Back Tuck Help?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 11, 2015
Ok so first just a little background. I used to be a USAG level 5 gymnast, but this summer I quit. Before I quit, and even a little after, I have been working on my back tuck. On a couple of occasions, I've been able to get it, but I don't have it the next day. The biggest problem I find I'm running into is on my landing. The first part of my tuck is good, but when I land, I always fall forwards or I find myself landing on my feet but then falling to my knees.
I'm doing my tuck on a panel mat that I have at home and I can consistently do it off of 2 panels, and then sometimes off of 1, but when I just have the mat flat, I'm falling forwards.
Once again, it's not that I'm landing on my knees, but I'm just going straight to my knees from my feet.
I really need to get my tuck. Thanks!!

Landing on your knees could be one of two things - rotating too slow in the air, or not setting well/high enough and thus not having enough time/air to get around in time. Your coach should be able to tell you which one it is. My CP (also a gymnast) struggled a lot w/ the first issue when learning her standing tuck because she was so used to the timing of a running handspring tuck and flyaways which give you a lot more hang time in the air, and, as you know, are usually introduced in gymnastics before a standing tuck). Took lots of time and practice but she eventually got the timing right and now they are really nice.

Landing on your knees could be one of two things - rotating too slow in the air, or not setting well/high enough and thus not having enough time/air to get around in time. Your coach should be able to tell you which one it is. My CP (also a gymnast) struggled a lot w/ the first issue when learning her standing tuck because she was so used to the timing of a running handspring tuck and flyaways which give you a lot more hang time in the air, and, as you know, are usually introduced in gymnastics before a standing tuck). Took lots of time and practice but she eventually got the timing right and now they are really nice.
Yes…I definitely have had some problems with my tucks as far as setting goes, I used to just go straight back. I gave myself somewhere to look while I'm setting so I don't whip my head around quite as much, and it's been better, but I've still had problems. I think slow rotation is also a very possible reason, since after I video taped it, I could see that I was going down too soon into the rotation. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back