OT Book Club

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
just read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch and i'd recommend it for anyone, any age :) ask me again after Christmas when i have free time to read the stack of books collecting on my nightstand.

I'm home on winter break from now through the first week of January (trimester schedule) and I'm hoping to do a lot of reading.
So far I plan on reading...
The Scarlet Letter (just started)
Gone Girl
The Color Purple
The Giver

Side note: did anyone see Mockingjay? I thought it was extremely boring and too drawn out. Which was too bad because I really enjoyed the first and second movies. Also I feel like they left too much of the book to be put into the fourth movie.

Oh my gosh yes about Mockingjay. It was soooo long and soo boring. I took my niece yesterday and took a nap during it because I just couldn't deal.

To be fair the 3rd book was so boring that I didn't finish reading

Also. I love The Giver

I just registered for second semester courses and I'm taking intro to drama and the modern novella. I'm excited, rate my prof says not to take these classes unless you love reading. Good thing it's my favourite hobby.

I love book threads :)
Some of my favourites are My Dear, I wanted to tell you and it's follow up, The Heroes Welcome which are both by Louisa Young and feed my history obsession fantastically, Eleanor and Park, The Pact, To Kill a Mockingbird and of course, the Divergent series (love me a bit of dystopia!)

I just finished reading another YA dystopian book called The Testing which I thought was great but it was a bit like THG and Divergent rolled into one.

We have an award in the UK (not sure if it's worldwide) called The Jack Petchey Achievement award which I won earlier this year and the teacher who nominated me asked me what I wanted as my prize from the department. I said books (of course) and I finally got them today! They are The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials, 1984 and to move away from the whole dystopia genre a really interesting sounding book called The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer. I can't wait to read them!

In terms of John Green books, I loved TFIOS and Will Grayson, Will Grayson but I'm not really a fan of his other books! Also a big fan of the Shopoholic series, I think they are hilarious and I love how Becky's hometown is fairly close to me!

Where to get them free would be helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With your handy dandy library card

Depending on what your local library system subscribes to you can also download magazines for free via Zinio

And music via Freegal

c15e9cecb85e0ad78504dd591bbd1a1b.jpg

(Sorry I'm super pumped about library services this week since I just started with a new system )

Anyone know of any ways to get free books on a kindle? Just won one at school today, lol.

You can also join Bookbub.com They send out emails with discounted books based on your likes. They also have free books sometimes as well.

Also if you are a member of Amazon, I have gotten emails about sales where they have 150 books on sale for $1 each, I know it isn't free, but I have saved a lot of money that way! I also joined my local library to try and get books for my kindle as @HeresAThought suggested, but haven't gotten around to figuring out how it works.

You can also join Bookbub.com They send out emails with discounted books based on your likes. They also have free books sometimes as well.

Also if you are a member of Amazon, I have gotten emails about sales where they have 150 books on sale for $1 each, I know it isn't free, but I have saved a lot of money that way! I also joined my local library to try and get books for my kindle as @HeresAThought suggested, but haven't gotten around to figuring out how it works.
@shawtyyBHADDx3 I have an app called OverDrive that connects to many public library networks in the US and you can login to your library account and it pulls up the books you have checked out on there. It's amazing! It probably doesn't have all the library networks on it, but it's a free app that's worth a try!

With your handy dandy library card

Depending on what your local library system subscribes to you can also download magazines for free via Zinio

And music via Freegal

c15e9cecb85e0ad78504dd591bbd1a1b.jpg

(Sorry I'm super pumped about library services this week since I just started with a new system )

love arthur! the other day i realized it was on netflix and i contemplated sitting down and having a mini marathon, but it's almost finals week... and i'm 24... so i decided against the procrastination.

love arthur! the other day i realized it was on netflix and i contemplated sitting down and having a mini marathon, but it's almost finals week... and i'm 24... so i decided against the procrastination.
I envy your control. I'm currently watching One Tree Hill just because it is finals week and it's on Netflix.

If anyone wants to read a good non-fiction book, I suggest Freakonomics. I read it for my English class, and I thought it was pretty good.

If anyone wants to read a good non-fiction book, I suggest Freakonomics. I read it for my English class, and I thought it was pretty good.
Ahh yes, I had to read that for AP Econ in high school, it was really really interesting. I remember loving it!

Back