Bad Sportsmanship Or Justified?

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by lexikae, Apr 9, 2019.

1. icequeen

icequeen Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan

Also one of their athletes is threatening to kick people who don't agree with this performance butt, to put it nicely. If I was in the Orlando area and looking for a gym I would run not walk the other way.

2. RobinSparkles

RobinSparkles Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    _robin_sparkles
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Yeah, but then they wouldn't be getting all this attention they clearly craved.

3. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Why did she quit?

4. lexikae

lexikae I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete

Honestly The gym wasnt a good fit for her. She has always been the type that's a hard worker, gives everything her all, and wants her wins to be earned not given to her. Basically she said that the gym lacked sportsmanship, and unfortunately this was not the first time this gym has done something like this. The reason she ended up at this gym was mainly because she ended up having to move to Florida after tryouts for that season, and this was the closest gym that needed a female athlete.

5. Kiermyc

Kiermyc Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

This is the gyms statement. Still doesn’t change a thing for me. Intentions don’t really mean that much. They allowed their kids to make fools of themselves and i don’t imagine people will be flocking to their gym over this except the type of kids they can have anyway. Being scored unfairly has happened to almost every team. If the coaches can’t resolve it you stop going to that comp. Not sure what this viewpoint is if you hit you automatically will be ahead of a team with deductions. Tired of hearing about favoritism some gyms are just better plain and simple step up your game.

6. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I would love to c the scores from day 1 to day 2 if they state it was similar to other teams doing their regular routine......still not right in my opinion to do what they did.

7. lexikae

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I dont know where to find the scores. I found the placements for the competition though. They did come in last place in the division. A rockstar cheer team won, and a team from ace was 2nd.

8. CLynn

CLynn I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I would love to see those day 1 videos.

9. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    If the gym is truly upset about the scoring, maybe release the score sheets to the public to prove a point that the comp had unfair scoring......

10. lexikae

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Only thing I could find was a vlog that one of the rockstar twisted sis athletes did for the competition

11. Kiermyc

Kiermyc Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I would love to see day 1 also. Still doesn’t sit right with me regardless. There’s better ways to get your point across.

12. Eyes On The Prize

Eyes On The Prize Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Teams can drop kids on their faces and STILL score higher than a team that isn't competitive in the same division who hit zero... There are loads of reasons a team who fell still score higher than a team who hit.

Without specifics or any sort of transparency, I am not convinced. All of Fuel's teams placed last at that event according to the results that were published. They said their senior 4 had a rough day one and still scored higher than teams who hit. And then they played hokey pokey day two and still scored the same as teams who hit? Who are they comparing themselves to? Did those teams have the same panel of judges? Are they even comparing themselves to their own division or level? Did they only hokey pokey during that stunt sequence or did they compete other skills?

From the outside, it just seems they don't understand scoring practices and got mad :wasntme:

13. Cheeranswers

Cheeranswers Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Or realized they weren’t going to win anyway and decided to give themselves an out...

... too far??

14. DonnaM

DonnaM I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    As is usual, there are differences between divisions, but the score sheets really don’t look much different as far as possible points than at other competitions using the same choreography, and where our teams lost points on execution, it was justified. And this competition was pretty typical for the end of the season, where teams have maxed out the score sheet, and there are few obvious errors. There were a lot of divisions where almost every team hit zero, and ones that didn’t one day, probably did the other. We weren’t thrilled with our placements for all our teams-but the ones that didn’t place as well had errors that other teams in their division didn’t, and I can’t take issue with the teams that did win because they earned it.

I honestly have trouble recognizing the competition from their statements because from my perspective, this seemed like one of the best run ones we’ve been to all year, and the judging seemed tough, but fair-appropriate for April.

15. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    There is absolutely nothing a gym can say to justify not going out and giving 100% no matter what is happening with the EP, judges, other teams, parents, etc. There is too much money and effort spent to do anything otherwise. As others have said, if you aren't happy with the way the competition was run, then follow up with communication to the EP and don't give them future business.