All-Star "breaking" Cheerleaders In The Splits

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Do they not run background checks before hiring coaches at schools? I am very confused by the fact that he got fired for using that technique but then got to go to a new school

Or check references?

@AndyT_T What was the official reason he was fired from your school?

I don't know what I'm allowed to say tbh, but what he was doing isn't "illegal" technically so it's not like he had a record for them to find.
And I don't know what their hiring process is but for every school I've worked for you filled out your experience sheet and reference sheet personally, so if he didn't list us and instead listed any number of other industry people he knew that would vouch for him he could probably fly under the radar.
Honestly though they were probably just as wowed at his credentials as the parents were and they might have not even called his references.

That's all speculation though, I don't honestly know what his school did or didn't do when checking him out.

I don't think its fair or appropriate to assume that he uses drugs.

This is colorado where recreational marijuana is completely legal and acceptable, saying he looked stoned isn't a character attack or inappropriate at all for a Colorado resident.

Edit: I feel like it should be noted that I cannot and do not partake in marijuana because I work in healthcare.

What I find equally disturbing, and correct me if I'm wrong (but over the course of the 3 days of this story hitting the Internet no information has proven this otherwise ) but this event happened in June. Prior to June 15th. It's now August 26th. Excuse me, but what? Two months? What was happening in between? We know the email was sent to the AD on June 15th and the police investigation began Aug 22/23? What went on in the 60 days in between (my guess is not a dang thing, hence the families going to the news) Now all of these people are suspended....but their names aren't listed in any article I've seen (just Ozell Williams) and from what I read, as I understand it....the suspensions happened this week. Why else would "East High students be getting counseling and learning that the principal is suspended this week". Like do y'all understand how crazy this part of the story is? Not just the abusive act, but the amount of balls dropped and no protection or help these girls received for MONTHS. Like this is insane.

They need to name everyone involved, because while everyone didn't hold the girls down, they still failed to protect them.

TBH I hope the families sue the district and everyone involved individually if possible. Ridiculous.

Like as an educator I just can't fathom this aspect of this story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand what the administration was thinking either, but no one is going to release any names until they figure out how the ball was dropped or they'll face another law suit (ETA I see they released the names). There's so much going on in this video that lawyers will have a field day with. She is pleading "stop, please stop" over and over, bullying, sadistic behavior, kids being conditioned not to question authority, race, kids conditioned to ignore pleas of distress, not having control over her body, and then tossed to the side after he's done. It will be interesting to see how many schools will take away cheer camps not only in this district, but around the country.

I think it's awful like most of you and I also find the cheerhab video disturbing.

Found this while googling about safe/dangerous stretching. The whole article is an interesting read, here's a part of it:

"During any flexibility exercises, students should not be experiencing pain. If they are grimacing, crying, or trying to shift out of the position the body will be fighting back and chances are its not safe."

Is Over Stretching Bad? - The Ballet Blog

Yeah thats the part that confuses me.. why can't we see the other videos? And anyone know why these videos were recorded in the first place? Did someone plan on exposing this by making the videos or?

When it was originally reported, they said that 2 fellow teammates secretly recorded them to be used against the coaches. Which the parents then took to the school, and I guess after it wasn't resolved, they were anonymously sent to the local news. It went national after that.

One thing that bothers me, is that it's not just this coach. There's a culture among cheer and coaches of other youth sports that this and other types of abuse are "just what it takes" and parents buy it and that needs to stop. If abuse is what it takes (in this form or in other forms), then it's not worth it.
That's what I said on the news, "Winning is obviously a benefit, but we want to win the right way, not the wrong way." That's how the interview ended. These are kids, not professional athletes. The win at all costs strategy has no place in youth sports.

That's what I said on the news, "Winning is obviously a benefit, but we want to win the right way, not the wrong way." That's how the interview ended. These are kids, not professional athletes. The win at all costs strategy has no place in youth sports.

Yes. This is why I'm somewhat uncomfortable villianizing this one coach. Obviously not all coaches, or even most, coach this way...and the ones who do don't *only* coach in this way. It needs to be addressed, but the way this guy is being crucified on social media is also really upsetting to me. Although, it's also upsetting to see coaches, parents, athletes defending crap coaching techniques. Rambling, I know.

Yes. This is why I'm somewhat uncomfortable villianizing this one coach. Obviously not all coaches, or even most, coach this way...and the ones who do don't *only* coach in this way. It needs to be addressed, but the way this guy is being crucified on social media is also really upsetting to me. Although, it's also upsetting to see coaches, parents, athletes defending crap coaching techniques. Rambling, I know.

If he were a new coach with little experience and this happened one time, I could see having an ounce of sympathy for him. But realistically he's been fired before for this very thing and is not a novice coach. He deserves everything he has coming at him, imo.

I don't have sympathy, I just think it's important to acknowledge the culture in youth sports that supports this type of coaching. Remember I'm the mom who pulled her kid from cheer because a very popular coach in the industry made her team "earn" water on a 95* day. I lost friends over it because they accepted that a well-known coach knew what he was doing.

....so if he didn't list us and instead listed any number of other industry people he knew that would vouch for him he could probably fly under the radar.
Honestly though they were probably just as wowed at his credentials as the parents were and they might have not even called his references.

That's all speculation though, I don't honestly know what his school did or didn't do when checking him out.
I believe his aunt is the head coach or in some position of power at East HS, which was how he got the job. I recall seeing a post on his Instagram about it (which is now deleted womp womp)

I have no sympathy for Ozell Williams. I have no sympathy for the assistant coach, admin or district lawyer. I hope they all get what's coming to them

My sympathy lies with the cheerleaders subjected to it, the cheerleaders that were forced to hold her down, and the parents.

TBH this story would have been entirely different if it'd happened to my niece and I commend the families for that. I probably would have gone and picked up my ride or die cousins that have nothing but time on their hands and nothing to lose and invited Ozell to cash us ousside. I'd like to think I'm joking, but I don't think I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what I'm allowed to say tbh, but what he was doing isn't "illegal" technically so it's not like he had a record for them to find.
And I don't know what their hiring process is but for every school I've worked for you filled out your experience sheet and reference sheet personally, so if he didn't list us and instead listed any number of other industry people he knew that would vouch for him he could probably fly under the radar.

Hopefully the illegal part comes into play when they hit him with assault/abuse charges and then he WILL have a record that shows up on background checks.

Hopefully the illegal part comes into play when they hit him with assault/abuse charges and then he WILL have a record that shows up on background checks.
I hope so too....my friend could do nothing when he scammed them! He got away with stealing $ from them.

Back