College Budget Concerns With Ncata/stunt?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A few examples to back up my statement above:
Excerpt from University of Florida Club Sport Rules
Present scholarship athletes, walk-ons and practice team players are not eligible in their related sport until the following academic year (beginning Summer B) after they have quit the team or their eligibility has expired. The walk-on or practice team player will be considered ineligible if they are participating/practicing with the team during their NCAA sanctioned semester.

From Northwestern State
  1. NCAA athletes can play any sport that they did not letter in. For example, an NCAA football player can play volleyball, basketball, or softball.
  2. Any individual receiving financial aid directly for his/her athletic participation shall not be eligible to participate in that sport during that same year of an NSU competitive intramural program.
From UMass Amherst
Varsity athletes are welcome to participate in intramural activities with the following stipulations:

• A current varsity athlete may not compete in an intramural activity in his/her varsity sport or related sport. This includes redshirt athletes and redshirt freshmen, but does not include non-qualifiers that are not practicing, competing or traveling with the team..

• A former varsity athlete, including any redshirt, must sit out for two years from the end of his/her intercollegiate participation before participating in an intramural activity in his/her varsity sport or related activity.

NCAA athletes can not participate in club sports or intramurals that are in the same skills set. So an NCAA baseball player can play basketball intamurals, but they couldn't play softball intramurals. Traditional cheerleading and STUNT or NCATA all involve the same skills set. I did about 15 minutes of research and while I did not see any official NCAA documents stating the specific rule, I did see several college websites that basically said the same thing.

Some schools and conferences have more restrictions than the NCAA. I'd like to know if there is an NCAA rule.

I would think a STUNT or Acrobatics and Tumbling Collegiate Coach would ask some questions before allowing their rostered student-athlete to participate in an activity, especially in regards to safety and academic success. Some examples:

1. Is this a sideline cheerleading team that also competes? If so, I would want to see the purchased catastrophic insurance plan since the NCAA does not insure the practices for competition nor the competition itself for sideline cheerleading. Are they using mats at games to do baskets, pyramids, and twisting tumbling?

2. Does the sideline team practice compromise the athlete as relative to safety and vice versa? For instance, a strength and conditioning coach for a varsity sport works in conjunction with the coaching staff. If the strength and conditioning staff has had a Monday 6:00 AM workout and has recommended a full day recovery which the head coach honors, and the sideline team has a practice that same day...how would this work? Or if the sideline team has a 9-11:00 PM practice and the sport team has a 6:00 AM S& C training circuit the next morning (not allowing the double duty athlete enough rest)...how does this work? Sports teams also have pre-season/post-season mandatory compliance with specific guidelines to building their skills and strength. How would an athlete not be overtrained and susceptible to over use injuries? Is the sideline cheerleading team base-line concussion tested and are concussions and return to play guidelines established for their activity? Of course, if this is truly a sideline team that simply shakes poms, uses signs and leads the crowd than I suppose no safety issues come into play...however, now one needs to look at academics.

3. The NCAA has just ramped up the standards for student-athlete's academics. If a student-athlete falls below a certain academic standard they are not allowed to play. The NCAA allows for a 20 hour work load to include; team meetings, competition (3 hours), strength & conditioning, practices and individual training. The student-athlete must also have at least one dedicated day off (which can be a travel day). If taking part in an extra curricular activity compromises their GPA, I would think both parents and academic advisors would be raising objections. I am sure that their are students who can handle both, but even at the onset of the appearance of compromised academics for a double-duty player, I would think the coach of a recruited player would be voicing grave concerns. I would think a sideline coach who competes her team would have the same standards in regards to safety and academics, especially since double duty will also affect her program.

Some schools and conferences have more restrictions than the NCAA. I'd like to know if there is an NCAA rule.
I spoke to a friend that is in charge of intramural athletics at a University and he said it is per sport to decide. Ex. NCAA football decides what football players can do etc. etc. To his knowledge there are no sports that ALLOW same skill set involvement. He is looking into this more for me. I hope this helps and I def look forward to hearing more!!!

Although not what I originally was looking for on this post, I've enjoyed reading your comments back and forth. I think the fact that it's a small, D3 program without the possibility for athletic scholarships anyway, I don't know that I'd ever be able to recruit a team that could be competitive in NCATA... hence, why I was leaning toward STUNT and NCA. I think my first 2 years of building this program are going to be more in line with STUNT and with the All-Girl Intermediate division at NCA. The program has no visibility and no talent at the moment, so I don't know how many level 5 high school seniors would even be interested at this point. There are currently 12 girls on the team here, only 6 of which even have tumbling. They've always been self-coached, and anyone with skills who joins the team is usually done after the first week. They have petitioned to get competitive cheer started here, and the A.D. is actually on board. My hope is to recruit from Level 3 and 4 teams and go intermediate the first season and see how it goes. It's the best private school in the state, generous with academic and minority scholarships, I don't see where I would have trouble drawing in those kids who still want to cheer in college, but couldn't make a D1 team because they're not throwing a full. For this season, it's too late to do anything major, but I'd like to put them in College 4 at a local Cheersport comp just for the experience. I know that I need to get them out there in order to drum up interest, but I can only do so much with the limited amount of talent, and I'm not going to showcase them if they're not ready. I'm going to have to work their buns off all season and see what happens.

That's my strategy now anyway, please I would love to keep this going, and will definitely be posting more on this topic. Anything else you all want to offer would be great:) I'm heading into a meeting right now with the A.D. here... fingers crossed for some kind of reasonable budget agreement lol

Now, … some of us are wondering the results of your meeting, which direction did you select and when the program will start the first season?
What information was your decision based upon? What was the response from the Ahtletic Department & the University Administration? etc.

I posted this in another thread, asking if the information is new...thought I would move the post over here since it is very relevant to the discussion we had going...sooo, does anyone know if this is new info??

As many of you know, USA Cheer applied for NCAA Emerging Sport Status earlier this summer and has been anticipating a response.
While USA Cheer was not ultimately granted Emerging Sport status at this time, we were given some clear instructions on our next steps in the process.With only one year under our belt, we were encouraged by the response and feedback from the NCAA and are confident in our ability to provide the CWA with the information they have requested.The NCAA’s Committee on Women’s Athletics (CWA) responded that they appreciate the efforts of USA Cheer to create an innovative sport with the mission of providing new opportunities for athletic competition for women. They also stated that they are interested in watching the sport’s growth beyond the first organized season.
In addition to having 22 teams participate in our inaugural season, we also have received interest from more than a dozen additional universities as well as several state high school associations.USA Cheer also teamed up with the American Sports Medicine Institute to ensure that we are doing all we can to provide a safe environment for our athletes.
It is USA Cheer’s belief that we’ve been given a unique opportunity – to create a new and innovative sport that opens up important athletic opportunities for female athletes. In keeping with the CWA’s recommendations, and in the spirit of what we are trying to accomplish for young people, we have reached out to the National Collegiate Acrobatics and Tumbling Association (NCATA) to begin discussions about the progress of the sport format and the potential of working together towards this common goal.
As the authority on cheerleading, USA Cheer will continue its leadership role in uniting all of the key players in the cheerleading community under USA Cheer’s umbrella to support the growth of our newest sport.
--Bill Seely

I posted this in another thread, asking if the information is new...thought I would move the post over here since it is very relevant to the discussion we had going...sooo, does anyone know if this is new info??

As many of you know, USA Cheer applied for NCAA Emerging Sport Status earlier this summer and has been anticipating a response.
It is USA Cheer’s belief that we’ve been given a unique opportunity – to create a new and innovative sport that opens up important athletic opportunities for female athletes. In keeping with the CWA’s recommendations, and in the spirit of what we are trying to accomplish for young people, we have reached out to the National Collegiate Acrobatics and Tumbling Association (NCATA) to begin discussions about the progress of the sport format and the potential of working together towards this common goal.
The impression I got from elsewhere is that NCAA said NCATA and Stunt have to work together to get cheer recognised as a sport, whereas (to me) the above statement makes it sound like USA Cheer are trying to make it look like they suggested it for the benefit of the sport.

This is what is posted on the STUNT website, and I do not remember seeing it on there before so I am wondering when this is from??

This letter came out on Aug 20th

I hate cheering sidelines for high school.. But I want to cheer in college. Any programs allow just competition? Or am I stuck with both?
Azusa Pacific University, which is in the NCATA, is competition only. I think all the schools in the NCATA are competition only. My oldest daughter cheered at APU her freshman year. She didn't want to do sidelines either!

I'm really liking NCATA right now lol. I'm going to look into it and the schools that offer it
I'm going to give you the same advice I gave my daughter...make sure you love the school not just the cheerleading! If for some reason you can't cheer all 4 years you need to love the school so you don't have to go through the hassle of trasferring.

I'm going to give you the same advice I gave my daughter...make sure you love the school not just the cheerleading! If for some reason you can't cheer all 4 years you need to love the school so you don't have to go through the hassle of trasferring.
Thanks for the advice!!:) I actually decided that I wanna go to UCF whether I cheer or not. I'm absolutely in love with the campus and location. Its perfect for me:) I'm so excited and I hope I get in!!

Back