OT Book Club

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I think I stopped after the 4th. Maybe I should go back and give the whole series another run through. I've read the first 2 many times. And I agree about the Mortal Instruments - love the books. I have heard they are making the books into a cable series but I am not sure if they will be re-doing the first movie or just pick up with the second book.
Yea! someone else that read the Earth's Children series. Well the other 4 books are not fantastic and I did not like reading them because they were very repetative so I did a lot of skipping, but the story line is still great and I am in love with Alya.....I wanted to be her.....ha, ha....So if you like Alya, you should definitely read all of them. My daughter just last Friday, took all my books and donated them to her school. I'll see if she left those and if you are interested, I will mail them to you.....

Yea! someone else that read the Earth's Children series. Well the other 4 books are not fantastic and I did not like reading them because they were very repetative so I did a lot of skipping, but the story line is still great and I am in love with Alya.....I wanted to be her.....ha, ha....So if you like Alya, you should definitely read all of them. My daughter just last Friday, took all my books and donated them to her school. I'll see if she left those and if you are interested, I will mail them to you.....
I have them all too and have read them many times. I skipped a bunch too.

I think I stopped after the 4th. Maybe I should go back and give the whole series another run through. I've read the first 2 many times. And I agree about the Mortal Instruments - love the books. I have heard they are making the books into a cable series but I am not sure if they will be re-doing the first movie or just pick up with the second book.

Ughhhhhhh noooooo. I don't like those books and now I'm gonna have to watch this just because I read them. And I'm going to hate myself for that.

In more book related news: I'm in the middle of "The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night Time". It reminds me of The Catcher in the Rye but the main character has autism/aspergers/some behavioral disability that has not been named yet. It's pretty interesting and it's an easy read. (That is saying a lot since The Catcher in the Rye is hands down my most hated book. And I read it twice so there is double hatred.) I guess I'd recommend it to people. I recently learned that it's been made into a play on West End in London. It'd be interesting to see how it has been adapted to the stage.

Also picked up Matilda by Roald Dahl last night at goodwill for a $1 and I read 72 pages before bed lol. I know it's a kids book but I'm beyond obsessed with Matilda the Musical so the book has been at the top of my To Read list for a while :p also picked up the second Game of Thrones book brand new for $1. Now if I could only find the first one....

And FYI - Jane Slayre is a real book. Like Jane Eyre. But she slays vampires. I know it's real because I bought it and it's sitting next to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on my to read shelf. Hella siked, man.

My all time favourite book is Speak.
I like the Divergent series, I still think it has one of the worst endings ever though.
The Stephanie Plum books are fantastic, definitely 18+
I have a "booket list" (a bucket list of books) and on it I have all of the old classics, Pride and Prejudice, A Tale of Two Cities, etc. and the Harry Potter books.

@Eyes On The Prize I love going to thrift stores for books too! They're all $.50 - $2.50 it's great! And you can get really cool special editions that aren't in regular stores.
I like the Stephanie Plum Books too.But I only listened to the audio books. The actress that reads the books is hilarious. Her voices for is character is funny.

ETA: @BuegeSmalls I suggest the Stephanie Plum audiobooks.

Last edited:
I am probably aging myself, but my favorite book (Series) of all time is "Clan of the Cave Bear" The entire series "Earth's Children series" by Jean Auel....there are 6 books in the series started in 1980 and the last books came out 2011. I have read the entire series a least 5/6 times. Now, I read with my 16 year old daughter. She brings books home and we both read them: I have read the Mortal Instruments (love the book(s) better than the movie; Divirgent, the Giver, and a host of other books/series; but still have not found one that I like more than the Earth's Children series....But I love reading in my little spare time and would love some suggestions on whats out there and is good.
my mom loves the clan of the cave bear series. Have you seen the movie. I love it but have not yet read the books.

Ughhhhhhh noooooo. I don't like those books and now I'm gonna have to watch this just because I read them. And I'm going to hate myself for that.

In more book related news: I'm in the middle of "The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Night Time". It reminds me of The Catcher in the Rye but the main character has autism/aspergers/some behavioral disability that has not been named yet. It's pretty interesting and it's an easy read. (That is saying a lot since The Catcher in the Rye is hands down my most hated book. And I read it twice so there is double hatred.) I guess I'd recommend it to people. I recently learned that it's been made into a play on West End in London. It'd be interesting to see how it has been adapted to the stage.

Also picked up Matilda by Roald Dahl last night at goodwill for a $1 and I read 72 pages before bed lol. I know it's a kids book but I'm beyond obsessed with Matilda the Musical so the book has been at the top of my To Read list for a while :p also picked up the second Game of Thrones book brand new for $1. Now if I could only find the first one....

And FYI - Jane Slayre is a real book. Like Jane Eyre. But she slays vampires. I know it's real because I bought it and it's sitting next to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on my to read shelf. Hella siked, man.
I despised Catcher in the Rye. I read it twice too - once in high school and then again after college (to see if I still hated it). I did, possibly even more.

I despised Catcher in the Rye. I read it twice too - once in high school and then again after college (to see if I still hated it). I did, possibly even more.

It's so much worse the second time around. I read it first for "fun" in 10th grade because my teacher didn't make us read ANY books all year except Of Mice and Men. And then the ONLY book we read in 12th grade was The Catcher in the Rye and we had a huge assignment on it so I couldn't get away with not re-reading it.

I had the worst English teachers all throughout High school. I only read 3 books in class and half of Taming of the Shrew before my teacher gave up and popped in 10 Things I Hate About You. No wonder all my classmates had 6th grade reading levels... Instead of reading To Kill a Mockingbird, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, 12 Angry Men, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, etc, my teachers just had us watch the movies...

It's so much worse the second time around. I read it first for "fun" in 10th grade because my teacher didn't make us read ANY books all year except Of Mice and Men. And then the ONLY book we read in 12th grade was The Catcher in the Rye and we had a huge assignment on it so I couldn't get away with not re-reading it.

I had the worst English teachers all throughout High school. I only read 3 books in class and half of Taming of the Shrew before my teacher gave up and popped in 10 Things I Hate About You. No wonder all my classmates had 6th grade reading levels... Instead of reading To Kill a Mockingbird, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, 12 Angry Men, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, etc, my teachers just had us watch the movies...
That is terrible! I can understand using contemporary movies to show how well many of these plots hold up over time, but not instead of reading the book, especially in an English class. I still think the least enjoyable book I ever had to read in high school was Catch-22. I suffered through that one. I'm not sure if I even finished it.

That is terrible! I can understand using contemporary movies to show how well many of these plots hold up over time, but not instead of reading the book, especially in an English class. I still think the least enjoyable book I ever had to read in high school was Catch-22. I suffered through that one. I'm not sure if I even finished it.

My class sophomore year had to read Three Cups of Tea. I got through 30 pages and there wasn't a single person in my class who read the book. I didn't enjoy it then and I'm not sure if I even know what it's about at this point haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my mom loves the clan of the cave bear series. Have you seen the movie. I love it but have not yet read the books.
The movie was so horrible....I am hoping that with today's technology they do remake it as well as the others in the series. I think it will make some fantastic movies; but I'm partial because I just loved the books that much.

Anybody get any good books over the holidays? One of my siblings got me Anna Karenina, but I got some Barnes and Noble gift cards that I'm excited to use.

I also started reading Thirty Girls by Susan Minot today!

Anybody get any good books over the holidays? One of my siblings got me Anna Karenina, but I got some Barnes and Noble gift cards that I'm excited to use.

I got the last book in the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett! I've already started it and it's so good! My dad got Portrait of My Father by George W. Bush, and I'm pretty excited to read that when he's done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just read Jodi Picoult's Leaving Time which I really enjoyed. An about to start the latest John Grisham. I love my library!

I think my family didn't want to enable my book addiction so I didn't get any for Christmas even though I asked for a few. I was kind of hoping I would get Mindy Kaling's book - I loveeeeeee her. Oh well, I'll get it at some point.

Back