High School Captain Issues.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 27, 2013
On my squad, there are only a few seniors, including me.
However, over half of the squad is jrs. And they practically run the show.
My coach is having us apply for captain. She told me I probably wouldn't get captain since I already got the (only) crossover spot. She wants someone else to get the captains' honor. And idk if the other seniors are gonna run.
However, many of these jrs. are running. Like, I'm worried that all of the captains are going to be juniors and take over our senior year. Some of them are really qualified, and I wouldn't sneeze about it if one of them got it this year, or if they got it their senior year. But some of the girls that are the most desperate for captain are also the worst, imo. A couple of them are big parties, and it's almost shocking they haven't gotten in trouble yet. And their hearts aren't really into it; they just want the title. Also, in the past, the captains have gotten into the most trouble. I don't want to be lumped into that. And I don't want to be captains with said girls. I mean, its ultimately my coach's choice but... still. I know I have the leadership, but I don't think I want that "captain" title. I want a truly qualified girl to have it. (It's based on experience and character, not who-can-throw-this-fancy-trick or who-has-this-kind-of-stunt-nailed).
So this turned more into a rant than anything.
What I'm guessing is... how can I stay a leader and a positive role model to the team if all junior captains are chosen, especially these not-so-great ones?

On my squad, there are only a few seniors, including me.
However, over half of the squad is jrs. And they practically run the show.
My coach is having us apply for captain. She told me I probably wouldn't get captain since I already got the (only) crossover spot. She wants someone else to get the captains' honor. And idk if the other seniors are gonna run.
However, many of these jrs. are running. Like, I'm worried that all of the captains are going to be juniors and take over our senior year. Some of them are really qualified, and I wouldn't sneeze about it if one of them got it this year, or if they got it their senior year. But some of the girls that are the most desperate for captain are also the worst, imo. A couple of them are big parties, and it's almost shocking they haven't gotten in trouble yet. And their hearts aren't really into it; they just want the title. Also, in the past, the captains have gotten into the most trouble. I don't want to be lumped into that. And I don't want to be captains with said girls. I mean, its ultimately my coach's choice but... still. I know I have the leadership, but I don't think I want that "captain" title. I want a truly qualified girl to have it. (It's based on experience and character, not who-can-throw-this-fancy-trick or who-has-this-kind-of-stunt-nailed).
So this turned more into a rant than anything.
What I'm guessing is... how can I stay a leader and a positive role model to the team if all junior captains are chosen, especially these not-so-great ones?

On my daughters high school team to be a captain of the varsity squad, you have to be a senior. I find it rather strange that a junior with less experience on the team can be captain over a senior whom has had one more year of experience.

To answer your question, in my opinion, you can't stay a leader after the new captains are chosen. I believe that a team is most successful when lead by one elected person. Therefore I feel as if only the captain should be the leader of the squad. (If that makes since :/).

BUT, you can always be a positive role model. As a senior it is your duty to motivate the rest of your squad!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

There's 3-4 captains, and you need to have been on the squad for at least a year. So while usually most, if not all, of the captains are seniors, this year could be different...

Back