OT California Schools No Longer Using 'redskins' As A Mascot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Are you okay with 'redskins' (or any NA tribe name) being used as a mascot

• Total voters
I think this country has gone way past being politically correct and I think it's ridiculous.

I mostly agree with this. I say mostly because I still feel there are some areas where we are not PC enough, but largely, I think a lot of what we've done recently is way too overkill for my personal taste.

It's very much a symbolic thing. I heard on the radio a few minutes ago only 4 high schools use Redskins as a mascot. Mainly in the Central Valley I think, none of the county/city names sounded too familiar when they were listed off.

Book of "I'm Offended" volume 2015 Everything You Need to Know....
th

It's a never ending cycle and we can't remove all that is offensive or we will no longer have any sign of history, religion, politics, museums, libraries, churches, businesses, schools, cars, computers, TV's, songs, books, magazines, alcohol, drugs (good or bad), sports, .........People have the freedom to not buy it, like it, look at it, partake in it, etc. The freedom to do so, or not, is why people come to this country. The down side, freedom will hurt and offend people. I'll stick with biting my tongue and keeping our freedom.

Many schools on tribal lands use "redskins" as a mascot. Who are we to tell them they cannot do so?

The thing I don't understand is that mascots are not used as something to be mocked--they are a point of pride for the school to rally around. "We are the Pirates!" "Go Eagles!" "This is Friartown!" are not things that are said mockingly or with an intent to offend. A team would never be called the Central High School Wusses or the South School Losers, for instance.

I was most upset about the Fighting Sioux debacle with the University of North Dakota. The NCAA said it was a "hostile and abusive" logo (despite the "Fighting Irish" located about 12 hours away at the *other* school initialed UND being fine) and forced the school to stop using it. The school needed to get approval from two tribes to continue using the name. One tribe said sure, it's fine, and the other tribe said "nah we're not voting on the issue," which the NCAA took to be a "nope."

So now they're just the University of North Dakota ________'s...which is silly.

I've never in my life had off for Columbus Day. Is this a thing?

It was when my kids were in school in Missouri and it was for me growing up in Florida. I mean, technically the man discovered the islands off our state---we should have had it off.

If a school's mascot was the "Huns/Samurai/Yellowskins/etc." and wore rice picker hats and flailed around katanas, which is what people do with headdresses and tomahawks, I'd be pretty offended.

Many schools on tribal lands use "redskins" as a mascot. Who are we to tell them they cannot do so?

The thing I don't understand is that mascots are not used as something to be mocked--they are a point of pride for the school to rally around. "We are the Pirates!" "Go Eagles!" "This is Friartown!" are not things that are said mockingly or with an intent to offend. A team would never be called the Central High School Wusses or the South School Losers, for instance.

I was most upset about the Fighting Sioux debacle with the University of North Dakota. The NCAA said it was a "hostile and abusive" logo (despite the "Fighting Irish" located about 12 hours away at the *other* school initialed UND being fine) and forced the school to stop using it. The school needed to get approval from two tribes to continue using the name. One tribe said sure, it's fine, and the other tribe said "nah we're not voting on the issue," which the NCAA took to be a "nope."

So now they're just the University of North Dakota ________'s...which is silly.
I realize that I'm being hypocritical about this (especially odd since I'm typically one to support freedom of speech, no matter how offensive). Allow me to modify my standpoint: I personally do not approve of the use of 'Redskins' as a mascot (though, due to the 1st Amendment, a sports franchise has the right to use it; I suppose that one could argue that this ruling is in violation of their 1st Amendment rights). As far as tribe names go, to me they are fine.

People are free to feel offended by whatever they wish (though many people go overboard). I think the issue is when people's freedom of speech is impacted because of it.

Last edited:
Back