College Budget Concerns With Ncata/stunt?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thank you so much!!! I will try to add an NCA list too...this will help us so much! I am wondering if anyone who is considering or planning to do NCATA would release the info to add their name to the list.

Thank you so much!!! I will try to add an NCA list too...this will help us so much! I am wondering if anyone who is considering or planning to do NCATA would release the info to add their name to the list.
I think an NCA list would be too big to put on here, you'd be better off just looking through results from the last couple of years in divisions your daughter is interested in e.g. D1A all girl, small coed etc. and making a list for the two of you for potential schools. Bare in mind that schools can change divisions e.g. Clemson is now D1A all girl instead of small coed.
Last years NCATA teams are (in order of last years rankings);
Oregon
Maryland
Azuza Pacific
Baylor
Quinnipiac
Fairmont State
Also I heard a couple of other schools were going NCATA but nothing materialised.

Hello, I work for STUNT and thought I would help clear some things up!
  • With STUNT there is no sideline cheering, only competition.
  • STUNT teams who participate in STUNT don’t have to compete at UCA or NCA Nationals.
  • STUNT is not in conjunction with NCA (nor UCA) Nationals.
  • This year we have a lot of new teams participating in STUNT! Once we get everyone locked in, we’ll put a list on the STUNT website. http://www.collegestunt.org/index.php
Let me know if you guys have any other questions!

Texas A&M only has a club team (no gameday cheerleaders).....University of Florida and University of Georgia were also the club teams competing at Stunt. Possibly UNC or NC State were the club teams as well but not 100 % sure on that.

So theres still a chance I don't have to cheer sideline for some teams or NCATA or STUNT?
That would make me super duper happy :)) but then again, I haven't cheered college sideline yet and might like it!

Are you referring to All*Star teams at various levels (1-6) which are hosted by local gyms but compete Regionally & Nationally? Those are actually sponsored by USASF, which has been supported financially by Varsity Brands (UCA) since inception, however, it is not UCA or NCA but USASF. You can obtain more information at the USASF website.

I think an NCA list would be too big to put on here, you'd be better off just looking through results from the last couple of years in divisions your daughter is interested in e.g. D1A all girl, small coed etc. and making a list for the two of you for potential schools. Bare in mind that schools can change divisions e.g. Clemson is now D1A all girl instead of small coed.
Last years NCATA teams are (in order of last years rankings);
Oregon
Maryland
Azuza Pacific
Baylor
Quinnipiac
Fairmont State
Also I heard a couple of other schools were going NCATA but nothing materialised.

Keep in mind the public will never know all of the non-public information until it is released to the press.

A phrase we used in Boy Scouts to answer the outstanding question for teenage youth, "Are we ready to eat yet?" with the reply being, "All will be revealed in time!"

The same is true for the current list of NCATA Teams, once they are committed and part of the program you will see National announcements, which is probably true for the VBI (Varsity Brands Inc./USA Cheer) version called Stunt. After all in both ccases they are dedicated to creating a Collegiate Competitive Cheer alternative to Sideline teams which currently compete in 27 Division National Titles under both the NCA and UCA brands. Doing the math this means a Coach paying attention to their athletes abilities can almost select a Division for competition and be successful by performing their 2.5 minute routine 1-2 times. Just to keep things in perspective regrading the pursuit of an NCA or UCA National title ... your goal is to be named as one of 54 National Cheer titles in a single calendar year.

NCATA will have one National Champion, University of Oregon in 2011, and only one which follows a Season of competitions (home & away) leading to the final competition of the Season ... Nationals. Only one title, one team and a handful of Individual National All American recognitions, now that is serious work and appropriate recognition.

Although not what I originally was looking for on this post, I've enjoyed reading your comments back and forth. I think the fact that it's a small, D3 program without the possibility for athletic scholarships anyway, I don't know that I'd ever be able to recruit a team that could be competitive in NCATA... hence, why I was leaning toward STUNT and NCA. I think my first 2 years of building this program are going to be more in line with STUNT and with the All-Girl Intermediate division at NCA. The program has no visibility and no talent at the moment, so I don't know how many level 5 high school seniors would even be interested at this point. There are currently 12 girls on the team here, only 6 of which even have tumbling. They've always been self-coached, and anyone with skills who joins the team is usually done after the first week. They have petitioned to get competitive cheer started here, and the A.D. is actually on board. My hope is to recruit from Level 3 and 4 teams and go intermediate the first season and see how it goes. It's the best private school in the state, generous with academic and minority scholarships, I don't see where I would have trouble drawing in those kids who still want to cheer in college, but couldn't make a D1 team because they're not throwing a full. For this season, it's too late to do anything major, but I'd like to put them in College 4 at a local Cheersport comp just for the experience. I know that I need to get them out there in order to drum up interest, but I can only do so much with the limited amount of talent, and I'm not going to showcase them if they're not ready. I'm going to have to work their buns off all season and see what happens.

That's my strategy now anyway, please I would love to keep this going, and will definitely be posting more on this topic. Anything else you all want to offer would be great:) I'm heading into a meeting right now with the A.D. here... fingers crossed for some kind of reasonable budget agreement lol

Although comparing apples & pineapples is a favorite pastime when involved in conversations surrounding the “water cooler” … it usually isn’t very productive in solving the “big picture” questions which need to be addressed to establish “next steps” moving your program into a new focus. Let me suggest you first establish whether your University is seriously interested in providing financial support for a New All Female Competitive Team(T9), then determine which format will best fit your intended goals. Depending upon the numbers of participants you believe are currently involved at the High School level or younger (participants numbers range from 2-4 million), will provide confidant athletic ability and is ready for recruitment and training … TODAY! Considering both the NCATA and USA Cheer are pursuing Title XI (T9) and Office of Civil Rights (OCR) approval then the NCAA requirements for all athletes will establish minimum budgets for offering either A&T or Stunt.

Bottom line: Whether you provide A&T (Acrobatics & Tumbling) or Stunt, if you are treating every participating athlete the same as all other NCAA Female athletes on campus, the cost should be the same! The cost will cover many items such as: scholarships, athletic trainer support, practice & competition facility, strength training, academic tutoring, Coaches salaries, uniforms, specialty equipment (mats, overhead spotting rig, foam pit, etc.), and travel.

So first determine the Universities desire to provide a NEW ALL FEMALE COMPETITIVE SPORT supported and reviewed by NCAA regulations, then make your next move with a budget proposal.

Food for thought:
Quality has a price, but the price is either one of value or not.
A wise consumer will analyze quality indicators first and then compare price (quantity) last.

You will determine the quality of your program as you establish an answer between A&T versus Stunt.

Ok...Rusty has my attention....and for the record, we like apples and pineapples. We just happen to like one fruit better :)

and Num1Stunta what happened at the meeting?!

Are you referring to All*Star teams at various levels (1-6) which are hosted by local gyms but compete Regionally & Nationally? Those are actually sponsored by USASF, which has been supported financially by Varsity Brands (UCA) since inception, however, it is not UCA or NCA but USASF. You can obtain more information at the USASF website.
No im referring to college teams. Either way, I'm cheering in college. Just would prefer to not have to cheer sidelines.

From everything I have heard, read and talked NCATA is the wave of the future. I truly feel that they will receive official "sport" status soon which will REQUIRE universities to offer equal support (staff, travel and most importantly to parents SCHOLARSHIPS). I have several athletes that are looking into NCATA schools and being actively recruited and let me tell you it's the coolest thing I've seen in the world of cheer in a long long time. There are tons of details that I don't know all the ends and outs of, but IMO STUNT and NCATA are both in their infancy so I truly can't wait to see what the future holds!
But to answer your question, in regards to NCATA, the FIRST thing you need to check with your school (as previously stated) is IF they are willing to add a female SPORT to the University. I wish you the best of luck, either way its more opportunity for athletes to be involved in college!

There are a few (not many) schools where Coed cheer is under the umbrella of the Athletics dept vs "activities" and are awarded scholarships, but they all have to cheer games! I Love watching the STUNT and NCATA meets, for All Girl teams it is GREAT....But not sure how it will affect COED teams down the line. I have gotten very spoiled watching single based stunts and sky high baskets thrown by Coed teams...gives me chills!

Back