College Back Tuck Baskets

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That's scary... I'm worried for you, don't let her push you too hard!

Didn't think this would be a problem at the college level, shouldn't it be obvious how potentially dangerous inverted baskets and 2.5 high pyramids are.
She works for NCA so she should know.. We've had so many people quit this year that she's pushing everyone to be their best.. I'm not sure how much more my knees can take..

My coach wanted my team to have team double downs from arabesque. Only two could safely double from preps but it was still pushed for. We had five injuries and a trip to the emergency room for a tooth that got knocked back half a centimeter, all in the practice with the double down push. Higher level skills need to be worked on for a good amount of time, not just thrown in one practice. I feel for you @TinyBlondie15.

We compete D1. Thankfully not D1A even though our school is D1A, we just don't have a football team.. We can hit 2-2-1 pyramids no problem. The back tuck basket is what terrifies (sp?) me. If we get our act together we can hit a routine that will take us to finals based off of last years videos. If ya'll wanna see some of our progress and such here's our instagram: Instagram

Nope... She just wants me to go right to back tuck baskets.. She's rushed me with a lot of things and I've gotten them (such as a half-up to lib on regular and opposite legs and 2-2-1 pyramids)
Tuck baskets are the next step for after Toe Touch's in the progression lineup of collegiate basket skills.
A lot of people keep saying shins to forehead, knees to chest, etc. Those are close but what they are trying to suggest is how to get your flip rotation going. Instead of knees to chest, think knees over your head or to the back of your head.

The ride is going to be your biggest help; load in, stand quick, arms up, ride ride ride (arms still up), knees over your head, once you see the group below you open up your tuck and get ready to catch your landing.

If you have access to a gymnastics trampoline, grab a spot and have them flip you from your feet over to your butt. That is the best basket simulation available.

Tuck baskets are the next step for after Toe Touch's in the progression lineup of collegiate basket skills.
A lot of people keep saying shins to forehead, knees to chest, etc. Those are close but what they are trying to suggest is how to get your flip rotation going. Instead of knees to chest, think knees over your head or to the back of your head.

The ride is going to be your biggest help; load in, stand quick, arms up, ride ride ride (arms still up), knees over your head, once you see the group below you open up your tuck and get ready to catch your landing.

If you have access to a gymnastics trampoline, grab a spot and have them flip you from your feet over to your butt. That is the best basket simulation available.
We don't even do toe touches.. Just straight rides to tucks.. I haven't had to do them yet as we have 2 extra flyers (myself included).

We don't even do toe touches.. Just straight rides to tucks.. I haven't had to do them yet as we have 2 extra flyers (myself included).

I don´t want to scare you. I don´t personally know you, so i can not tell if you are ready for a tuck basket or not. They are not to hard, but you have to know what you are doing: body control, knowing how to start the rotation at the right point etc. And it´s correct that you don´t need a standing tuck to learn a back tuck basket. And i´ve seen girls learn this skills without any knowledge of flipping in tumbling. But i´ve also seen a lot of gone bad tuck baskets.

It seems your coach plays games with safety because she wants to have as much difficulty in the routine as possible. In my opinion, that´s just wrong.

So, i have an advice, more like a tip what you could ask her for, even though i think there are better ways to learn a tuck basket, this would be a little more safe than just "Go for it":
Ask her if you can have two prep bracers on each side so they can assist a little with the rotation. Because if you are scared (and it seems you are), there is a little risk that you won´t go all the way and the bracers will slow you down.

If it´s easy for you, try one bracer so you can focus to ride (and use the free arm to pull up first) the basket before you rotate.

Like i said, not my favorite way to teach flipping baskets, but to tell someone who doesn´t do tucks on tramp or floor with a spot and knows the steps isn´t a safe way (for me). I´d at least expect she will give you really good spotters for your first attempt.

Edit: Your instagram looks good. Don´t know why, i assumed you were an allgirl squad - great pyramids.

Stay safe :cheering:

I don´t want to scare you. I don´t personally know you, so i can not tell if you are ready for a tuck basket or not. They are not to hard, but you have to know what you are doing: body control, knowing how to start the rotation at the right point etc. And it´s correct that you don´t need a standing tuck to learn a back tuck basket. And i´ve seen girls learn this skills without any knowledge of flipping in tumbling. But i´ve also seen a lot of gone bad tuck baskets.

It seems your coach plays games with safety because she wants to have as much difficulty in the routine as possible. In my opinion, that´s just wrong.

So, i have an advice, more like a tip what you could ask her for, even though i think there are better ways to learn a tuck basket, this would be a little more safe than just "Go for it":
Ask her if you can have two prep bracers on each side so they can assist a little with the rotation. Because if you are scared (and it seems you are), there is a little risk that you won´t go all the way and the bracers will slow you down.

If it´s easy for you, try one bracer so you can focus to ride (and use the free arm to pull up first) the basket before you rotate.

Like i said, not my favorite way to teach flipping baskets, but to tell someone who doesn´t do tucks on tramp or floor with a spot and knows the steps isn´t a safe way (for me). I´d at least expect she will give you really good spotters for your first attempt.

Edit: Your instagram looks good. Don´t know why, i assumed you were an allgirl squad - great pyramids.

Stay safe :cheering:
Thank you!! I was, thankfully, not put into the basket section as a flyer so if I ever end up doing one, I will come back and reference this! Hopefully other new to level 6 skills people will read this, too!

Thank you!! I was, thankfully, not put into the basket section as a flyer so if I ever end up doing one, I will come back and reference this! Hopefully other new to level 6 skills people will read this, too!

I´m glad you are happy and i´m sure when it comes to learning this skill, you will do great!

Does your coach have any sort of progression plan for you? It sounds to me like she is rushing you through skills.

Maybe working ball-ups would help?

I did a back tuck toss my first week or so on my college team. I don't remember what baskets I could do before (maybe a non-flipping tuck-x), but it doesn't require much more than a toe touch to do. What kind of progressions you think should be done before a tuck toss. They're really pretty straight forward. Pull your knees over your head and you'll flip. I learned on boys though so I guess there's a lot more air time for error.

I also learned double downs from aero. We were a coed team, we didn't do preps.

Back