Back Spotting Tips?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 12, 2012
Hey everyone!
I've been put as a back spot for the first time on my level 4 team and i'm usually a base.
so does anyone have any tips? anything to always keep in mind when stunting?
tumbling is really weak for me so i'm hoping to really excel in stunting.
Cheers,
Emerson xx

butt! seriously! don't be afraid to push the flyer's butt up into the stunt! It won't always be pretty from where you're standing, but you can have a ton of power if you really push her butt up! also being In the back you can see if the flyer is uneven which can help a lot too, then you don't have to wait for her to tell the bases who needs to fix it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Watch your flyers head and shoulders. If you keep your eyes there, you will always be able to see where she's going. And the head is the body part you need to protect the most so catching the torso is your #1 priority in a cradle or a fall. You're her "first responder" in case of emergency!

I've been a back since I moved to level 4. If you can push the flyers butt up the stunt won't have a hard time getting in the air. Lift as much as you can. Grab wherever you have to on the flyer to keep her in the air (if you're tall enough I can grab my flyers upper thigh in an extension on my level 3 team I would recommend that if you have to) DONT DROP YOUR FLYER EVER! If the flyer falls it's usually back and towards you, do not be scared to dive to the floor to catch her (I'm very experienced at this) when your flyer is twisting down make sure you turn to the side to catch her so she doesn't get a mouth full of shoulder. That's pretty much it! Beat of luck!

Hey everyone!
I've been put as a back spot for the first time on my level 4 team and i'm usually a base.
Cheers,
Emerson xx
-always keep your eyes on the flyer
- (since y'all are doing advances baskets) be careful in baskets and watch her carefully
- try to pull up as much as possible (especially with a bigger flyer)
- and "mat talk" to your bases if possible

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Try to block fullups etc, lift as much as you can, catch cradles/doubles/falls as high as you can, and aaaaalways catch your flyer. Like seriously, throw yourself into a wall to catch her lol

In my gym, when we are practicing stunts, the back spot is the person who calls out counts/ what is happening. Be sure to use a loud, clear voice so everyone knows what's happening. Also if a stunt is falling, you're in the best position to catch the flyer, so be focused at all times and keep your eyes on the flyer

-Eyes on the flyer at all times
- Even in a full out (yes, while you're dying), count in every stunt, outloud & loud enough over the music for your flyer. You could just Count 1,3,5,7 if you need.
- Put them up as if you were putting her up by youself.
- when it comes to phyically putting a stunt up. Chuck her.

Congrats on moving to my favorite stunting position! Everyone's advice given is wonderful and right on point, the only thing that I would like to add is that once you are comfortable backing, use that confidence to your advantage! Talk to your stunt group while you stunt- not conversationally, but more of a- "stay tight" "grab that foot" "almost there"- type of thing. Your confidence in backing will be able to help your bases and flyer excel in the stunt. Also, talk to your flyer about what you can do to help her stay in the air. If you are playing around with techniques, get their input. Some flyers need you on their ankle no matter what, some need to you throw from their seat all the time, some don't mind if you toss ankles. If you can help make them comfortable your job will be much easier. Same goes for bases- did a stunt not go that great? Talk it out. I tell my backspots that they are in control of the entire stunt, why? Because they can see everything- they have eyes on the flyer at all times, and they can see/feel if the bases are off. They are in charge of counting and calling when to come down. If this excites you then its your time to shine!

Get close to the stunt. Nothing bothers me more than back spots grabbing the ankle from a foot away from the bases. If you're not close, there's no way you're pulling up. Get close (I'm usually touching my bases) so you can actually be effective.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Hey everyone!
Cheers,
Emerson xx
I've been a backspot for 4 years and the best advice I can give you is ALLOW YOURSELF TO GET HIT.
But in all seriousness you'll figure out really quick how to do it, because it is really the easiest part of the stunt but also the hardest. Just always remember to help out your bases and flyer as much as you possibly can and never let your flyer hit the ground.

Back