All-Star Average Variation In Scores

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

alpaca

Cheer Parent
Apr 21, 2017
First off , I understand that cheer is judged sport and therefore you can't really compare scores from one comp to another. I get that there are a lot of factors and as long as scoring seems consistent within the same comp, that's what matters. I'm just trying to understand scoring a little better.

CP is in a lower level team at a small gym. We have been to a few local comps so far this season. The first 2 comps the the routine scored about the same. But this last comp the routine scored 3 points lower. Personally I thought they performed the best so far at the comp where they scored the lowest.

It seems like this judging panel gave lower scores to everyone across the board. The highest score of the day was lower than at the other comps. But 3 points less for the same routine when they hit? Is that within the normal range of variation among judging panels. The range of scores is so narrow (usually about 10 points from the highest scoring to the lowest scoring) that I wish judging panels could be more consistent.

We've seen 1 phenomenal team so far this season that scored a 96. That's the highest from all the comps so far this season. Do teams ever score a perfect 100?

I think it's hard to say what an average would be because of the comparative scoring. You're judged based on how you compare to the other teams in your division, not exactly based on a set rubric/scoresheet. Order of performance can also play a role as larger divisions can have a larger variance in score. Also, if you go first in your division, the judges may start lower. But then if the first team is the best team, the other teams would then score even lower than that.

It's really difficult to look at scores and use that as a base of improvement from one comp to the next. Also why I've started to care less about scores, placement is what really matters in the end. And as you said, some judging panels may just be judging harder than others. This is definitely one thing that should improve in this sport as it's not the best, but that's just how it is right now.

I've never seen a perfect 100 (or whatever the max has been in the past as it is always changing) in all my years in cheer. I think I remember BSB getting around a 99.6 or something within the last couple years, but that's the closest I've seen.

This year is also a new "rubric" of technique ranges and scores so the event producer this past weekend made it VERY clear to expect tech scores lower than you've ever seen before.

We won our division last weekend with a total score of 88 (which is one of the lowest scores my team has ever gotten) and I thought we nailed our routine. The judges gave us tech scores just tenths higher than the lowest possible score though.

I'm curious to see how this carries over from competition to competition. The other judging panel seemed to be judging similar to last year and scores were quite a bit higher than our judging panel. But at least across the division, scores were consistent. The teams that were supposed to win...won.

In general (even though I keep a spreadsheet for each competition season with the entire divisions breakdown), I try not to compare scores from event to event. I just look for the general trend of where we are scoring the lowest and the constructive comments.

As a coach, I do not look at scores comp over comp. I will only focus on comments from judges and adjust accordingly. It’s very hard to compare comp over comp as the judges vary, which will vary your subjective categories as well as sometimes your in range difficulty scores. Technique is always a variable as that can change ranges all year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back