High School Calling All Cali Coaches...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Unfortunately California might be out for NHSCC unless the Sunday no contact rule gets some kind of modification. They lumped competition cheer in with stunt last minute after many of our tryouts already took place... causing quite the mess for us. We have two squads red and gold USA and UCA so I have parents confused and upset kids crying... the whole bit. I have amazing kids this year with great hearts for what they, do thinking they tried out for one thing and feel completely cheated. Also, what does this mean for nationals? The biggest state in the country won't be attending a true national tournament. No: Mater Dei, Eldo, Oak Ridge, Santa Margharita, Los Alamitos ? The other unfortunate part our competition team often still meets and greets for a lot community service events, many of which take place on Sunday's... many of the kids double as Sideline cheerleaders- does his mean they can't attend relay for life? Or attend our annual Sunday caroling at the convalescent home with fear of violating CIF ruling? It's volunteer and in conjunction with their participation on Sideline. So confused...
This sounds like a mess! I'm eager for updates. It seems like the info isn't coming through fast enough for me.

I will never understand California's ways of doing....ANYTHING. Does your state not have anything better to do than mess with cheerleading?

If this went down in Kentucky, we would holster our poms, shoulder our megaphones, form a cheer militia, and secede from the union.

From what I hear, sideline, competition and STUNT would all be different. This makes sense because word is the sport will be spring, beginning in February for practice and competing late March to May.

Varsity is fighting hard to keep comp as it is... The money lost from camps and competitions would be huge and I'm sure they won't go down without a fight.

Why are they calling it Competitive Sport Cheer and not STUNT?

CIF approves competitive cheer standards | Valley News

So there is:
Sideline cheer
Sideline Cheer that occasionally competes
Competitive cheer
Competitive sport cheer
STUNT
??
We get it and they get it about as much as you get it... and again, many changes took place after most California schools already had tryouts so...
I get it and can appreciate the attempt at structure, I'm a structure gal myself, but I think it all just happened very quickly and needed a little bit more research.
What I gather is
You can opt to have:
Traditional Sideline (club/Non Sport)
Competitive Sport Cheer ( CIF Recognized/Sport)
STUNT the Sport, (CIF Recognized/Sport)
You can have all three, 2, or just 1, or can have a traditional Sideline squad that doubles as a competitive squad but must follow CIF guidelines for competitive cheer if they do both)
Explained; Sally made comp cheer and Sideline so sally must have a two week rest period between football cheering and competition squad (which we all know is impossible because competitions start in November right in the heart of football season).. therefore Sally would have to quit or forego football squad in order to participate in comp... also CIF has a Respite ruling of no Sunday contact, meaning no practice or competition... however if Sally is a Sideline cheerleader and has a community service event that takes place on a Sunday she is fine to attend said community service event if it is on volunteering terms however can not perform or compete thus restructuring the terms of what kids of which squads are required to do what when they attend such events. So half of the Sideline squad asked to come, say perform a rally routine for relay for life on a Sunday will have to sit out to avoid CIF infraction if you co mingle squads.
Last: the awesome thing is USA, UCA, NCA and CIF have moved all local competitions to Saturday's ...
locally, there we are good- NHSCC however is still an issue, especially for those of us that are turbo planners and ALREADY have room reservations, bus reservations and dining blocks. We were planning on attending even a day earlier than we did last year... bringing WAY more people as in spectators and alternates... and need to get a leg up- I know everything has a way of working itself out in the end and I'm confident it will, it would be a nightmare and wouldn't be ideal physically for the kids but if we had to compete 3 times on Saturday (pretty sure those poor souls who got snowed in last year were in a similar boat & went through the same thing) ... I'd be fine with it.
Ideally : I wish CIF would have expressed the changes that would be rolling out in an overall outline marked by a 3 year plan: starting with Stunt the Sport the first year, next Traditional Sideline then last Competative Cheer (giving ample transition) I also believe they should have offered educational CIF safety certification education in the interim. Stating that there are all these options for competitive cheer that now require a safety certified coach is putting the cart before the horse. Shouldn't we first encourage the education of our coaches and push for a movement to improve coaching safety standards ?
Providing a clear well thought out plan with directives for coaches, athletes and athletic directors would have been a bit better suited for the implementation of making "Cheer" a "Sport"...in turn this would give Varsity/UCA/USA/NCA a chance to make any necessary changes if need be to accommodate and take into consideration all the other states it would affect in the process and perhaps even consult with them...

We get it and they get it about as much as you get it... and again, many changes took place after most California schools already had tryouts so...
I get it and can appreciate the attempt at structure, I'm a structure gal myself, but I think it all just happened very quickly and needed a little bit more research.
What I gather is
You can opt to have:
Traditional Sideline (club/Non Sport)
Competitive Sport Cheer ( CIF Recognized/Sport)
STUNT the Sport, (CIF Recognized/Sport)
You can have all three, 2, or just 1, or can have a traditional Sideline squad that doubles as a competitive squad but must follow CIF guidelines for competitive cheer if they do both)
Explained; Sally made comp cheer and Sideline so sally must have a two week rest period between football cheering and competition squad (which we all know is impossible because competitions start in November right in the heart of football season).. therefore Sally would have to quit or forego football squad in order to participate in comp... also CIF has a Respite ruling of no Sunday contact, meaning no practice or competition... however if Sally is a Sideline cheerleader and has a community service event that takes place on a Sunday she is fine to attend said community service event if it is on volunteering terms however can not perform or compete thus restructuring the terms of what kids of which squads are required to do what when they attend such events. So half of the Sideline squad asked to come, say perform a rally routine for relay for life on a Sunday will have to sit out to avoid CIF infraction if you co mingle squads.
Last: the awesome thing is USA, UCA, NCA and CIF have moved all local competitions to Saturday's ...
locally, there we are good- NHSCC however is still an issue, especially for those of us that are turbo planners and ALREADY have room reservations, bus reservations and dining blocks. We were planning on attending even a day earlier than we did last year... bringing WAY more people as in spectators and alternates... and need to get a leg up- I know everything has a way of working itself out in the end and I'm confident it will, it would be a nightmare and wouldn't be ideal physically for the kids but if we had to compete 3 times on Saturday (pretty sure those poor souls who got snowed in last year were in a similar boat & went through the same thing) ... I'd be fine with it.
Ideally : I wish CIF would have expressed the changes that would be rolling out in an overall outline marked by a 3 year plan: starting with Stunt the Sport the first year, next Traditional Sideline then last Competative Cheer (giving ample transition) I also believe they should have offered educational CIF safety certification education in the interim. Stating that there are all these options for competitive cheer that now require a safety certified coach is putting the cart before the horse. Shouldn't we first encourage the education of our coaches and push for a movement to improve coaching safety standards ?
Providing a clear well thought out plan with directives for coaches, athletes and athletic directors would have been a bit better suited for the implementation of making "Cheer" a "Sport"...in turn this would give Varsity/UCA/USA/NCA a chance to make any necessary changes if need be to accommodate and take into consideration all the other states it would affect in the process and perhaps even consult with them...

I'm sorry, but if my kids are forced to compete three times in one day to accommodate teams from California....that's BS.

I'm sorry, but if my kids are forced to compete three times in one day to accommodate teams from California....that's BS.
No, I'm saying the California teams compete three times...on Saturday, because they "can't" compete on Sunday... and they would just have to take their Saturday scores as their "Sunday scores" ... while everyone else competed their semis and finals on Sunday... it would suck for Cali.. but it would be the only thing they could do
And I'm not even saying the California schools... I'm saying- if that was personally OUR only option- I'd take it
Absolutely, no other state should have to compete three times in one day because of one state...

Last edited:
We are having a sideline team that is essentially a club and a competitive team, no STUNT.

Many of the competitions we are going to fall on Sundays because the EP could not magically change dates at the last second. We will be asking the CIF for essentially a waiver to compete on Sunday and make Saturday our "rest" day instead for these competitions.

Like said above, the entire thing is just such a disorganized mess and being dictated by people that don't know anything about cheer. If you wanted to do this, do it right and roll this out properly-don't just dump it all on us and expect that we will be able to make changes at the drop of a hat.

No, I'm saying the California teams compete three times...on Saturday, because they "can't" compete on Sunday... and they would just have to take their Saturday scores as their "Sunday scores" ... while everyone else competed their semis and finals on Sunday... it would suck for Cali.. but it would be the only thing they could do
And I'm not even saying the California schools... I'm saying- if that was personally OUR only option- I'd take it
Absolutely, no other state should have to compete three times in one day because of one state...

Right, I get that, and my comment wasn't directed at you personally. These state athletic associations, who are generally clueless about cheer, put less thought into these arbitrary rules than they do lunch.

We are having a sideline team that is essentially a club and a competitive team, no STUNT.

Many of the competitions we are going to fall on Sundays because the EP could not magically change dates at the last second. We will be asking the CIF for essentially a waiver to compete on Sunday and make Saturday our "rest" day instead for these competitions.

Like said above, the entire thing is just such a disorganized mess and being dictated by people that don't know anything about cheer. If you wanted to do this, do it right and roll this out properly-don't just dump it all on us and expect that we will be able to make changes at the drop of a hat.

We too are just doing competition and Sideline just implemented a court side (dance program) this year.
We have no intention of adding stunt until we see how everything lays out with the changes.

Many of us NHSCC schools just asked for a one day/ one event- one time waiver for Sunday and got word of our denial yesterday. :(
Hence my Saturday talk...

We too are just doing competition and Sideline just implemented a court side (dance program) this year.
We have no intention of adding stunt until we see how everything lays out with the changes.

Many of us NHSCC schools just asked for a one day/ one event- one time waiver for Sunday and got word of our denial yesterday. :(
Hence my Saturday talk...

Greatttttt... I got the impression it would be no big deal to get the waiver for a Sunday and planned our schedule around it. Thankfully Nationals is not a worry, but a lot of the regionals are.

Did it come from your local CIF chapter?

This is a hot mess. Why couldn't they consult someone who has a solid understanding of cheerleading? This isn't what I pictured when they announced the sport ruling years back (forgot that it had been announced in advance. Ignore me and my goldfish brain).

Huh?

Last edited:
Back