High School Bhs Stunt Into Full Around: Legal For Hs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 14, 2017
Here’s an example from the Great Whites routine at Worlds last year (at the :30 second mark):

Individually, all the parts of the stunt seem to be legal although I’m a bit confused on the legality of BHS stunts in high school. I read somewhere that a BHS up into a prep became legal this year, which is weird because other high school teams have been doing it since 2016 (Lone Peak HD at 1:10 mark):

Someone help! Thanks!

I think this is legal.. i see teams do backhand springs into stunts all the time for Hs
Are u referring to UCA rules or something else ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s an example from the Great Whites routine at Worlds last year (at the :30 second mark):

Individually, all the parts of the stunt seem to be legal although I’m a bit confused on the legality of BHS stunts in high school. I read somewhere that a BHS up into a prep became legal this year, which is weird because other high school teams have been doing it since 2016 (Lone Peak HD at 1:10 mark):

Someone help! Thanks!

Both examples you posted are legal for high school and have been for years. That’s nothing to stop a kid from rebounding into a prep (I’ve seen a phenomenal tumbler do it).

What became legal this year was the inverted variety, where the bases make contact with the top while her hands are on the floor and release her into a prep (for an extended version see the opening second-music stunt of Morehead All Girls routine from nationals). The extended version is still illegal in high school, unless you find a way to brace it prior to release (see Greenup County’s pyramid from last year).

Thanks so much for the advice. Follow up question: what about this updated sequence from the GWS 2018 routine (1:30 mark...we would do it from a BHS, not a whip). Is this HS legal?

And which one is more difficult, this year’s or last year’s version? The one from this year seems to require more body control, but the one from last year used no hands, etc...

Thanks.

Thanks so much for the advice. Follow up question: what about this updated sequence from the GWS 2018 routine (1:30 mark...we would do it from a BHS, not a whip). Is this HS legal?

And which one is more difficult, this year’s or last year’s version? The one from this year seems to require more body control, but the one from last year used no hands, etc...

Thanks.

The tumbling skill does not change the legality of the stunt. That should be legal too. There’s no difference (from a rules standpoint) between doing that skill and jumping off the floor into a prone cradle, except the visual effect. So do it from a Roundoff, backhandspring, whip, layout, full, whatever...

The video from GWS is a much more difficult skill than the two from the original post.

With that said, if I remember correctly, you recently posted about being a new coach.

Don’t get so wrapped up in these goofy visuals and trying to hit these oddball transitions that you spend time on them to the detriment of the stunt itself.

Example: if you look at the UCA HS progression grid, you will not find “tumbling skill rebound into load in position” anywhere on it. So the judges will look at your routine and say “that was cute, let’s give ‘Em a tenth of a point on their overall building impression.” Meanwhile, you may have spent so much time on the entrance that you have to do the entrance and straight up the stunt, at which point you’ve blown your stunt difficulty score.

In essence, you may be spending too much time on the side dish and not enough time on the main entree.

@Sterling von Shimmer as mentioned by others, the skill you are looking at is a tumbling pass or skill rebound into the stunt load position. Totally legally and a really fun way to start off a stunt sequence that needs a little extra oomf that is doable with just a couple good tumbling top girls.

What @OldskoolKYcheercoach mentioned is correct too about this season's update for BHS up based skills at the High School level. Gotta catch it at prep before you can do anything else. One of my groups was working on a partner stunt tape and tried some variations:

BHS up to Stretch-

BHS Up to Full Around-

@Sterling von Shimmer as mentioned by others, the skill you are looking at is a tumbling pass or skill rebound into the stunt load position. Totally legally and a really fun way to start off a stunt sequence that needs a little extra oomf that is doable with just a couple good tumbling top girls.

What @OldskoolKYcheercoach mentioned is correct too about this season's update for BHS up based skills at the High School level. Gotta catch it at prep before you can do anything else. One of my groups was working on a partner stunt tape and tried some variations:

BHS up to Stretch-

BHS Up to Full Around-

Nicely done, did they do the video and enter?

Nicely done, did they do the video and enter?
They did! Girls asked me not to post it until after results come out this week so I guess I will respect their wishes lol.
Took 101 takes to get the one good one. Had a couple of meh hits during the process but they were hungry.

Now they are hungry to make it cleaner, too late! lol

They did! Girls asked me not to post it until after results come out this week so I guess I will respect their wishes lol.
Took 101 takes to get the one good one. Had a couple of meh hits during the process but they were hungry.

Now they are hungry to make it cleaner, too late! lol

I had two groups that expressed interest, but fizzled out at the last minute. I put it on them, as I've got enough stuff to do without trying to force it. I honestly believe one of them could have won it if they had had the work ethic to push for it. Three beast seniors with my little 88 pound junior.

ETA: "one" does not equal "won"

I had two groups that expressed interest, but fizzled out at the last minute. I put it on them, as I've got enough stuff to do without trying to force it. I honestly believe one of them could have one it if they had had the work ethic to push for it. Three beast seniors with my little 88 pound junior.
It's a wild journey all on its own.
We said similarly, we will help you at open gyms and some practices while still keeping team focus. These girls worked their butts off. And had no idea what they committed to til those last couple taping days. It was cute to watch them be so dramatic lolol

@OldskoolKYcheercoach Thanks for the advice! I’m not a super new coach — I've racked up a couple of USA/UCA national titles over the years from various divisions, both as an athlete and a coach -- but my coaching career has not been super consistent and every time I reenter the HS cheer scene it seems like there are a million new rule changes, requirements, etc.

This year my program is kind of in a rut and approaching a crossroads. The girls that make my current program so strong also train at Cali and I know they don't feel challenged enough at times. I want to push them because I'd hate to risk losing them in the coming years due to lack of interest (aside from their skills, they're really positive, focused girls that the younger ones want to "keep up" with). My goal is more powerhouse stunt sequences and an overall more all-star "look." (For example: United South HS...they only go to NCA but nonetheless are incredible://United South Cheerleaders 2017 - YouTube

So yeah, I know the stunt is a bit superfluous, but I'm really trying to give my girls something they can really sink their teeth into next year. So far they're into it, but who knows how long that will last when the summer conditioning starts up again...

@ScottyB : Your girls look untouchable! Good job!

@OldskoolKYcheercoach Thanks for the advice! I’m not a super new coach — I've racked up a couple of USA/UCA national titles over the years from various divisions, both as an athlete and a coach -- but my coaching career has not been super consistent and every time I reenter the HS cheer scene it seems like there are a million new rule changes, requirements, etc.

This year my program is kind of in a rut and approaching a crossroads. The girls that make my current program so strong also train at Cali and I know they don't feel challenged enough at times. I want to push them because I'd hate to risk losing them in the coming years due to lack of interest (aside from their skills, they're really positive, focused girls that the younger ones want to "keep up" with). My goal is more powerhouse stunt sequences and an overall more all-star "look." (For example: United South HS...they only go to NCA but nonetheless are incredible://United South Cheerleaders 2017 - YouTube

So yeah, I know the stunt is a bit superfluous, but I'm really trying to give my girls something they can really sink their teeth into next year. So far they're into it, but who knows how long that will last when the summer conditioning starts up again...

@ScottyB : Your girls look untouchable! Good job!

My apologies, I either had you confused with someone else, or misread something you had previously posted.

My apologies, I either had you confused with someone else, or misread something you had previously posted.

@OldskoolKYcheercoach No worries! HS cheer evolves so rapidly that sometimes I still feel brand new. Which is why I’m so appreciative of this site; I know I can get quick, accurate answers from people who know what they’re talking about. The more I learn, the more I learn how much I don’t know.

Back