Music Ascap

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Emma'sCheerMom

Cheer Parent
Aug 5, 2015
does anyone use, or is familiar with ASCAP? Looking into this as an option for our gym to have the licensing required for cheer mixes at comps and Showday.

I'm an artist and ASCAP is my publishing union for my music. The license you would receive from them would probably just give you the "right" to play just their artists' music. It won't give you the right or anyone else the right to reproduce or edit the original music in anyway shape or form with sound effects or voice overs. The best route to take would be to just do the covers honestly. From my experience as a music mixer for cheer... its the cheapest and easiest route to take. If you want to track down the artists and ask their permission to remix their music... power to you! Just thought I would help save you time and money.

does anyone use, or is familiar with ASCAP? Looking into this as an option for our gym to have the licensing required for cheer mixes at comps and Showday.

Hi Emma, in most cases, your event needs both an ASCAP and BMI performance license. Such a license covers the use of music in the physical space for which it is purchased, so your gym would need one set of licenses, and any other place where you perform your routines with music would need their own event license.

Here's the ASCAP page for licensing. Here's the BMI page for licensing.

Emma,,,there is a lot of confusion on music rights, lets see if I can make it a little simplier.

There are two seperate rights for any music, one is for the composers, one for the record companies. When you get an ASCAP/BMI/SESAC license (all 3 companies do the same thing,,some composers use ASCAP, others use SESAC OR BMI), you have the composers taken care of,,but then there is the record companies.

If you buy a song on, say itunes, you have the right to listen to it yourself,,that's it,,you can't use in to sync with a video, you can't use it in cheer competition (even if the venue has ASCAP/BMI/SESAC license) This is why you need for buy music from a source such as MintJam Music: Royalty Free Stock Music (I will make sure its' clear I work for Mint Jam Music) or a mix company that provides you with a mix "ready to go"

There is a LOT of confusion because the rights involving the composers and the music companies are totally seperate (but in some cases one group may own the rights to both,,we have our own writters so we do handle both).

I hope that helps

andy

Back