All-Star Brandon All-stars Featured On Local News...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 23, 2011
As I was sitting on the computer, I heard my local news talk about cheerleading being dangerous & Brandon was featured on it!
Since it JUST was aired, I won't be able to find a video but hopefully one will be up tomorrow so I can post it & people can discuss.
It featured the owner, Peter, and the very talented Alyssa White and showed how at the Orlando Magic game, a cheerleader fell and went into the BA gym and talked to Peter about how dangerous cheerleading can be and Peter began to say how cheerleading should be an official sport to help protect against such injuries.

-Found this on their website, it's about halfway through the video and features Cali! Very positive for cheerleading as a sport!
Video Landing Page

This is very interesting. It is the reason they started to limit stuff on the basketball court. Being that it was pro at a pro game probably doesn't help.

I saw the video of the cheerleader falling on my Local News Aswell. I told my mom not to watch. She hates when people fall. It scares her to death.

all Sports have injuries...........Are they going to stop football because of all the head problems??? We all know that alot of the injuries in All Stars is on a skill that is done at every practice and sometimes just bad luck. No sport is injury free all the time.

all Sports have injuries...........Are they going to stop football because of all the head problems??? We all know that alot of the injuries in All Stars is on a skill that is done at every practice and sometimes just bad luck. No sport is injury free all the time.

the thing is when we get injured in our sport it stops the playing of other sports and draws all this attention. specifically basketball. I am not saying we shouldn't be a sport. But because of how basketball works this type of thing will pop up ever couple years. And statistics say at some point one of these will be fatal.

the thing is when we get injured in our sport it stops the playing of other sports and draws all this attention. specifically basketball. I am not saying we shouldn't be a sport. But because of how basketball works this type of thing will pop up ever couple years. And statistics say at some point one of these will be fatal.
I definately agree that is much more dangerous and a different environment cheering at pro sports events. A hard floor can do much more damage than a spring and I hope nothing catastrophic ever happens!!

Paranoid mom here.....I know this was a fluke but, isn't there something they can roll out on the sidelines to protect these kids or is that too impractical? For you owners/coaches, what do you believe is a reasonable solution, or do you feel there is a solution for college basketball cheer? I'm with kingston stating statistically one of these "fluke accidents" is going to end up being a "fluke fatality".

Paranoid mom here.....I know this was a fluke but, isn't there something they can roll out on the sidelines to protect these kids or is that too impractical? For you owners/coaches, what do you believe is a reasonable solution, or do you feel there is a solution for college basketball cheer? I'm with kingston stating statistically one of these "fluke accidents" is going to end up being a "fluke fatality".

Let me say I am not trying to say I am against cheering and doing skills at basketball games, just speaking in what is inevitable statisitcaly.

It is impractical to roll out mats for timeouts. As well as long as someone is doing some type of acrobatic skill, stunting or tumbling, at some point it will go wrong. It might be a 1 in a billion chance, but all events are independent of each other, meaning every time someone is on the floor the chance of a fatal accident are the same. In theory you could have multiple ones happen in one day. Now, that being said I want to remind people that fatal events happen in life and all sports. There is no 100% survival rate for any activity you are doing (even for me writing this post while sitting at my couch). Look up micromorts to have an idea of what I am talking about. So, understand all life activities have risk. The difference for cheer is that at a game like basketball we are a supplementary part of the event. People do not expect the supplementary event to have a severe or fatal accident. It would be more accepted if someone were to pass on the basketball team while on the court than someone part of the cheerleading team while on the court. And that is part of the problem. We don't want or expect cheer to have an injury while watching basketball, because "cheerleading is non dangerous and just pom shaking and doing pyramids. Those aren't hard."

I don't know about the rest of the country but in VA, they require that for HS when the kids are tossing, they need to have mats underneath them. They also limit what stunts can be done on certain surfaces. But, that doesn't mean you're going to always have people who follow the rules. If you look at what stunt this was where she got hurt, it wasn't something crazy - it was a shoulder stand. So it's more of a spotting issue versus anything. There was no spotter standing around.

I cheered in college for football and basketball and I can honestly say that after they made it illegal to do any twisting or tucking tosses at games, we still did them. But we knew it could come with consequences. We did a few but mostly it was crowd involvement. I think as long as you have spotters you can make this relatively safer.

Let me say I am not trying to say I am against cheering and doing skills at basketball games, just speaking in what is inevitable statistically.

I'm sorry, I can see where you would think that I was trying to make it sound as though you had said basketball cheer was a bad idea. I meant only the statistically part, as well. Thanks for your response.

I cheered in college for football and basketball and I can honestly say that after they made it illegal to do any twisting or tucking tosses at games, we still did them. But we knew it could come with consequences. We did a few but mostly it was crowd involvement. I think as long as you have spotters you can make this relatively safer.

When you say, "But we knew it could come with consequences", where were those possible consequences coming from? Coaches? Team members? Parents? Who monitors what is now considered illegal in football/basketball cheer?

In AllStar you get deductions, so there are obvious reasons as to why you would not want to do something illegal. On the college sidelines, I don't see how stating it is "illegal" would prevent it from happening.

Back