OT Book Club

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I met Veronica Roth a two weeks ago at YA Festival I volunteered at (and Rainbow Rowell, and Ellen Hopkins and a bunch of other popular YA authors). Unfortunately I don't like the the Divergent series and therefore didn't read past Divergent.... I didn't tell her that though....not that she'd care.

I meant to ask if anyone wanted any books signed but I forgot.

Right now I'm reading Shopaholic to the Stars... I love the Shopaholic series but this one is total crap and its evident that Sophie Kinsella is running out of ideas...and this should truly be the last of the series.

She's still writing them?! I don't think I've read a Shopaholic book in 10 years. I do like some of her other books - and her ones as Madeline Wickham.

Also, have you tried eBay for the Babysitter's club books? I went on a binge in college and bought a bunch of Sweet Valley High Senior Year books from there for some strange reason.

It's funny that I pretty much never post on the boards, but the book thread has drawn me out from just lurking.

My favorite book of all time would probably be The Great Gatsby, but The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien and Atonement by Ian McEwan are right up there too.

I have a to-read list shelf on GoodReads that is close to 800 books long lol.

I've only really been able to read books for class recently, but I've been reading 1Q84 over a long period of time and have enjoyed it, but it is a little strange.

She's still writing them?! I don't think I've read a Shopaholic book in 10 years. I do like some of her other books - and her ones as Madeline Wickham.

Also, have you tried eBay for the Babysitter's club books? I went on a binge in college and bought a bunch of Sweet Valley High Senior Year books from there for some strange reason.

She's still writing them, just taking longer breaks in between

I hate all of her Madeline Wickham books and her last two standalone Sophie Kinsella novels are garbage.

People on eBay sell the BSC books for ridiculous prices for the lots.

I bought 150 BSC off CL for $20 so I have a hard time paying $10 for like 3

My favorite book is Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. Also a movie with Julia Roberts which is pretty good but not better than the book. It really changed me reading it.

I also love The Great Gatsby (which I want to find with a really neat cover, still haven't seen a good one tho), harry potter, any Sophia Kinsella, any Agatha Christie..

Oh and I have so many books on my to read list at goodreads. Anybody else using that site? I think it's gold!!

I get so sad to see the book threads die out. Anyone asking for some good books this holiday season? What are they?

I finished The Help yesterday and oh my-lanta it was so good! I recommend it to EVERYONE. Even if you've already seen the movie. It was one of those books where you're teary eyed at the end and you don't know if it's because of the story itself or because you don't want it to end because you get so attached to the characters. Even though I already knew what happened at the end I still got emotional. :oops: It's probably one of my new favorite books.

I was so siked today to pick up some really cool books at the thrift store again. A couple of the highlights are Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Stones into Schools (sequel to Three Cups of Tea which I need to read), and The Monuments Men which I was sooo excited to find, let me tell you. I jumped over a bucket of old VHS tapes to grab it. I am obsessed with the whole stolen art in WWII thing. It's just so interesting!

I get so sad to see the book threads die out. Anyone asking for some good books this holiday season? What are they?

I finished The Help yesterday and oh my-lanta it was so good! I recommend it to EVERYONE. Even if you've already seen the movie. It was one of those books where you're teary eyed at the end and you don't know if it's because of the story itself or because you don't want it to end because you get so attached to the characters. Even though I already knew what happened at the end I still got emotional. :oops: It's probably one of my new favorite books.

I was so siked today to pick up some really cool books at the thrift store again. A couple of the highlights are Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Stones into Schools (sequel to Three Cups of Tea which I need to read), and The Monuments Men which I was sooo excited to find, let me tell you. I jumped over a bucket of old VHS tapes to grab it. I am obsessed with the whole stolen art in WWII thing. It's just so interesting!
I loved The Help. Phenomenal book.
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - so much fun to read, especially if you are a P&P fan.
Enjoy and let us know how the other ones are.

I loved The Help. It was so much better than the movie...and I loved the movie (I saw it twice in theatres and bought the dvd)

I can't really contribute much to this thread right now. Since I moved and resigned from my job I had to return all of my library books, so I'm reading nothing and have no books waiting to be read.

I loved The Help. It was so much better than the movie...and I loved the movie (I saw it twice in theatres and bought the dvd)

I can't really contribute much to this thread right now. Since I moved and resigned from my job I had to return all of my library books, so I'm reading nothing and have no books waiting to be read.
Well, you start again next week, right? So we expect some new recommendations from you in the near future. Good luck with the new job!

Well, you start again next week, right? So we expect some new recommendations from you in the near future. Good luck with the new job!

Yeah but this would have been the perfect week for me to read. I've spent all week saying "I'm bored. I wish I had a job".

I felt awkward going to the library because I felt like people would recognize me and try to make me engage in conversation lol

And thanks!

I'm home on winter break from now through the first week of January (trimester schedule) and I'm hoping to do a lot of reading.
So far I plan on reading...
The Scarlet Letter (just started)
Gone Girl
The Color Purple
The Giver

Side note: did anyone see Mockingjay? I thought it was extremely boring and too drawn out. Which was too bad because I really enjoyed the first and second movies. Also I feel like they left too much of the book to be put into the fourth movie.

I'm home on winter break from now through the first week of January (trimester schedule) and I'm hoping to do a lot of reading.
So far I plan on reading...
The Scarlet Letter (just started)
Gone Girl
The Color Purple
The Giver

Side note: did anyone see Mockingjay? I thought it was extremely boring and too drawn out. Which was too bad because I really enjoyed the first and second movies. Also I feel like they left too much of the book to be put into the fourth movie.
The giver is amazing! I suggest reading the rest of the books after it (Gathering Blue, the messenger and Son)

Back