All-Star Asga Survey Results And Letter To Board

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

How many elite tumblers have gotten injured doing a toe touch or something else deemed relatively simple? Do we count that as a result of the wear and tear on the body too? Not trying to be difficult. Have seen this happen too many times. Currently I have an elite tumbler out because she fell down the stairs at home or school and broke her ankle. So how would you place her? She is def wearing a boot but it is not from cheer.

While I can agree that it isn't easy or straight forward to, but people can't just write things off as oh she had a double punch punch and got hurt in a full. Just people the skill people are getting injured on may have been deemed, easier, it doesn't mean that a harder skill didn't have an impact in that injury. And it seems that people who are against the restrictions are looking solely at the fact that people haven't gotten hurt IN THOSE SKILLS, when i believe there are more things to consider.

Regardless whether it actually takes the athlete out for one, or more, practices/comps?

Yes. Typically an injury requiring an examination, treatment, and follow up (all three for one acute injury) will most likely take an athlete out, or at the minimum put them on "light duty" for at least 5 days.

While I can agree that it isn't easy or straight forward to, but people can't just write things off as oh she had a double punch punch and got hurt in a full. Just people the skill people are getting injured on may have been deemed, easier, it doesn't mean that a harder skill didn't have an impact in that injury. And it seems that people who are against the restrictions are looking solely at the fact that people haven't gotten hurt IN THOSE SKILLS, when i believe there are more things to consider.

I definitely know overuse plays a part. This is why I limit reps of the kids doing skills. Again something taken from my years as a gymnastic coach. But I also think it will skew the numbers unless more definition to the type and cause of injury is added.

***ETA I used to always have disagreements with other coaches when too much tumbling was being done. Their argument was they had to know they could throw the skill even when tired and that they were using me as a crutch to get out of being pushed. My argument - one injury is one too many. I would not want my daughters looked as an oh well it was bound to happen sooner or later type situation when it came to training. So I can't look at anyone else's child that way.

The hard part is proving that the dubs the athlete can do actually DID have an impact on the busted full injury. How do you provie that, unless the athlete has previsouly been treated for repetitive-use injury or has an MRI that shows the breakdown of tissues caused specifically by doing dubs...not BHS, not tucks, not layouts, not fulls, but dubs. That's nearly impossible to determine.

I guess my response to this would be...while these banned skills MAY have had an impact on why an athlete was injured doing a full due to overuse, etc., skills that would still be legal would put just as much overuse on the body, if not more...I know my daughter practicing her standing full and two to doubles is easier on her body than if she was practicing a double through to double through to double...Overuse is overuse.

Yes. Typically an injury requiring an examination, treatment, and follow up (all three for one acute injury) will most likely take an athlete out, or at the minimum put them on "light duty" for at least 5 days.

Not really trying to be difficult here, I see that I am, nonetheless. But an "injury" - let's say a grade 1 sprain, may take an athlete out for a practice...maybe. Probably not mine, but she's just bad like that. So, that gets categorized as an "injury" just like a torn ACL? I think there are varying degrees of injury that need to be accounted for, hence my "catastrophic acute" suggestion above.

Not really trying to be difficult here, I see that I am, nonetheless. But an "injury" - let's say a grade 1 sprain, may take an athlete out for a practice...maybe. Probably not mine, but she's just bad like that. So, that gets categorized as an "injury" just like a torn ACL? I think there are varying degrees of injury that need to be accounted for, hence my "catastrophic acute" suggestion above.

Yes, however how many people will be likely to seek medical attention for that grade 1 sprain? If they do, typically R.I.C.E. is recommended, the patient is told to weight bear and return to activity as tol. , and follow up is recommended on a P.R.N. basis (that only meets 2 of my 3 criteria ;))

Yes, however how many people will be likely to seek medical attention for that grade 1 sprain? If they do, typically R.I.C.E. is recommended, the patient is told to weight bear and return to activity as tol. , and follow up is recommended on a P.R.N. basis (that only meets 2 of my 3 criteria ;))

Unless it's an athlete with a physician that would like the office visit payment or a mom that wants to make sure Suzie can tick tock next Wednesday, in which case, how do you determine over-treatment? Who decides when PRN follow-up is actually necessary? And that opens a margin of error in research studies that I seriously know nothing about... :)

Back