Can't Pull My Scorpion! Help!?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 15, 2012
I can get my scorpion almost a straight leg with someone pushing it up first but I can't pull it up even to a dorito scorpion on my own. I think it's my shoulder flexibility but ive been stretching that for a long time with no improvements in pulling it. so should I hold my foot a different way when I go up to pull or do I have to be more flexible?

I can't link it on my phone but there is a thread called "Scorpion Stretches?!" it's also listed in the skills forum so it may be easy to find and I think a few people replied to that.
My daughter had a similar problem, someone could stretch her leg for her and it would be decent but she couldn't pull it up and even grab it with both hands till later in the season...
Here is what I posted in the other thread about it but i bet you would get more answers if you checked there. Good luck!
This is kind of random but this is something that may help you.

My daughter could pull all her stretches just fine but her scorpion. She could go all the way down in her splits but she could only get her leg half way up and it would rotate out to the side therefore she couldn't pull it at all.
Here is a screenshot I took from a video of the 1st competition this year.
My daughter is the flyer on the left.
4434bad5-ccec-2313.jpg

She couldn't do it no matter how flexible she was.
So one day a mini mom was sitting in there while my daughters youth team was practicing and I told her and showed her what my daughter was doing. She said oh you can fix that easily. I said please let me know because me and the coaches have been working all season.
She said you need to work hip openers. She showed me a stretch to do. (this woman is really in to yoga)

You sit down kind of like Indian style put one leg on top of the other like this
4434bad5-cf77-91b7.jpg

You probably can't do it like this without practice, but just push and push your legs down till there on top of each other. My daughter cried at first and just hold it then switch.

No joke we did that on and off for like 10 mins. The next day my daughter could pull her scorpion and grab with both hands. So we keep doing it and it keeps getting better.
Here it is now:
4434bad5-d02e-31df.jpg

It isn't perfect but one day it will be. Just keep working and hope this helps!

I can get my scorpion almost a straight leg with someone pushing it up first but I can't pull it up even to a dorito scorpion on my own. I think it's my shoulder flexibility but ive been stretching that for a long time with no improvements in pulling it. so should I hold my foot a different way when I go up to pull or do I have to be more flexible?
Your flexibility is always going to be key. Are you sitting in splits? Are you working back flexibility as well? I teach my fliers to work on their back flexibility as well as split flexibility because they pull their scorpions by catching their foot at the top. While most fliers don't pull that way, it works for my team. My fliers will sit in splits while they're at home and also work on lower back flexbility. Good luck!

I can't link it on my phone but there is a thread called "Scorpion Stretches?!" it's also listed in the skills forum so it may be easy to find and I think a few people replied to that.
My daughter had a similar problem, someone could stretch her leg for her and it would be decent but she couldn't pull it up and even grab it with both hands till later in the season...
Here is what I posted in the other thread about it but i bet you would get more answers if you checked there. Good luck!
I just read this post and thread before I posted this hahah but I really can't sit in that yoga pose because i have knee problems that are still getting better.
Mandi Spina yes I sit in splits but I'll try to get my back more flexible
Thanks!

I just read this post and thread before I posted this hahah but I really can't sit in that yoga pose because i have knee problems that are still getting better.
Mandi Spina yes I sit in splits but I'll try to get my back more flexible
Thanks!

I'm sorry, I wouldn't think of that but I bet it would be a little painful if you had knee problems. Hopefully someone comes up with something good that's able to help you. Good luck!!

I'm sorry, I wouldn't think of that but I bet it would be a little painful if you had knee problems. Hopefully someone comes up with something good that's able to help you. Good luck!!
Thanks! I'll just try to stretch my back a little more!

I have a video on my tumblr (hairwhips-and-flips.tumblr) check it out, ive been told by people that it really helped a lot:)

lots of bridges. Get your legs together in the bridge, lock out your knees and push through your shoulders. Once you are able to do that comfortably, do a bridge and go down on your elbows.

If you have your splits all the way down, try the Gabi method on the doorframe! I find it works wonderss for flexibility but also for technique!

Wow that is one stretch I have never seen before for scorpions lol! That's awesome and I can't wait to try it!

lots of bridges. Get your legs together in the bridge, lock out your knees and push through your shoulders. Once you are able to do that comfortably, do a bridge and go down on your elbows.
This is the same stretch we use. Shoulder flexibility is key

It sounds like the issue is your back flexibilty rather than quads... can you pull it up yourself with a strap around your ankle?
I did three things to work on my back flexibility:
Try going into a bridge (straight legs), then focus on getting your chest over your hands (maybe try against a wall so you've got something to push into, not sure if this might work).
Also bridge, then try to walk your hands and feet together (I know it's terrible bridge technique for a bridge but quite good for getting a bendy back.
Then whenever I was watching TV, or sitting around talking, lie down on your front and push your chest up off the floor with your hands, so your hips stay on the floor but your stomach is at a right angle to it. Really think about bringing your chest up rather than just tipping your head back- although tipping your head feels like you're going further, it's better to try to keep your chest up.
Hope this helped! Let me know how it goes :)

the hip thing I think is my daughters problem. we will have to try that. her scorpions arent horrible but she is so flexible in her back, shoulders and legs and couldnt figure out why, like you said, it was like pulling to the side or something. i will have her try that

Back