Back Walkover Help!?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 5, 2014
I've been working for my back walk over for a month or so. And I just can't seem to get it! I go into the backbend but then like stop trying to kick my leg over. I can do it on a wall and with a spotter, but not myself. My problem is kicking over, I don't know if it's a momentum problem or what. Any advice? I need my walkover for competitive season in 2 months!

Try kicking a little earlier! If you can't get your foot off of the ground it's probably just because you're kicking too late.
And make sure your base leg stays locked. Mine used to do like a weird step and it made my walkover a lot harder.
Good luck!!! Hope this helps :)

How is your shoulder and hand alignment? When you do a bridge, are your shoulders over your hands or behind them? If your shoulders are not flexible enough to get squarely over your hands, that can cause what you are describing. This was my CP's problem for a long time with back walkovers. She had the power and control in her legs to kick over, but didn't have enough flexibility to transfer her weight to her shoulders and hands.

I have had this problem with my back walkover, too. I always am able to do it when I kick really hard and push some off my base foot. also the more you arch your back the easier it is :)

I have had this problem with my back walkover, too. I always am able to do it when I kick really hard and push some off my base foot. also the more you arch your back the easier it is :)
No, no, no you shouldn't be using your back to get over in any skill. That is going to lead to back problems! If you have to arch your back, you are compensating for a lack of flexibility somewhere else.

Back