College Budget Concerns With Ncata/stunt?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hello, I work for STUNT and thought I would help clear some things up!
  • With STUNT there is no sideline cheering, only competition.
  • STUNT teams who participate in STUNT don’t have to compete at UCA or NCA Nationals.
  • STUNT is not in conjunction with NCA (nor UCA) Nationals.
  • This year we have a lot of new teams participating in STUNT! Once we get everyone locked in, we’ll put a list on the STUNT website. http://www.collegestunt.org/index.php
Let me know if you guys have any other questions!

Isn't it true that most, if not all of these STUNT teams are made up of people on the sideline team and the team that competes at either NCA or UCA and coached by the same coaches that coach the sideline/competition team. So that while it is not necessary for an STUNT athlete to cheer sideline or compete most do anyway. And to me if you didn't want to be associated or considered to be in conjunction with NCA, the you wouldn't have your nationals on the same weekend in the same place as NCA nationals. I can understand from a budget standpoint to try and get those teams that are competing at NCA anyway so they won't have additional expenses to get to STUNT nationals. After stunt takes off more will STUNT nationals take place as it's own thing and not piggybacking on NCA? I mean, eventually if STUNT is to be recognized by NCAA the atletes will have to choose between NCA and sideline and STUNT anyway.

Yes, the WVU team is the club team. They have two co-ed teams that are game day only, they do not compete.

It sounds like she wants to have her cake and eat it too. This is a transitional time for collegiate cheerleading, so what your daughter is looking for simply isn't available. She can't be considered a Varsity Athlete with all the perks while doing cheer (currently). Even schools with STUNT/NCATA, they are not considered Varsity Athletes in the same way that gymnastics or tennis or volleyball are. These teams are much more on a club level with a few of the Athletic Department perks that are offered to other teams. When you look at the number of schools offering NCATA and STUNT and then compare that to the number of schools with traditional cheer teams, it's a tiny amount. I don't know your daughter, and she may very well have the skills to make one of those teams. If she does, she needs to understand that she won't be walking around campus getting "respect" like most varsity athletes.....in fact, the traditional sideline cheerleaders will get more recognition on campus than she will (at least for the next few years while NCATA/STUNT is still in its formative years).

i am on an NCATA team and i have to say my team gets a lot of respect from my school. people in my dorm ask me about the team all the time and say how "legit" we are. the other freshmen athletes see us as equals to them and their teams and i really like getting the respect i and my team deserve.

I hate cheering sidelines for high school.. But I want to cheer in college. Any programs allow just competition? Or am I stuck with both?

im the same way, i hated sidelines but love to compete. as someone said earlier NCATA teams only compete and i think theres some other competitive cheer teams that dont do sidelines either, but i dont know of any off the top of my head.

im the same way, i hated sidelines but love to compete. as someone said earlier NCATA teams only compete and i think theres some other competitive cheer teams that dont do sidelines either, but i dont know of any off the top of my head.
I'm really liking NCATA right now lol. I'm going to look into it and the schools that offer it

Want to see how STUNT works? Watch our video, it'll show you how the game is played! http://www.collegestunt.org/custpage.php?cid=993
@USA Cheer thanks for posting.

In it's current format STUNT will never get accepted by NCAA as emerging sports status. 1. because it does not have a non-biased governing body. (USA Cheer doesn't count since it was created and is still run by Varsity--as per Jeff Webb's testimony)
2. it does not have a consistent season and scoring standards. The ties with STUNT, NCA, UCA, and other competitive college teams are too blurred. 3. Sideline cheer athletes are permited to do stunt right now which will clearly not be allowed of anyone in an NCAA varsity sport.

What is STUNT doing to get closer to compromising to show it is meeting the requirements set out by the NCAA?

How is STUNT attempting to work with NCATA as per the NCAA's request?

Ok...Rusty has my attention....and for the record, we like apples and pineapples. We just happen to like one fruit better :)

and Num1Stunta what happened at the meeting?!

Well, it's very interesting.... The program is currently considered a club sport, which is student-run. Apparently, the captains never turned in a budget request at the end of last year, so there is only $1000 budgeted out for the whole season right now. The information I was given was completely incorrect, in terms of interest. Right now, I have 22 girls and 1 boy.... but no male uniforms and only 12 girls' uniforms. They are telling me they want to just order a different uni for the other 10 girls, rather than buy all new ones. So, that's not happening.

The Athletics director is on-board to support us by purchasing mats and paying me a stipend, which is a good start. The issue at hand is that the team's leadership in the past has been shoddy, and apparently they haven't been seen at many games or on-campus events. The athletics director is hesitant to pour more funds into us right away, which is understandable. My goal for this season is to get them more involved on that level first, and hopefully that will drum up some more support from the athletics dept. Our "5 year plan" is to work toward keeping cheer under campus rec as a sideline activity, and competitive cheer under athletics, most likely as STUNT.

All in all, it could have gone worse... there's a good deal of work to be done, for sure:)

We spoke to a STUNT coach who said STUNT team members will be given the choice whether or not to do sideline, if they do not want to cheer sideline, they will not be required to do so.

Well, it's very interesting.... The program is currently considered a club sport, which is student-run. Apparently, the captains never turned in a budget request at the end of last year, so there is only $1000 budgeted out for the whole season right now. The information I was given was completely incorrect, in terms of interest. Right now, I have 22 girls and 1 boy.... but no male uniforms and only 12 girls' uniforms. They are telling me they want to just order a different uni for the other 10 girls, rather than buy all new ones. So, that's not happening.

The Athletics director is on-board to support us by purchasing mats and paying me a stipend, which is a good start. The issue at hand is that the team's leadership in the past has been shoddy, and apparently they haven't been seen at many games or on-campus events. The athletics director is hesitant to pour more funds into us right away, which is understandable. My goal for this season is to get them more involved on that level first, and hopefully that will drum up some more support from the athletics dept. Our "5 year plan" is to work toward keeping cheer under campus rec as a sideline activity, and competitive cheer under athletics, most likely as STUNT.

All in all, it could have gone worse... there's a good deal of work to be done, for sure:)

This is very interesting, thank you so much for sharing your process with us. It helps our frustration to understand what coaches are going through....Wishing you all the best!!

We spoke to a STUNT coach who said STUNT team members will be given the choice whether or not to do sideline, if they do not want to cheer sideline, they will not be required to do so.

But that's not really this issue. The point is that STUNT athletes are currently free to do both. When a format of competitive cheer is accepted as a full varsity sport by the NCAA, those athletes will not be permitted to perform in support of another team.

But that's not really this issue. The point is that STUNT athletes are currently free to do both. When a format of competitive cheer is accepted as a full varsity sport by the NCAA, those athletes will not be permitted to perform in support of another team.

Why? Jon Love played baseball while cheering at Kentucky and didn't have any NCAA issues. If Stunt or NCATA is truly recognized as a sport and sideline cheer is not, there shouldn't be anything the NCAA says to stop someone from participating in both. The school or the coaches may make it difficult, but I don't believe the NCAA would step in.

Why? Jon Love played baseball while cheering at Kentucky and didn't have any NCAA issues. If Stunt or NCATA is truly recognized as a sport and sideline cheer is not, there shouldn't be anything the NCAA says to stop someone from participating in both. The school or the coaches may make it difficult, but I don't believe the NCAA would step in.

Not positive, but I think there may be something about using the same skill set. Because you could just have your whole ncata team be on a cheer team and get around the practice time limit rules, off seasons etc.

I would def like to hear more about this. I've actually had this debate with a few people and I haven't heard an "official" word one way or another. I could see how it COULD happen, but I could also see how problems with practice and recruiting might occur. Please if you hear either way I'd really like to hear more.

Not positive, but I think there may be something about using the same skill set. Because you could just have your whole ncata team be on a cheer team and get around the practice time limit rules, off seasons etc.

I would def like to hear more about this. I've actually had this debate with a few people and I haven't heard an "official" word one way or another. I could see how it COULD happen, but I could also see how problems with practice and recruiting might occur. Please if you hear either way I'd really like to hear more.

NCAA athletes can not participate in club sports or intramurals that are in the same skills set. So an NCAA baseball player can play basketball intamurals, but they couldn't play softball intramurals. Traditional cheerleading and STUNT or NCATA all involve the same skills set. I did about 15 minutes of research and while I did not see any official NCAA documents stating the specific rule, I did see several college websites that basically said the same thing.

Back