All-Star Booking Flights For Comps

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

alpaca

Cheer Parent
Apr 21, 2017
When do you book your flights for comps?

This year we have some comps during high traffic weekends and I'm thinking that I should book them now since (in my mind) the prices will only go up. But other people tell me that they wait to try to get better deals. I'm not sure if the stress of waiting is worth the potential cost savings.

I book when the flights are at a price I'm comfortable paying. I also use the Hopper app which tracks prices for you and suggests when you should buy your flights.

I agree with @Cinn124. I prefer nonstop flights and lower fares for those flights sell out pretty quickly. If you have at least ten people traveling, contact the airline and request a group rate which is generally 10% off the published fare.

There have been studies that show that 6 weeks (If I recall correctly) is the optimum time. That said... when you know a certain route will be busy (esp if you come from an area with a lot of cheer/dance teams) it pays to book earlier. The airlines have an algorithm where as the seats available goes down.. the price goes up. So, if you want to fly with friends... it is smart to all be on the computer at the exact same time because I can't tell you how manytimes the one friend not on at exactly the same moment... (even just 10minutes later) ends up paying more for the same flight.

If Southwest flies a route... book now! You can always bank your money with them if a lower fare comes along. Our team used to do group fares until we realized that it actually worked out better for the early birds (which we were) to book our own rather than group rate. The nice thing with some airlines group fares is they do give you free checked luggage or other benefits though. You just need someone who is willing to take the time, call and do the math to see if it works out in your favor. It is nice though because they will stick you all together and if it is mostly kids travelling with just a few chaperones, it is super helpful (and worth the extra if there is some) I know the last time to Worlds we had all the kids fly together (earlier than parents) and did not do group rate --- it worked out to be less to have everyone book separately and just converse about what seats #s to book.

There have been studies that show that 6 weeks (If I recall correctly) is the optimum time. That said... when you know a certain route will be busy (esp if you come from an area with a lot of cheer/dance teams) it pays to book earlier. The airlines have an algorithm where as the seats available goes down.. the price goes up. So, if you want to fly with friends... it is smart to all be on the computer at the exact same time because I can't tell you how manytimes the one friend not on at exactly the same moment... (even just 10minutes later) ends up paying more for the same flight.

If Southwest flies a route... book now! You can always bank your money with them if a lower fare comes along. Our team used to do group fares until we realized that it actually worked out better for the early birds (which we were) to book our own rather than group rate. The nice thing with some airlines group fares is they do give you free checked luggage or other benefits though. You just need someone who is willing to take the time, call and do the math to see if it works out in your favor. It is nice though because they will stick you all together and if it is mostly kids travelling with just a few chaperones, it is super helpful (and worth the extra if there is some) I know the last time to Worlds we had all the kids fly together (earlier than parents) and did not do group rate --- it worked out to be less to have everyone book separately and just converse about what seats #s to book.
They offer 2/3 seats for the good price and the the 4/5/6 th ticket is more.....frustrating!

I booked my flights to Atlanta and Orlando last week, the prices seemed decent and since they're pretty big comps and I live in the land of many cheer gyms I didn't want to risk waiting. They're on Southwest so if the rates do go down I guess I'm covered.

When do you book your flights for comps?

This year we have some comps during high traffic weekends and I'm thinking that I should book them now since (in my mind) the prices will only go up. But other people tell me that they wait to try to get better deals. I'm not sure if the stress of waiting is worth the potential cost savings.
We started stalking rates as soon as we got the comp schedule.

I'm never comfortable booking flights this early unless they are refundable - this year was the only time I've booked early and it was only so I could get a flight home early enough Monday to get to work/school. If you are on a team where the roster isn't set, or if your gym has been know to change their competition schedule then I would wait to book anything nonrefundable until at least November.

We watch price hopper religiously. Hopper predicts prices will eventually be lower, so we are in wait mode!

Damn, I wish we had Southwest here. Stuck with AA if I want non-stop.
I know!! I have 3 airports all within an hour or less so that opens up a lot more possibilities. Depending on what airline I book depends on the price and the airport. Good luck with your hunt!!

I hate not having my flights booked. It seriously drives me crazy not having a definite plan. I stalk flight websites constantly. We have two fly-away comps this season; but I need to get thru summer fees first (uniform, travel fees, choreo etc) before I can buy tickets. I usually purchase flights in October or November, because we are only paying the monthly fee during those months and aren't traveling yet.

Latest posts

Back