Athletic Training Within Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 2, 2016
Hi everyone, I am currently working on my kinesiology major in college and i was wondering if anyone has ever encountered athletic trainers, like those that typically work with football or hockey teams, that work at gyms or at competitions within cheer. I've followed the allstar cheer world for awhile now and always thought it would be such a cool job to have to work as a trainer for a gym or at competitions.

I have seen trainers at competitions, but I would LOVE it if we had a trainer that worked for our gym, with our athletes and could provide consistent care and advice for our kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly, thats why pro teams hire trainers and doctors, they get to know the players and when one of them gets hurt they treat the injury the whole time and constantly monitor them...with cheer getting to be such a big thing, i wouldn't be surprised if gyms start bringing people like me in to work with them ;)

Hi everyone, I am currently working on my kinesiology major in college and i was wondering if anyone has ever encountered athletic trainers, like those that typically work with football or hockey teams, that work at gyms or at competitions within cheer. I've followed the allstar cheer world for awhile now and always thought it would be such a cool job to have to work as a trainer for a gym or at competitions.
Many times, especially school teams. They come to competitions too.

As @KPep said, definitely school teams but at least where I'm from you're hired by the district and take care of all the teams, not just cheer.

I've never heard of an ATC receiving a paycheck from a gym to be there, but competitions (at least Varsity ones) seem to always have one or two on staff during events. I assume they work per diem.

I know there's a CEA dad on here with ATC in his username but everyone I just tried to tag didn't come up...:oops: so if anyone knows his username and can tag him, he can probably better answer your questions.

I've seen trainers at competitions! i believe, do not quote me on this, that UA has a trainer on staff in the building.

CheerMed Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation Services practices out of 3 Ontario gyms (Cheer Sport Sharks, Power Cheer Toronto and Ultimate Canadian Cheer. They also sponsor Team Canada and head to Worlds with them. They do physio, rehab, massage, chiro and all things similar. I believe a lot of them (or maybe all) are former cheerleaders who filled the medical niche for cheer. Home is their website

There are some gyms with ATs but unfortunately few and far between. Same with school cheer but due to liabilities that is slowly improving.

It's severely lacking in cheer as whole because many cheer coaches don't want to be told by an official medical person that they can't push there athletes through injuries and the USASF and AACCA don't enforce anything close to real medical or safety protocols.

Back