All-Star "breaking" Cheerleaders In The Splits

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

She seems to be trashing statements he made during the time frame this happened in other tweets. I think the world record holder was to give people the impression that this isn't some guy off the street who doesn't have a lot of experience. This guy has a Ted Talk video, an organization built for tumbling, holds a world record, did something with the Olympics (still not quite sure what)---so clearly he knew better.

I'm disgusted that the administration didn't step in, but I am also curious if the parents who knew pulled their kid. I know we go on and on about doing whatever it takes to keep our little suzie's happy, but I really hope the moms had the common sense to cut the cord and walk after camp.

Just because you are good at something does not mean you would be good at teaching and/or training others to do it. Kind of like someone who can bake a really good cake but their decorating skills are lacking so you might want to team up with someone who can decorate well. And in this case, this guy should just stick to choreography and technique and have someone else handle the conditioning KWIM

Here is my opinion that I'm sure all of you will disagree with.

The optics of this video are terrible, terrible for the sport especially for those who have no real understanding of the sport in the first place. From the video linked above I don't see the child be forced and being pushed into the split his fingers are under the athletes arms that's a supporting position likely for posture if his hands were on her shoulders pushing down this would be a very different scenario. The girls holding her legs only make the optics worse but for the most part it looks like they weren't pushing down either (except for the girl in the front). Even though this was an elevated split if that strong man were actually pushing her she would have been flat to the floor she isn't flat on the floor if anything her own weight due to gravity is whats pushing her down he is helping her maintain posture and almost lifting the girl. Optics are terrible and that's something all coaches have to be very vigilant about the man while be fired and be blacklisted from the sport all together.

On Cheerhab with Eddie and Orby every single episode featured 2 or 3 athletes crying from being stretched and not once did we question their coaching ability and they likely met those kids 30 minutes before they had the kid crying Ozell has worked with this team before and likely has an idea of each kid's ability. Optics are bad and the kids assisting him in the video only make it 10x worse. I have no relationship with the guy or program because I'm sure that will be questioned.

You need to listen to the interview with the child. She says he had a knee in her back at one point, forcing her down with his hands on her shoulders. She has a documented tear from this. Regardless of any of that, she is in enough distress that the exercise SHOULD HAVE STOPPED. period. There is no benefit to trying to force it at that point when she is fighting to get away and being held down. If she was unwilling to do the work to improve her flexibility in the proper manner, dismiss her from the team, but no child should ever be treated this way. The difference between this and what you are talking about with Cali is that those girls were willing participants. I still don't think it was right, but they weren't fighting to get away and being held down by teammates.

His knee was probably against her back for posture I doubt he was kneeing or pressing against her back. His hands were on her shoulders completely visible *from the video I saw.
It doesn't matter, period. The girl was in distress, fighting to get away, and being held down. That isn't ok. There is NO WAY to justify it, and the adult in charge should have stopped it immediately.

The saddest part is seeing moms of little cheerleaders I know defending this man and saying "oh, this is normal in allstar!". I'm so shocked I don't know what to say. THIS ISN'T NORMAL AND SHOULDN'T BE. Ugh. Hope the girl and their teammates get a new coach and can have a better year.

I've now seen a few comments from coaches I know & respected defending O and what is happening in the video. Most saying that the video is out of context and we don't see medical proof (i.e her doctors note) saying that she is actually injured. I even saw one go as far to say the child was being a drama queen and that her reaction did not justify stopping the stretch. I had to just close out of the browser to stop myself from going off.

I don't care if she is being a drama queen or trying to become the next World Champion... when she first screamed stop like that, you stop.

But I dont see any of these girls who are crying, yelling to please stop. They are crying but continued because they wanted to do so. I don't know if other videos show girls asking him to stop because I don't really watch this show.

The optics of this video are terrible, terrible for the sport especially for those who have no real understanding of the sport in the first place. From the video linked above I don't see the child be forced and being pushed into the split his fingers are under the athletes arms that's a supporting position likely for posture if his hands were on her shoulders pushing down this would be a very different scenario. The girls holding her legs only make the optics worse but for the most part it looks like they weren't pushing down either (except for the girl in the front). Even though this was an elevated split if that strong man were actually pushing her she would have been flat to the floor she isn't flat on the floor if anything her own weight due to gravity is whats pushing her down he is helping her maintain posture and almost lifting the girl. Optics are terrible and that's something all coaches have to be very vigilant about the man while be fired and be blacklisted from the sport all together.

On Cheerhab with Eddie and Orby every single episode featured 2 or 3 athletes crying from being stretched and not once did we question their coaching ability and they likely met those kids 30 minutes before they had the kid crying Ozell has worked with this team before and likely has an idea of each kid's ability. Optics are bad and the kids assisting him in the video only make it 10x worse. I have no relationship with the guy or program because I'm sure that will be questioned.

his knee was being pushed down into her back, hip region. I dont get how you cant see that in HS video.

i will say a little overstretching for a very short amount of times isnt going to kill anyone if done properly and in short increments (my own hs cheer team back in the day did it as well)
but when you have to have the entire team help someone down into a split, your not doing anyone favors.

i didnt agree when the smoed show was trying to force girls to get needles, simply because it was completely pointless.

and unless this girl was a flyer, i dont see the point of forcing her into a split.

and for the idiots who defend his behavior saying the girl shouldnt be a cheerleader if she cant do a split, show me some pics of current cheer teams that do splits on the track field during game day..... ill wait.....

his knee was being pushed down into her back, hip region. I dont get how you cant see that in HS video.

i will say a little overstretching for a very short amount of times isnt going to kill anyone if done properly and in short increments (my own hs cheer team back in the day did it as well)
but when you have to have the entire team help someone down into a split, your not doing anyone favors.

i didnt agree when the smoed show was trying to force girls to get needles, simply because it was completely pointless.

and unless this girl was a flyer, i dont see the point of forcing her into a split.

and for the idiots who defend his behavior saying the girl shouldnt be a cheerleader if she cant do a split, show me some pics of current cheer teams that do splits on the track field during game day..... ill wait.....
This exactly. I cheered L5 for 3 years and also flew in college. During that entire time, I barely had a left split and NEVER came close to a right one. Flexibility is important, but it's definitely not the end-all and be-all of cheerleading, especially if you're not a flyer.

That is an assumption. Nothing is being clearly shown except for that his knee is physically behind which makes sense since the man is literally behind her, he could be kneeling belong side as he was when the video first started.

That is an assumption. Nothing is being clearly shown except for that his knee is physically behind which makes sense since the man is literally behind her, he could be kneeling belong side as he was when the video first started.

I would be very careful defending this. It's not ok.
It never will be ok.

omg my mom just showed me this and all I have to say:
F**k the girls. If there all teammates, they shouldve listened to her! And was one of them laughing too? What the actual helling s**t is wrong with her???

Based off his Ted Talk video, this is an intelligent man. You cannot tell me that he didn't know that he was hurting that child. And based off the way he tossed her aside at the end, it is apparent that he did not care that he had hurt her. It sounds as if he has gotten away with this type of behavior for quite some time.

If I touched my neighbor in that way, I would go to jail for assault.

Abuse is overlooked in this sport by parents because everyone wants their kid to be cool. When parents stop putting up with abusive coaches, then they have to stop abusing our kids. Personally, I'm glad this came out nationally. Attention brings about change.

Just watched this and he said they got like 8 different videos of doing this of 8 different girls??????

Back