All-Star Best And Worst Of All Star Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm new and not sure how to quote so sorry!

On injuries, my daughter had two last year and one was a fluke and the other was because the doctor heard cheer and didn't listen to what she was actually doing. She was doing a back walk over, didn't land it and when she fell her body fell at just the right angle on her arm that it broke it. Cast came off and the doctor cleared her a month later her arm broke again in the same spot doing a back walk over, that time it just gave out. Doctor heard us say she did cheer and instead of listening to what I was telling him about what she did there he just decided she stood on the sidelines at youth football games. Turned out if he had listened she wouldn't had been cleared to be tumbling.

It might be different for other teams, but she is on a small team from a small gym. The girls on her team where just as upset as she was there was also no one to replace her. The second break was right before a competition, the team had to rework the routine. She still went to practice, all she did was stretch for months and competitions. At competitions she was with the team in the back and when they performed she was next to her coach.

I'm new and not sure how to quote so sorry!

On injuries, my daughter had two last year and one was a fluke and the other was because the doctor heard cheer and didn't listen to what she was actually doing. She was doing a back walk over, didn't land it and when she fell her body fell at just the right angle on her arm that it broke it. Cast came off and the doctor cleared her a month later her arm broke again in the same spot doing a back walk over, that time it just gave out. Doctor heard us say she did cheer and instead of listening to what I was telling him about what she did there he just decided she stood on the sidelines at youth football games. Turned out if he had listened she wouldn't had been cleared to be tumbling.

It might be different for other teams, but she is on a small team from a small gym. The girls on her team where just as upset as she was there was also no one to replace her. The second break was right before a competition, the team had to rework the routine. She still went to practice, all she did was stretch for months and competitions. At competitions she was with the team in the back and when they performed she was next to her coach.

Some People have found it helpful to specify All Star Cheer, not sideline, and have the doctor watch a video.

**space for rent**

I ended up showing a video the second time and the doctor said oh you should had said gymnastics. It was our first year last year in all star cheer and it was a tough lesson for this mom to learn.

Edited to add, we are from a very small town and my CP's team was the only one in the area. CP's team was on its 3rd year last year and CP was the first to have an injury that required going to the doctor so other parents or the coaches didn't know to tell me to show a video.

Last edited:
That's a really interesting fact there that I never though about. Doctors could get the wrong impression of the sport and healing time and things like that. It's an interesting think I might need to think about in upcoming books for sure! Also, that sucks that your daughter had to go through that! I'm sure it was a bummer, but it sounds like her team still rallied behind her!

I ended up showing a video the second time and the doctor said oh you should had said gymnastics. It was our first year last year in all star cheer and it was a tough lesson for this mom to learn.

Edited to add, we are from a very small town and my CP's team was the only one in the area. CP's team was on its 3rd year last year and CP was the first to have an injury that required going to the doctor so other parents or the coaches didn't know to tell me to show a video.

As long as you learned from it.

**space for rent**

That's a really interesting fact there that I never though about. Doctors could get the wrong impression of the sport and healing time and things like that. It's an interesting think I might need to think about in upcoming books for sure! Also, that sucks that your daughter had to go through that! I'm sure it was a bummer, but it sounds like her team still rallied behind her!

If you need more info I can send you the full experience. This is the short version. Her team really rallied around her though, last year they had a youth team and senior team (she was on the youth team) and all the youth team was having their moms call me to check up on her and the senior team got her a stuff animal that they bandaged an arm on and a card that they went around and had everyone sign.

If you need more info I can send you the full experience. This is the short version. Her team really rallied around her though, last year they had a youth team and senior team (she was on the youth team) and all the youth team was having their moms call me to check up on her and the senior team got her a stuff animal that they bandaged an arm on and a card that they went around and had everyone sign.

That's super great that they were helping! I actually have an injury planned for one of the books of my series, so there are only a few elements of it that I'm trying to fill in. I didn't think about before your comment, but I'm thinking that adding in some doctor confusion might be a little fun. Or if nothing else the conversation on what they really mean when they say that the injured character is a "cheerleader." It's all semantics there, but makes a big difference as you learned!

As long as you learned from it.

**space for rent**

I guess I'm fortunate our pediatrician's daughter does All-Star cheer!

I got injured at a big nationals with a back injury and ended up in a and e. Luckily the doctor knew about cheer so I was taken seriously and got through quite quickly

I guess I'm fortunate our pediatrician's daughter does All-Star cheer!

When CP hurt her foot this summer, I continually had to clarify she does "Competitive cheerleading" and thankfully each doctor was like, "Not right now she's not..." But I tried All-Star Cheerleading and got blank looks, add competitive to the world and it's "Oh, no she can't do that."

When CP hurt her foot this summer, I continually had to clarify she does "Competitive cheerleading" and thankfully each doctor was like, "Not right now she's not..." But I tried All-Star Cheerleading and got blank looks, add competitive to the world and it's "Oh, no she can't do that."

Yeah, I guess throwing in the word "star" might make it seem more like "glitter cheer" than what it actually is. It's funny how people that don't know all star cheer assume it is basically just sideline cheer. Even when it's just telling people about what I am writing about or why I drove to Seattle for a competition to see teams people give me odd looks. I've added a lot of that into my books so far, but plan to do so at least once in every book. It is just such a big misconception that I want to show it for all readers!

Also talking about injuries, some athletes want to go back too soon. A smart coach will not let that happen. After 2 knee surgeries my daughter was cleared in August from her sports orthopedic Dr. She fought and fought with her coach because he wold not let her do her full by herself until Nov. He had gone thru one surgery and was being overly cautious...she went thru that year injury free. :)

Also talking about injuries, some athletes want to go back too soon. A smart coach will not let that happen. After 2 knee surgeries my daughter was cleared in August from her sports orthopedic Dr. She fought and fought with her coach because he wold not let her do her full by herself until Nov. He had gone thru one surgery and was being overly cautious...she went thru that year injury free. :)

I bet that was annoying for her, but the best choice for sure! With injuries you sometimes have to think long term, which is not always easy!

I bet that was annoying for her, but the best choice for sure! With injuries you sometimes have to think long term, which is not always easy!

She calls her coach "dad" and has known him since she was 7! So it was all good! She's now 19 and went back after a year off for school. He's on IO5 with her [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back