All-Star Candy Loading Before Competing.....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

my team sometimes has pixie sticks before bigger competitions and i dont really mind it, sugar doesnt really affect me. I think its more of a tradition thing then for energy!

i think there more for excitement and tradition rather than actually working. i don't think one pixi stick is going to really wake you up, it's more of a pump up type thing. does this make sense at all? hah

We used to eat pixi stix before competing. I would only have one but some people would eat like 12 or more. We always did great though.

IMO candy, fruit, gatorade are nutritional decisions

Energy drinks contain the same caffein as 1-3 cups of coffee, plus many include herbal supplements, guarana (a source of caffeine), and taurine (an amino acid thought to enhance performance).

There are lots of health websites that suggest they are VERY bad for kids, especially if they are going to participate in high-intensity activity. In NC kids as young as 12 have had heart attacks drinking red bulls and playing soccer. They are now banned from playing fields and kids won't be allowed to participate if they are seen with one.

My friend's 9 year old son plays pee wee football and his mother gives him a Monster energy drink during the game to "hype him up". The 1st time she told be I was shocked, she didn't think it was that big of a deal and said they actually have filled their water bottles with it when the team was losing. In that case I think I'll take the pixie stick!

i think there more for excitement and tradition rather than actually working. i don't think one pixi stick is going to really wake you up hah
Yes, I don't think it gave us energy...We just thought it did haha so it got us all pumped up and ready to compete. And it was a tradition. At competitions we always looked forward to having our pixi stix before we go on the floor. :)

i think that if you have a few of them there can def be a noticeable amount of energy on the floor.... just be glad your teammates are having shots of sugar and not anything else.

i think there more for excitement and tradition rather than actually working. i don't think one pixi stick is going to really wake you up, it's more of a pump up type thing. does this make sense at all? hah

I think since we were starving and our bodies were living off of oxygen and fat stores (we couldn't leave our primo seats to get food) the sugar definitely worked. We did have about 4 each though.

i rememberr at like 11? 12 years old? my team was given pixie sticks and candy before performing... dont really remember the outcome of it.... i should do this more ofter then...

This thread reminds me of that scary TLC pageant show.... The moms referred to pixie sticks as the "crack of pageants".

hahahahaha! That's what I was going to say. I was sooooo horrified when I opened this thread--I spend half my life telling people cheerleading/cheer moms are NOTHING like that! All I keep hearing in my head while I'm reading this is that HORRIBLE grandmother saying (in her overly hyper, bug-eyed, head bobbling way) "NEED SOME SUGAR?????? NEED SOME MORE SUGAR???" My kids and I make fun of her on a daily basis. What a train wreck she was...
eek.png

I think a lot of teams do the pixie stick thing for tradition, not energy. Back when I was on juniors our coaches handed us a spree in one of our teams colors, we held it in our hand, prayed, broke, and then ate it before we went on. I think it's just something cute and fun to unite the team. Plus, maybe it's because I'm older, but 1 pixie stick doesn't do anything for me energy wise.

Latest posts

Back