Back tuck setting?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 29, 2013
I've been working on my standing tuck for a while and one of the things holding me back is I don't set. Everyone tells me that, and tells me how to do so, but u just never do it right. I always go up and don't fully extend before I just tuck in. Does anyone have tips for this or just standing tuck tips in general?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I like to do this drill, only I add an incline mat on top of that pit mat-the higher end of the incline closest to the athlete. It should be about mid back height when the athlete is standing with his/her back to the mats, this forces them to set up, not back.

I have the same problem. Here are solutions
-Do shoulder stretches to improve your range of motion so that you can set well.
-Spot something. In dance, you spot something while turning in order to effectively rotate. The same with your tuck. While setting, make sure you're looking at something to assure you're taking the time to set. When you land, you should look up to see what you were spotting as you were setting. That's what really helps me.

one of our girls was rushing her tuck, which was essentially cutting off her set by trying to pull the tuck before she was off the ground. Without seeing it its hard to know if it is that kind of not setting or if its the dropping the shoulders back version of not setting.

I would get folding panel mats and an 8 inch crash mat and do straight jumps up to the highest stack of panel mats that you can without having to tuck your legs in to make it, snapping your arms up to your ears and pushing all the way off your toes in your jump. do 5 of those and then a tuck off of the panel mats onto the 8 inch mat and unfolding it as you go until you are doing your tuck from the ground up to the mat. by the time you can successfully go from the ground you should have a good set.

key points to remember-
Snap your arms up to your ears
push all the way through your toes in your jump
don't try to tuck before you're off the ground
don't drop/throw your shoulders back in your jump
think about bringing your legs and hips up over your head instead of trying to throw your head under your butt

Back