High School Best Method For Music Playback?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 29, 2016
I'm trying to find the best method for playing my mixes when teaching choreography to the team. What methods/devices are everyone using? Is there a standard?

The device that is most readily playable in our environment.

At practice that means my phone via Bluetooth

At games that means my phone via aux cord

At the tumbling gym that means my phone via USB

At UCA events that means CD

I'm just thankful the days of carrying a pile of CDs are over. My bag was a lot more full when I had to have band music CDs, timeout and halftime music for bball game CDs, competition music.... Not to mention that I would end up tweaking the competition music throughout the season, resulting in a Version 1, Version 2, etc.

Now I pull everything up on my phone and don't make a competition music CD until right before the competition.

The device that is most readily playable in our environment.

At practice that means my phone via Bluetooth

At games that means my phone via aux cord

At the tumbling gym that means my phone via USB

At UCA events that means CD
How many choreographers (percentage wise) use their phones for playback? In your opinion... or best guess.

I use my phone. I have a playlist for every season, and every mix for that season is on the playlist. We use an ION Block Rocker for practices, etc.

CD's are only for UCA.

If we attend a school that doesn't have AUX cord pluggin then we don't do anything that requires music

Every choreographer I've personally worked with doesn't have music. They choreograph to counts and then we do 8 count sheets for custom music. Occasionally I've worked with a choreogrpaher who will use the dance song to choreo to, but that's mostly my allstar teams since the dances are typically longer. Our UCA dances are so short, we just put some motions together, throw in some levels and ripples and call it a day.

I use my phone. I have a playlist for every season, and every mix for that season is on the playlist. We use an ION Block Rocker for practices, etc.

CD's are only for UCA.

If we attend a school that doesn't have AUX cord pluggin then we don't do anything that requires music

Every choreographer I've personally worked with doesn't have music. They choreograph to counts and then we do 8 count sheets for custom music. Occasionally I've worked with a choreogrpaher who will use the dance song to choreo to, but that's mostly my allstar teams since the dances are typically longer. Our UCA dances are so short, we just put some motions together, throw in some levels and ripples and call it a day.

I want to make the switch over to CD's for competitions because it seems so much easier than making sure everyone's phone settings are just right. What are your thoughts?

CDs are safe that's for sure! Its proven technology. I think competitions should, and will go to an all mp3 upload format if they haven't done so yet.

I guess my question was what are your teams using for music playback for practicing/teaching? We have an app coming out in November that will hopefully change (and change for the better) how you playback your music/8 count tracks. Stay tuned!

I want to make the switch over to CD's for competitions because it seems so much easier than making sure everyone's phone settings are just right. What are your thoughts?
I have a love/hate relationship with CD's. I use them because UCA requires it. I hate buying them, burning them, keeping up with them, testing them, etc. It is nice however to not stress over phone issues, seems like there is always some phone issue right when you need the music most! My preferred choice is my old ipod that just has the routine mixes on it, but not everyone accepts that method.

CDs are safe that's for sure! Its proven technology. I think competitions should, and will go to an all mp3 upload format if they haven't done so yet.

I guess my question was what are your teams using for music playback for practicing/teaching? We have an app coming out in November that will hopefully change (and change for the better) how you playback your music/8 count tracks. Stay tuned!
I don't know if I fully understand the question then? I took it as how we teach or what we use to play it. Can you explain more about the app?

Back