Can't Do Running Tumbling

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 2, 2018
I can do standing backhandsprings and standing tucks fine but freeze when I do a roundoff. I'm so frustrated because two weeks ago I could do running tuck and powerhurdle tuck, but now I can't do any of it.
When I'm doing running tumbling I feel like my roundoff is too messy and loose to tumble out of. I feel like the roundoff gives too much power even though I know that if I actually threw the skill it would be fine.
I'm pretty sure I have a mental block, but it's just frustrating because I feel like I'm going backwards in my tumbling (in progress not physically).
Any help would be very appreciated.

Hi! I’ve been injured a few times and whenever I start tumbling again I feel like my roundoffs are sloppy and I freak myself out about going in to a skill too. My tumbling coach always had me back track a little bit and just work on roundoff sets a couple times and when I remember how to do that I’m able to throw skills just fine. Roundoffs are kinda tricky because they set up the entire pass, so don’t be ashamed of going back and cleaning them up and getting that muscle memory working again. Pretty soon you won’t even think about them!

Hi! I’ve been injured a few times and whenever I start tumbling again I feel like my roundoffs are sloppy and I freak myself out about going in to a skill too. My tumbling coach always had me back track a little bit and just work on roundoff sets a couple times and when I remember how to do that I’m able to throw skills just fine. Roundoffs are kinda tricky because they set up the entire pass, so don’t be ashamed of going back and cleaning them up and getting that muscle memory working again. Pretty soon you won’t even think about them!

I'm coming out of a nasty knee injury and getting back into tumbling after several years. I have an extremely nonchalant coach (other gyms wouldn't take me because of my age) and I don't want to practice bad habits.
My roundoffs used to be very powerful, but now I don't always keep my legs together and they are sloppy, so I can't progress further.
Any suggestions?

Back