OT Books

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Just started it. Refused to see the movie because I had hopes of someday getting to it. Loving it so far.
The movie was pretty good too. My sisters, mom & aunt all read it and saw the movie together. I can't think of any complaints afterwards. But of course the book is better :)

Also, if you read The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and you're not opposed to seeing the movie, see it. Flawless adaptation.

I loved The Perks of Being a Wallflower, I read it for the first time my freshman year of college and was able to use it during a project for my MLIS....and I loved the film version. But my friend and I (that's also a librarian) didn't feel like the movie was dead on as we would have liked

And by the way... 13 Reasons Why is being made into a movie starring Selena Gomez as Hannah Baker... I can't even deal with that. in the book it specifically says Hannah has long blonde hair before she chops it all off so the charachter I imagined is more like Allie from PLL. :(

Yeah I loved 13 Reasons Why...but i can still see how Selena could make a decent Hannah in the same way all book-to-film characters are all different from the description in the text but you kind of let it go.

In other news and unrelated . If I recall Allie from PLL is the only one that kind of matches her description from the book. I'm reading "Burned" now and every time they re-describe a character I'm like "we'll not according to ABC Family"

I loved The Perks of Being a Wallflower, I read it for the first time my freshman year of college and was able to use it during a project for my MLIS....and I loved the film version. But my friend and I (that's also a librarian) didn't feel like the movie was dead on as we would have liked
I likened this book to being The Catcher in the Rye of this generation. And I did not really like either, no matter how hard I tried with both.

I likened this book to being The Catcher in the Rye of this generation. And I did not really like either, no matter how hard I tried with both.

I hated The Catcher in the Rye. I had to read it in middle school, and my mom made it seem like it was amazing. The whole time I was like "no...it's not good". It's on the list of books I hate from school (with a Wrinkle in Time and The Hobbit). Ugh the thought of them makes my skin crawl.

Which is why as a (youth services) librarian I respect people's rights to dislike books I like and like books I dislike. Because Lord knows I hate some books that I've read....

I hated The Catcher in the Rye. I had to read it in middle school, and my mom made it seem like it was amazing. The whole time I was like "no...it's not good". It's on the list of books I hate from school (with a Wrinkle in Time and The Hobbit). Ugh the thought of them makes my skin crawl.

Which is why as a (youth services) librarian I respect people's rights to dislike books I like and like books I dislike. Because Lord knows I hate some books that I've read....
Add The Chocolate War to that list as well ;)
I actually tried to reread The Catcher in the Rye after I graduated college (I think it was required reading for us in 9th grade) thinking maybe I'd finally see what I missed since everyone else loved it so much. It did even less for me the second time around.
I love hearing people are librarians. I think in my next life I would pursue that as a career. Along with working for an airline so I could get free flights.

I finished The Fault In Our Stars today.... Such a good book. I may or may not have cried... Alot... And I'm so mad about how it ended... Although I kind of saw it coming because of the mention of that one book throughout the book... But still. Wahhh:confused:
I read it over Thanksgiving break and it was so good, but I hated the ending too!

Add The Chocolate War to that list as well ;)
I actually tried to reread The Catcher in the Rye after I graduated college (I think it was required reading for us in 9th grade) thinking maybe I'd finally see what I missed since everyone else loved it so much. It did even less for me the second time around.
I love hearing people are librarians. I think in my next life I would pursue that as a career. Along with working for an airline so I could get free flights.

That sounds about right....because I read The Catcher in the Rye for summer reading going into 9th grade

I also hate The Great Gatsby.

I don't know how I ended up a librarian honestly. I know I threw a tantrum when I was 7 about going to a library and said that one day I was going to work there...and the next thing I know The university of South Carolina was handing me my masters degree. It really is a relaxed peaceful profession that you can do until you're 90 (librarians don't retire....) it just sucks because you don't make friends at work because everyone's old or homeless patrons.

That sounds about right....because I read The Catcher in the Rye for summer reading going into 9th grade

I also hate The Great Gatsby.

I don't know how I ended up a librarian honestly. I know I threw a tantrum when I was 7 about going to a library and said that one day I was going to work there...and the next thing I know The university of South Carolina was handing me my masters degree. It really is a relaxed peaceful profession that you can do until you're 90 (librarians don't retire....) it just sucks because you don't make friends at work because everyone's old or homeless patrons.

Haha, I understand that one. The library is my favorite place in the summer because I can read for days and days. My bank account cannot keep up with the amount of books I read so I am thankful for my library. But yeah, I'm always the youngest one there...

I thought everyone liked The Great Gatsby :(
Me too! I can't wait to see the movie. It was one of the better books we read in high school. I would like to name a future dog of mine Gatsby.

I also really liked To Kill A Mockingbird. I named my current dog Atticus. He's perfect.

ETA: if you follow me on twitter or Instagram you've seen my obsession with him.

Me too! I can't wait to see the movie. It was one of the better books we read in high school. I would like to name a future dog of mine Gatsby.

I also really liked To Kill A Mockingbird. I named my current dog Atticus. He's perfect.

ETA: if you follow me on twitter or Instagram you've seen my obsession with him.
Aww that'd be so cute for a dog name. and the movie looks so good!

Back