OT Bluford Series Or Good Series For Teens? Recommendations?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
Is anyone familiar with the Bluford Series? If so, recommendations? I am a teacher and was wondering if they would be appropriate for my students. I think some of my students could relate to the characters in these books. Maybe it would motivate them to read more. If not, any other recommendations?

Is anyone familiar with the Bluford Series? If so, recommendations? I am a teacher and was wondering if they would be appropriate for my students. I think some of my students could relate to the characters in these books. Maybe it would motivate them to read more. If not, any other recommendations?
Never heard of it. Can you give a quick description?

Home - The Bluford Series. Seem to address different issues such as bullying, peer pressure, etc. that my students could relate with.

The Bluford Series is a widely read collection of contemporary American young adult novels set in the fictional inner-city high school of Bluford High.[1] The series was created and published by Townsend Pressand is co-distributed by Scholastic. As part of an effort to promote reading in underfunded school districts, Townsend Press originally made the Bluford Series available to schools for a dollar each.

The Bluford series was definitely a little racy at times, but it was all life situations that present themselves during the high school/middle school experience.It definitely teaches valuable moral lessons, but not really a vocabulary builder though. However, I'm sure your kids will enjoy it, and won't want to put it down.

Last edited:
The Bluford series was definitely a little racy at times, but it was all life situations that present themselves during the high school/middle school experience.It definitely teaches valuable moral lessons, but not really a vocabulary builder either. However, I'm sure your kids will enjoy it, and won't want to put it down.

Thanks, for the feedback. I haven't actually read them. I just came across them when searching for a series that might catch my students' interests.

looks like it might be a good read for cp - if you get them can you update us on how your students like the series?

Definitely! I am going to check the Public library and read the first one to make sure it is appropriate for school. If so, will order and let you know what my students think.

I am Deaf Education Itinerant Teacher. Currently, I have students grade Pre K - 9th. I was thinking about using the books with my 8th and 9th grade students. With that said I haven't made the time to order or read any of the books yet. Right now my older students are reading Freak The Mighty.

I am Deaf Education Itinerant Teacher. Currently, I have students grade Pre K - 9th. I was thinking about using the books with my 8th and 9th grade students. With that said I haven't made the time to order or read any of the books yet. Right now my older students are reading Freak The Mighty.
Freak The Mighty- I read that in 7th grade.
I think the Bluford series will be fine for this age group you spoke of.

Back