All-Star Back Injuries

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 11, 2016
I've torn a muscle in my lower back. Other than ice and heat, what would you advise for recovery and how to speed the recovery time up?

If anyone else has had the same or a similar injury, how long was it before you could cheer properly again or at least do jumps and stunt?

Thanks.

Don't push the recovery time! unless you are on a summit team or are international your season is probably over so rest as long as possible. I came back too early becuase my back muscle injury was in January right before Jamfest Super Nationals. I remember I downplayed it so I wouldn't be taken out and I was crying and living off icy hot and adrenaline for that weekend for both of my teams. After that weekend I was put on restriction for stunting for a few weeks and If I remember correctly I was taken out of tumbling for the rest of the season. I had back problems on and off the rest of my 5 years of cheering and still to this day. So take my advice and don't push it!

Definitely go see a Physical Therapist or Chiropractor. I have done both, and they really help with recovery (and PT helps you figure out your weaknesses…usually the core.) You don't want to rush a back injury.

Please go and see a medical professional. They are the only ones that can tell you how long recovery will take based on your symptoms and the specifics of your injury. And I'm not sure that you can speed it up.

For reference, a girl at CP's gym had an 'overuse' injury' with pain in her back. She attended PT for several weeks and didn't return to tumbling for at least 8 weeks iirc. Because she followed Dr's orders, she was fully healed when she returned to tumbling it was as if she had never taken a break. She didn't lose skills.

Thanks guys, my season doesn't end for 2 more months, I'm seeing a physical therapist next week but I still want symptoms to ease off a bit before then. Did any of you have a muscle injury in their back and that side of your body even your abdominal muscles were extremely tight? This is whats happening to me now and it seems to be getting tighter each day, I'm just worried on not being able to carry on but I know that my back is a serious issue.

Other than the usual Backbends etc, are there any minimal stretches that don't require as much strength that could help for the tightness? As I'm thinking of doing some light stretches in the meantime to try and get some pressure off it.

After an MRI, CPs "torn muscle" turned out to be fractures as well. Please ensure your physician checks all possibilities so that your treatment is the right one.

It is extremely difficult for anyone to give you any specific exercises or stretches to give you without a proper evaluation beforehand. This is especially true for the back as certain things can make it worse. I would just rest it for now and continue icing and wait until you see your PT.

I would not do anything before going to therapy. You could do more harm than good. Better to be it for a while than push through and get severely injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely ice for 2 weeks after injury and then use heat if it's been longer than that. Don't do any stretches or exercises until a PT sees you. You could make it far worse. No heavy lifting either, full rest until a PT sees you.

I badly pulled a few muscles on the left side of my spine mid 2016 season and I iced it at first but heat helped me more to relieve pain. I have a massage machine that I brought at my physio which also really helps but those can be quite expensive. Not sure if this is just my physio, but when I go I get light electric shock therapy which has helped so so much in my recovery. Go and see your physio is the major thing, even if it's mid season.

Back