Beating School Cheer Politics?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In addition, we've had bad experiences with some All Star cheer girls acting like they owned the joint. It's so bad that our Principal put the squads back to traditional Sr-Jr Varsity and So-Fr JV. Not all AS cheerleaders are that way but from where I sat, the flyers were the worst.

《sent from my phone or kindle and typing with fat fingers》

Cutting out outside judges does wonders. It seems backwards but the "panel" was made up of random teachers who knew little about skills, but DID know (for example) that last year, Suzie got picked over Sally whom she has in class and totally loves. So she goes out of her way to judge in a way that benefits Sally and penalizes Suzie.

What other activity selects athletes that way?

Cutting out outside judges does wonders. It seems backwards but the "panel" was made up of random teachers who knew little about skills, but DID know (for example) that last year, Suzie got picked over Sally whom she has in class and totally loves. So she goes out of her way to judge in a way that benefits Sally and penalizes Suzie.

What other activity selects athletes that way?
Who do you recommend for judges? Out of curiosity, I don't get any say as a parent, obviously. Looking from a coaches perspective for your team--this is what I have seen around here.

Current school used to have the coach and outgoing seniors judge. This past year they brought in judges that were available in area when our coach talked to Varsity. Coach had final decision. We were supposed to have 16. There was a tie--should have dropped both girls, but we ended up with 17.

Former school has brought in teachers from other schools and cheerleaders from the local university. The cheerleaders were the year the teams were expanding up from 9 to 12. Middle school coach had a minimum score to meet and only 11 girls made it.

I've had myself and other coaches who work with us judge. I am just one piece of the panel and don't have any more "pull" than anyone else.

I mean, the coaching staff is going to be working with the athletes. They should be able to participate in selection on some level.

I don't use seniors because they still have best friends on the team and it is impossible for them to be impartial. I do have them teach the material, though.

Everything doesn't work well for every program and for some, outside Varsity panel is the way to go. I just think that "random panel of teachers" that I've seen elsewhere is crazy. See also: The "student body vote" method. I didn't even know it was real until a friend taught at a school that used it. It sounds like a bad teen movie.

I've not even thought about how kids are selected. I wonder if it's in the tryout packet. I just assumed that kids would be selected like any other school sport. Other than there being an actual application process, I suppose. For my son to play high school baseball, he simply shows up and tries out...assuming he is eligible. The coaches then pick the kids who best fit their needs. The high school cheer packet is a massive undertaking. Including requiring her answering extensive questions and having six teacher recommendations. I'm going to look right now to see if there is anything about selection in the packet.

Like, she's in leadership and it was a much easier process.

I don't know if it's the same in your school, but our middle schools don't compete, and in tryouts they don't tumble or stunt...which leaves motions, jumps, and crowd-leading.

The motions that are needed in school cheer are different than in all star. And the facials, energy and attitude conveyed in an all star performance are different than what is needed to lead a crowd. All star is more "look at me" and "Cheer for me" vs. school cheer which is more "join me in cheering for the team".

I obviously don't know your daughter's skills, but it could very well be that they are not the skills the coach is looking for. School cheer and All star cheer are two different things - some skills overlap, but not all.

Of course, it's possible that it was all politics...in which case, you got a lot of good advice above!
Some schools require everyone trying out to show their standing and running tumbling.

Back