All-Star Candy Loading Before Competing.....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

slightly off topic but since we're talking about pixie sticks...has anyone had that one picture where the girl/guy had a blue pixie stick and the photographer got a picture where you can see their blue tongue? this happened to one of my teammates in 08. it made me laugh and cringe at the same time.

i could never eat pixi sticks before competing, i always bring a bunch of fruit cups for a natural sugar that sticks with me alot longer and is a lot healthier. and pixi sticks dont do anything for me in terms of energy and neither do energy drinks. i actually fell asleep while drinking an energy drink once

slightly off topic but since we're talking about pixie sticks...has anyone had that one picture where the girl/guy had a blue pixie stick and the photographer got a picture where you can see their blue tongue? this happened to one of my teammates in 08. it made me laugh and cringe at the same time.

At Worlds my cousin ate like 3 blue pixie sticks before she competed and her mouth is blue in all the pictures. It was so funny! That being said, my cousin, like many junior aged and younger cheerleaders, is a complete mental case. She literally thinks that if she doesn't have pixie sticks the team will fail and it'll be all her fault. Of course it won't be all her fault, everyone has off days and no amount of sugar will change that. But are pixie sticks/candy treats before competing not the same thing as keeping a "motivational word" on your shoe or wearing a pair of lucky socks or spankies or sports bra under your uniform? Except it is a processed sugar treat stored in your tummy! :) Everyone has their traditions and if that happens to be pixie sticks then let it be!

i get super dizzy if i eat sugar before i compete, always have since i was little. i cant even eat pancakes for breakfast the day of a competition. it has something to do with my metabolism or something... idk.
but before every competition i drink at least 2 bottles of either cranberry juice or orange juice and it gets me through the routine and what i need to do.

I know many teams that have traditions of pixie sticks before competing in warm ups, some do redbull shots, and some prefer to go the healthier route and eat bananas or fruit; I've seen a wide range. Personally, I am not the type of person who gets sugar rushes or all "hyped" up after an energy drink so I don't really see the point. However, it seems more like a tradition to me than anything else; possibly even a superstition for some teams. SO if its just a one pixie stick I don't think it will kill them if they have the idea that the pixie stick will really help them win so be it. Now if they are dumping 5 or 10 down before, that's just not healthy and you would think might even make them sick after performing. I guess I would not be able to say ney or yay without more specific information individualized to each teams "load".

agree with the superstition my cp is very superstitious with cheer and she believes that whenever she is at a comp before she competes she has to have a strawberry ring pop so ofcourse i am stocked up on them and thankful that she didnt pick a flavor that would turn her tongue blue or green for the performance

my teams used to do the whole pixie stick thing but the problem is if you have them and the competition is running late we would all get on a sugar high then find out the competition is delayed in crash before we competed also its just not healthy some people get way to carried away with it and will have like 10 pixie sticks thats a bit much i think. have something healthy way better way to stay energizedd

with my team we have a girl who passes out so we give her smarties. but shes on a senior team and she needs it.
I think that its the coaches call and if they want all their girls running around being sugar crazy let them. its their responsibility! :)

I say everything in moderation, if a small pixie stik helps..why not! some warms up go for 20 - 30 minutes before you even hit the mats, a little pick me up may be in order. I absolutely dont think anyone should ever be forced or made to take one if they choose to pass on the experience. If possible the natural options should always be selected and encouraged..

i drink double shot espressos from starbucks before every competition
not the healthiest but it does the trick for me!

My CP had to have Starbucks before every competition, Gingerbread latte in the cold weather and Caramel Frappe's in the warm weather.

Back