OT California Schools No Longer Using 'redskins' As A Mascot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Are you okay with 'redskins' (or any NA tribe name) being used as a mascot

• Total voters
So I looked up the Tule River Tribe, and they have an eagle on their seal...so what about the Tule River Eagles?
We are Tulare Union (Tulare came from Tule)... That's not bad. We do have Hawks as a rival high school in Tulare already so some might argue there's already one bird in town... But I think that sounds really nice.

We are Tulare Union (Tulare came from Tule)... That's not bad. We do have Hawks as a rival high school in Tulare already so some might argue there's already one bird in town... But I think that sounds really nice.
well, according to their history, they also have traditions and stories including coyotes, so you could always use that too

Whatever you do, I would advise against going to "Red Storm." That's what my high school changed to after someone (who wasn't a Native American) pitched a fit about the Redskins name. (Meanwhile, all of the actual Native Americans in town were like....yeah we don't care.)

We were supposed to be the Titans--the movie Remember the Titans had just come out and people were excited--but that was rejected because the Titans, fictional beings who never existed, ate their young and that was just a smidge too violent for my town.

So now we're the Red Storm. Our logo is a cloud. It is not easy to work into cheers and most of them involved "Red" "White" and "Black" instead of the mascot name.

Both the high schools (and college) in the town I went to high school in are birds! The Eagles, Blue Jays, and Cardinals. We always thought it was cool and gave us solidarity. There is another high school in a neighboring district with a falcon as their mascot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever you do, I would advise against going to "Red Storm." That's what my high school changed to after someone (who wasn't a Native American) pitched a fit about the Redskins name. (Meanwhile, all of the actual Native Americans in town were like....yeah we don't care.)

We were supposed to be the Titans--the movie Remember the Titans had just come out and people were excited--but that was rejected because the Titans, fictional beings who never existed, ate their young and that was just a smidge too violent for my town.

So now we're the Red Storm. Our logo is a cloud. It is not easy to work into cheers and most of them involved "Red" "White" and "Black" instead of the mascot name.
I'll remember this... Couldn't stop laughing at your reasoning behind NOT picking Titans!!! Still laughing actually...

When my town was building a new high school, bull dogs was being considered. But then the concern about the girls being called *town name* *insert word for female dog*

LOL.

My high school was blue storm. I feel your pain.

oh man we need to be sister schools or something. that's fantastic.

They were the Blue Devils years and years ago. But they had a lot of Christian school opponents in their athletic matches who were offended and didn't want to play against them anymore and kind of forced them to change. (Sounds like a familiar tune in this thread....)

all of my friends from my old school made fun of how stupid it was (because they actually were still the blue devils).

Back