Bad Sportsmanship Or Justified?

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by lexikae, Apr 9, 2019.

1. lexikae

lexikae I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete

So I have tried and tried to find an actual video of the full routine but I have failed horribly at doing so. So the above video is as good as it gets for this particular routine. I also included a video link from Twitter.

So what's everyone thoughts and opinions on this? Yes, I get we have all been scored unfairly at some point. I mean leys be honest here allstar cheer and cheer in general has some of the most inconsistent scoring ever. But still being scored unfairly does not justify doing this, this is just childish and unsportsmanlike. This team could have definitely handled this differently like go out and give the best routine and performance they have ever given...not marking senior elites stunt and playing leap frog.

2. Cheeranswers

Cheeranswers Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Embarrassing.

3. tojofasho

tojofasho When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    MsCoachMartin
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    If I was the coach of that team, I'd be so beyond humiliated.

Oh wait...the coach was the one who told them to improv? Even more embarassing.

I wasn't a fan of G.I. Pros when they did it last year, but at least they still did their routine clean and just marked stunts/tumbling. This is the most childish thing I've ever seen - I don't care how mad you are about a score, this behavior is not justified.

4. lexikae

lexikae I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    If I was at this gym I would legit not be returning for the following season. For the coach to allow this type of behavior and encourage makes me question the leadership at this gym. If this had happened at my current gym the coach(es) of this team would have gotten in trouble or even fired and the athletes would have gotten in trouble as well. Their are many different ways to handle things you dont like, and this is not the way too handle unfair scoring

5. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    It's beyond disrespectful and those coaches effectively taught their team that if things aren't what you think they they should be, you should just throw a protest hissy fit and say eff it.

Great life lesson.

I'd rather have my kids go out day 2 and hit harder and better and explain that things don't always go your way, but that doesn't mean you act like a jerk about it.

6. twincheermom

twincheermom I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    1, I am not sure my daughters would go along with this, nor do I think anyone on their team would.
    2. Their coaches for sure would not go along with this.
    3. At our gym, a coach would be fired before the conclusion of the routine if they sanctioned this, which clearly their coaches did.
    4. It is for sure an embarrassment to their whole program. Good luck recruiting new athletes to your gym if this is what you do when you don't like your score.

7. Lower Level Queen

Lower Level Queen Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I’m just having trouble compehending who thought this was a good idea. This is just so far beyond crazy and unacceptable in my mind. Its okay to be mad. But this is not the way to handle it. Go out on day 2 and prove the judges wrong.

8. DonnaM

DonnaM I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Guess we should have stayed a bit longer on Day 2! (We saw them Day 1-I’m not sure they really were underscored. They might have hit zero, but they were nowhere near maxed out on the score sheet)

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • List
  9. Lisa Seye

Lisa Seye I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    This makes me sad for the lack of leadership in this program. Did judges score them unfairly? I dont know, not having seen their day 1 vid. BUT even if so, this is poor sportsmanship. A coach who allows or promotes this is not one I want coaching my kid. A good sport rises above challenges and obstacles. I didn't agree with proathletics marking their routine at Battle at the Beach last year and I definitely would not condone this joke of a routine. Incidentally, proathletics is closing this year and they always had some great routines and teams. Not that they are closing due to what happened last year. Just a side note.

This team made a mockery of the sport of cheer. Find other ways to protest. Dont go back to that event anymore. Send a letter explaining why you wont be back. Withdraw from the competition, all of your teams. But don't do this. All you did was make fools of your athletes, your team, the parents, and the whole program.

10. 5monkeysjumping

5monkeysjumping I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    there are a couple of gyms I know of I could see having a temper tantrum and doing something immature like that. My daughter has never been to a place like that and never would. Her gym and coaches have always handled every loss with integrity and respect. I imagine there are many other issues at that gym and this isn’t the only instance of poor behavior.

11. quietmom

quietmom Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    exhaustedmom79
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I'd pull my kid and never let them return if they did that. The example the adults are sending to the athletes is ghastly. There's definitely something wrong here, and from what I can see it's not the judges. This looks like a temper tantrum thrown by the coaches who feel entitled. There's such a thing as class, dignity, and grace when you lose. Cheer can help athletes grow and deal with not winning. There are so many life lessons to be learned from this sport that athletes can take to adulthood to become successful. These coaches did the exact opposite, and it's disgraceful and disgusting.

12. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I laughed. But seriously, this is something you think/joke about doing. You don’t actually DO it.

ETA: Lord help me, the more I watch this the funnier it gets. The worm that comes out of nowhere. That cradle. That BT after the cradle. That girl’s full that just lets the judges know, “Yes I can and I just did.” And then the girl blowing kisses at the end. It’s like the skit you do at camp of what a bad cheer team looks like. Except it’s at a comp. For points.

Again: terrible coaching decision. But really made my afternoon.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  13. wishfulthinking

wishfulthinking Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Just want to point out that the NNA mix was the best thing ever.

14. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Was this a local comp? If I was a parent id be pissed. If they knew they were coming in last regardless of what they did day two then pull out of the comp and go home.
    Id be pissed as a parent if i had sit around all day the next day just to watch my kid leap frog over their teammate...
    There were SO many better ways to protest the score then to send the kids out there to act a fool....

15. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    This gym owes a refund of these comp fees to every single parent. Plus gas, hotel, etc.