Backhandspring Tips

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 1, 2015
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks on getting a back handspring. I'm currently working on it, and when I get a bit better I will post a video here to see if anyone has any corrections for me. Thanks for your input! :)

Make sure to keep you arms by your ears, sit back, don't bend at your elbows and ups through your shoulders. Squeeze you legs/ankles so you don't do frog legs

Handstand push-ups and handstand shoulder taps will really help build up your arm and shoulder strength. Make sure to keep a really tight core and legs during so you can create muscle memory for good form! Hollow holds and candle stick jumps (or single leg candle stick jumps!) are also good conditioning drills.

During the jump focus on pushing through your toes to get maximum height while going back and it will help keep your legs straight and toes pointed. If you cut the jump short and throw your head back, your legs will bend and your arms will most likely bend as well.

Once you get a video up, I'm sure a bunch of us could give you some specific pointers and drills to work on :)

The biggest thing I've learnt (and a mistake I had personally) was that i used to throw my head back much too early. It's a HAND spring, so let your hands go back first with a proper explosive jump-back. Also what type of BHS are you training for? Running or standing?

Back