OT California Schools No Longer Using 'redskins' As A Mascot

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Are you okay with 'redskins' (or any NA tribe name) being used as a mascot

• Total voters
So much yes to this. People who just jump to conclusions with no research because it sounds like the PC thing to do and they want to be relevant are the root of much of our current social issues. The way this thread was started is a prime example. So much hype can be centered around specific events that people outside of that event know nothing about but choose to pour gas on it, light a match, and then walk away when the damage is done.
Yup. As you all can see from this thread, I've been guilty of that. Fortunately Fierceboard is a space that allows contrasting opinions to be expressed. If I hadn't heard contrasting opinions from fellow Fierceboarders, I wouldn't have been able to learn and modify my opinion. I am typically one to advocate for freedom of speech, but in this case I fell into hypocrisy. What scares me is that people don't seem to want there to be any space for people to have contrasting opinions. Contrasting opinions encourage people to learn and they keep discussions interesting. There is nothing to be gained from having others constantly affirm your beliefs/opinions.

Have you guys heard that recent study that claimed that 40% of millennials believe that hate speech should not be protected under the First Amendment? Might sound good to some people, until you realize that the definition of 'hate speech' can be bent any which way.

That's sad. :( You guys were doing everything respectfully.
To some yes, we were... to others maybe we were not...(and I get that who are are WE to say what is enough, not enough respectful or disrespectful to ones culture)I just know the school really centered the "mascot"... (Which Is avoided as being referred to as the term mascot)...on the education of Native American Culture. Not one individual attempting to pass the bill that passed came to visit any of the affected schools... (and they were invited multiple times)

I am so sorry for what your school is going through.
Thank you. Who I'm really sorry for is the abundance of Native Americans who originally went through the genocide... Native Americans were great people of wisdom and overcoming...
When people claim to be representing their interest and honor in defense with slurs, hate.. And threatening children who have and can clearly do nothing , something tells me there is a much bigger problem.

Have you guys heard that recent study that claimed that 40% of millennials believe that hate speech should not be protected under the First Amendment? Might sound good to some people, until you realize that the definition of 'hate speech' can be bent any which way.

I 100% agree. I live in Chicago and it is insanely diverse. I live on the South Side, go to school on the North Side and I work Downtown. Depending on where you go, the definition of "hate speech" completely changes. Oh, and it depends on who is saying it to who. There are some things that I hear people say that I would have thought to be "hateful". But, they don't see it that way when they are talking to each other. I have also accidentally said something disrespectful because I didn't know that the term was a racist comment. But, someone said something and I apologized and the situation was done.

We just lost our mascot, the "Redskins"... I was an alumni at the school I Head coach/advise for. We had been the Redskins since 1918. All school spirit items purchased for our school was purchased through local tribes. Anything even remotely in connection with Native American culture to our school would only be displayed or depicted with approval of local tribes. When introduced into our school as a freshman a two week lesson was given specifically on educating students on Native American culture.. Specifically the origination of the term "Redskin" and how the name and or term was now to be treated as a tribute. We have multiple visits from local tribes a year... 1. To keep in connection with the spirit and respect their culture 2. To ensure that we comply with their wishes and standards... That they are accurately and respectfully represented. 3. To continue the education and communication
We lost the mascot. It will cost out school more than a million to make necessary changes. Funds that will be taken from education. Our social media sites are harassed daily... Even though we have agreed to comply with the change . We are harassed by activists calling random students racists while cursing. We had a cheer video where the girls were simply dancing on you tube that had to be taken down due to activists calling the girls names and when asked to let us transition to a new name in peace activists continued to threaten students... All of this...simply because of the mascot name that they were offended by (mind you, these individuals were not Native American) however the kids were not chanting or wearing anything with term.
We have slowly removed Redskins from cheers... This year, it's not on our main uniforms.
It is my personal belief that Everyone has the right to be offended... The right to a strong opinion in opposition of something... However, at what point do we stop and say rather than continue to just be angry and offended and decided to "take away" or abolish, hide a word away... Why not show the world we have the power to change the meaning of it?! Perhaps the issue isn't the WORD itself... Or the problem... But the way everyone is handling it. I know the school is resolving to make the change... But that doesn't mean the change stops there. One can argue all day long about what side is right or wrong... what should or should not be done... But there's a few unarguable FACTS that have simply been dismissed and are quite often overlooked in maters like these: keep taking things away, we will not have much... Keep getting angry, Nobody will be happy... Keep fighting needless battles, nothing will be left.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't feel the real loss is the mascot here. It's the ability to look beyond a word and a name. We Live in a world that must have multi tonal emojis now so as to not anger anyone!? Why couldn't we just keep the day Glo orange one - NOBODY is Neon orange?!

Will your school continue to maintain contacts with the tribes now that they are no longer the Redskins, or will that be lost too?

Will your school continue to maintain contacts with the tribes now that they are no longer the Redskins, or will that be lost too?
Yes... We will also continue to purchase spirit items from them and there have been talks of having them come speak and they will continue to visit... However it was sort of "special" the connection we shared with them in what was displayed at the school. We'd like to keep some statues up, maybe some murals regardless of our name... But it's gone beyond what the local tribes feel is appropriate and frankly the school doesn't know who really deems whats appropriate anymore?! So not sure where to go from here...Sadly some of the local tribes are getting harassed too for their support of our name. Activists calling them "fake tribes"... Disloyal to their culture....Regardless of what we are called or what the identity of the school may be... I know the intent is to try to maintain as much support and communication with them as possible. Try to remain respectful and mindful of all those involved.

Maybe you could use the tribe's name (if they're okay with that), but that might be too risky.

IDK. Does anyone else have any ideas?
Funny you say this... Our whole town name originates from the Tule River... (Native American)... of a name to a local Native American tribe...this is part of the FIRST part of our school name. Our town is rich in Native American roots.. Thus why the mascot was what it was. Our principal is a registered Native American. Not sure if the school will stay in direction of Native American anything... In that although this bill is seeking to abolish "redskins"... There was some clear insinuation that they don't intend to stop there... I believe the ultimate goal is to relieve the ability to have any kind of Native American "type" mascot at all. If we spend money on uniforms, equipment and gym floors to change ourselves to say "The Chiefs"... Who's to say 5 years from now we won't have to spend another mill to change it all over again?

Funny you say this... Our whole town name originates from the Tule River... (Native American)... of a name to a local Native American tribe...this is part of the FIRST part of our school name. Our town is rich in Native American roots.. Thus why the mascot was what it was. Our principal is a registered Native American. Not sure if the school will stay in direction of Native American anything... In that although this bill is seeking to abolish "redskins"... There was some clear insinuation that they don't intend to stop there... I believe the ultimate goal is to relieve the ability to have any kind of Native American "type" mascot at all. If we spend money on uniforms, equipment and gym floors to change ourselves to say "The Chiefs"... Who's to say 5 years from now we won't have to spend another mill to change it all over again?
For a second I thought of suggesting 'Red River' (like Tulane's Green Wave), but that might sound awkward... Tules? Might sound too similar to the tribe name.

This sucks.

Could you use a symbol/character/legend that is important to the tribe as your mascot? Like if, for example, there was a legend that focused around a hawk, the mascot could be a hawk and the school could still honor the tribe while including it in its community.

So I looked up the Tule River Tribe, and they have an eagle on their seal...so what about the Tule River Eagles?

Latest posts

Back