College Back Tuck Baskets

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I did a back tuck toss my first week or so on my college team. I don't remember what baskets I could do before (maybe a non-flipping tuck-x), but it doesn't require much more than a toe touch to do. What kind of progressions you think should be done before a tuck toss. They're really pretty straight forward. Pull your knees over your head and you'll flip. I learned on boys though so I guess there's a lot more air time for error.

I also learned double downs from aero. We were a coed team, we didn't do preps.
I have no idea what progressions should be taught (hence why I asked). I find it surprising to hear that they are easier than kick doubles, I always thought the opposite.

I have no idea what progressions should be taught (hence why I asked). I find it surprising to hear that they are easier than kick doubles, I always thought the opposite.

Kick doubles were the hardest things in life for me. A back tuck basket is literally just flipping. I was better at those than any other basket

Kick doubles were the hardest things in life for me. A back tuck basket is literally just flipping. I was better at those than any other basket

I've never actually done a kick full or kick double. My hs team only did the basics - toe touches, pikes, etc. I tried a kick single once in college, I kicked and promptly dropped my chest and dove. My body wanted to flip. I'd say they're way harder, but I also can't twist in baskets ha.

I can back tuck toss in my sleep on the crappiest group. I'd rather tuck than toe touch.

In any case, level 6/college baskets aren't really a natural progression from level 5. It's more like a progression from level 3.

We have a girl on our senior team who wants to cheer in college. She's not a flyer, but is a tumbler. She's been working out with my coed team and our coach (former NCA staffer, has a worlds globe in IOC6) had her do some straight rides and then tuck the next practice. I'm not sure she's ever done baskets before. They're not hard.

I hate to teach kick fulls or kick doubles, it´s harder than a tuck basket because it has more steps and more body controll is needed to execute well.

I have to add i´m never worried to let tumblers fly L6 baskets as soon as they know how to do a straight ride, but someone who never did a tuck (front or back, tramp or drills) will not fly a tuck basket at my gym. And that because i´ve seen girls not understand how the rotation works, pretty scary when someone pulls shoulders to knees and stops mid-air head over heels.
Still got her, but scary :)

I hate to teach kick fulls or kick doubles, it´s harder than a tuck basket because it has more steps and more body controll is needed to execute well.

I have to add i´m never worried to let tumblers fly L6 baskets as soon as they know how to do a straight ride, but someone who never did a tuck (front or back, tramp or drills) will not fly a tuck basket at my gym. And that because i´ve seen girls not understand how the rotation works, pretty scary when someone pulls shoulders to knees and stops mid-air head over heels.
Still got her, but scary :)

Ehhhh...I don't think tumbling and baskets are really related. When I cheered in college, I had a solid full on dead mat and a standing tuck. I could do a back tuck basket, an X out, and an x full basket but I could never get the concept of a full (twisting/flipping) basket and I had been throwing fulls for a couple years at that point. I always got lost in the middle of it and never pulled my toes through [emoji28]

But I probably just really sucked at college baskets [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ehhhh...I don't think tumbling and baskets are really related. When I cheered in college, I had a solid full on dead mat and a standing tuck. I could do a back tuck basket, an X out, and an x full basket but I could never get the concept of a full (twisting/flipping) basket and I had been throwing fulls for a couple years at that point. I always got lost in the middle of it and never pulled my toes through [emoji28]

But I probably just really sucked at college baskets [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are connected loosely.. body control, twisting ability, flipping ability, core strength .. but that said they still can be tough in many ways as you know. The biggest for fulls being the pulling of the toes. My wife still is pissed when she thinks about baskets from years ago where she wishes she would've pulled her toes more to fix her basket lol

Back