OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
BzbYu67CQAAI30I.jpg

Of course it was due to a Chinese meltdown on bars but crazy to see US with the highest bar total.

2e4KQzTJD9hk9GEaVQo7.png

Nile Wilson of GB is out of the all around finals with a wrist injury :( but he'll be replaced by the fantastic Max Whitlock - hopefully he'll have the chance to redeem himself!

China had falls on floor and vault from that I remember too. The footage I watched barely even showed the Russians, but looking at the scores they must have had a lot of issues on beam again.

Iordache's beam for Romania was amazing - it think she got a 15.5. The Romanian's were really upset.

China had falls on floor and vault from that I remember too. The footage I watched barely even showed the Russians, but looking at the scores they must have had a lot of issues on beam again.

Iordache's beam for Romania was amazing - it think she got a 15.5. The Romanian's were really upset.
Yep. They cut a few performances but reading over a recap, China had a (nearly) knees down on vault, two falls on bars and a fall on floor. I'm still kind of amazed they were able to pull out second. Russia had a fall on beam and on floor. Romania had a fall on beam. USA had no falls, but a couple big wobbles on beam.

I'm bummed for Romania too. I was really hoping they would medal.

Nile Wilson of GB is out of the all around finals with a wrist injury :( but he'll be replaced by the fantastic Max Whitlock - hopefully he'll have the chance to redeem himself!
Interesting considering they were thinking about replacing Nile with Max anyways. Nile said he wanted to save his wrists for high bar..hmm

I'm still heavily bummed about Japan getting second by .100 in the men's team final. Like I'm still not ever it. I wanted King Kohei to have a team gold so badly :(

Interesting considering they were thinking about replacing Nile with Max anyways. Nile said he wanted to save his wrists for high bar..hmm
Can you do that? If one teammate qualified higher than the other (but both within range for all around) can you just enter the lower scoring one instead? (if there's no injury?)

Can you do that? If one teammate qualified higher than the other (but both within range for all around) can you just enter the lower scoring one instead? (if there's no injury?)
Yup technically its possible as long as they qualified in the top 24 countries can decide which two they nominate. Its just no one ever really does this anymore. Usually like in the 90s when this happen they said the other athlete was "injured" but

I think it goes in order of who would have qualified had the injured person not competed. Then if that person doesn't want to go, it goes to the next person down the list. I don't think you can sub a lower qualifier for someone higher just cause its your same country, but because of the 2 max per country rule, it may work out that it looks that way. For instance, if one country made up the entire top 4 AA, they may be able to put in whoever they want.

I think it goes in order of who would have qualified had the injured person not competed. Then if that person doesn't want to go, it goes to the next person down the list. I don't think you can sub a lower qualifier for someone higher just cause its your same country, but because of the 2 max per country rule, it may work out that it looks that way. For instance, if one country made up the entire top 4 AA, they may be able to put in whoever they want.
Makes since. I believe that happened with a couple of Olympic teams. Someone was injured, so you pull up your next highest qualifier. (ie Jordyn would have competed in all around in 2012 had Aly gone down with an injury). That poster mentioned that GBR was considering switching their all around competitor to "save" someone for an event final, with no injury actually occurring. I was wondering if that would have been allowed so sub in your next highest all around qualifier and still compete the person you pulled out in event finals. So like, the US could have pulled Aly and put in Jordyn in 2012, but still competed Aly in floor and beam finals later that week. So in this instance had he not been injured and out all together, will the removed GBR all around athlete still be eligible for his event finals?

Does this make sense to anyone? haha. I was just looking to someone more informed than I if this was legal

I read this article on the BBC website which says that they earned qualifying berths, not named places, which I think means Britain qualified two gymnasts to the final, but no specific two? It also says that they were going to let Nile compete as he earned his place fairly, but they must have decided it wasn't worth potentially making his wrist worse.

Makes since. I believe that happened with a couple of Olympic teams. Someone was injured, so you pull up your next highest qualifier. (ie Jordyn would have competed in all around in 2012 had Aly gone down with an injury). That poster mentioned that GBR was considering switching their all around competitor to "save" someone for an event final, with no injury actually occurring. I was wondering if that would have been allowed so sub in your next highest all around qualifier and still compete the person you pulled out in event finals. So like, the US could have pulled Aly and put in Jordyn in 2012, but still competed Aly in floor and beam finals later that week. So in this instance had he not been injured and out all together, will the removed GBR all around athlete still be eligible for his event finals?

Does this make sense to anyone? haha. I was just looking to someone more informed than I if this was legal
I think you're right! I know in 2011 Russia replaced Viktoria Komova with Afanasyeva during the floor final. Afan won too. I think Russia's done it multiple times, but that's the only example I can think of. And the US switched someone else and had MyKayla Skinner compete instead during the floor final at Jesolo. She won too.

I think gymnastics federations can just swap out athletes as long as they qualified. So I doubt removing him from the all around will have any affect on his eligibility for the event finals because he still qualified? A very unlikely example would be if the US replaced Simone Biles with MyKayla Skinner in the AA final coming up. I'm pretty sure Simone would be able to compete in vault, floor, and beam finals because they're different events that she qualified to. I hope this makes sense? I think it's just up to the federation and they have to have a qualifying score.

I think you're right! I know in 2011 Russia replaced Viktoria Komova with Afanasyeva during the floor final. Afan won too. I think Russia's done it multiple times, but that's the only example I can think of. And the US switched someone else and had MyKayla Skinner compete instead during the floor final at Jesolo. She won too.

I think gymnastics federations can just swap out athletes as long as they qualified. So I doubt removing him from the all around will have any affect on his eligibility for the event finals because he still qualified? A very unlikely example would be if the US replaced Simone Biles with MyKayla Skinner in the AA final coming up. I'm pretty sure Simone would be able to compete in vault, floor, and beam finals because they're different events that she qualified to. I hope this makes sense? I think it's just up to the federation and they have to have a qualifying score.
Interesting! So, if they had wanted to, the US could have competed Jordyn in all around instead of Aly in 2012. Or maybe the Olympic rules are different than other International competitions.

Back