Bhs Fears

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nikki Moore

Cheer Parent
Mar 23, 2016
So CP recently got her BHS to where she can do it herself. She took privates for a couple of months and he started working on her RO BHS as well. She was able to do her standing BHS for try outs and she got placed on a level 2 team - with the idea that they wanted her to work on her RO BHS.
So the issue is that now CP is scared to even do her BHS and says she can't do it.
She keeps saying she can't do it unless her coach is standing right there. She's done it numerous times without him even touching her but she likes that safety net of him being near to her JIC..
How does she get over that fear and realize that she can actually do it without him? DH talked to her and tried to say if she just does it without thinking about it before she does - it might help. We think she's psyching herself out by waiting so long.
We've shown her videos where you can clearly see the coach isn't doing anything...

I feel like it's too early for her to already have developed a mental block on - but I don't know..

This is common with BHS. It's the first skill where we ask them to fling themselves backward at the ground! The best thing for it at this point is repetition. Often, girls are scared of this skill when it's new because it isn't muscle memory yet. Give it some time. Once it's muscle memory and automatic those fears should decrease, if she is still throwing the skill, let her throw it as much as possible.

Also, don't make a big deal about it. Let her know she will throw it again by herself when her body is ready, and that's ok. The bigger this becomes in her head, the harder it is to get past.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So CP recently got her BHS to where she can do it herself. She took privates for a couple of months and he started working on her RO BHS as well. She was able to do her standing BHS for try outs and she got placed on a level 2 team - with the idea that they wanted her to work on her RO BHS.
So the issue is that now CP is scared to even do her BHS and says she can't do it.
She keeps saying she can't do it unless her coach is standing right there. She's done it numerous times without him even touching her but she likes that safety net of him being near to her JIC..
How does she get over that fear and realize that she can actually do it without him? DH talked to her and tried to say if she just does it without thinking about it before she does - it might help. We think she's psyching herself out by waiting so long.
We've shown her videos where you can clearly see the coach isn't doing anything...

I feel like it's too early for her to already have developed a mental block on - but I don't know..
This was me when i first started learning my BHS, im not able to throw it completely by myself yet, but i used to psych myself out so much that i would stand there at least three minutes before i worked up the nerve to throw it. now i can just throw it without thinking, although i do still have a spotter. Muscle memory works the best, just have her keep throwing it and shell hopefully outgrow this block! try and get her to keep doing it so she doesnt think about it before she throws the skill, for me it helped that i tried to shut my brain off completely aside from reminding myself to do certain things my coach was telling me. I hope she gets past this soon!

DH was telling her to think of like song lyrics or something else meaningless that just wasn't about BHS's.
She has tumbling tonight so we'll see how it goes. I said she could try to have her coach there for the first few times and then gradually have the coach step back a few steps, etc...
She was progressing really well a few weeks ago :/

My cp went through the same thing. Sending her to open gyms and not even talking about it is what helped. She was able to try it over and over again at open gym without any pressure.
Honestly we stopped discussing tumble at all. Stopped asking how her classes went and everything. This was about 6 months ago, she has her tuck now.

Tumbling was only an hour today and they only worked on running tumbling and she was able to do a RO BHS with very little spot. She's never done that on the big floor before. Super proud of her! She still needs to work on standing but it's a start :)

Tumbling was only an hour today and they only worked on running tumbling and she was able to do a RO BHS with very little spot. She's never done that on the big floor before. Super proud of her! She still needs to work on standing but it's a start :)
*gives unlimited shimmies*

Back