High School Captains And Co Captains

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 27, 2016
What do you think is the best way to select captains and co captains? On my daughters team, the team voted, which of course ended up to be a popularity contest. In addition to that, the coaches daughter was selected to the captain position. Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest? Just courious of anyone else's thoughts on this.

What do you think is the best way to select captains and co captains? On my daughters team, the team voted, which of course ended up to be a popularity contest. In addition to that, the coaches daughter was selected to the captain position. Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest? Just courious of anyone else's thoughts on this.

What I done this year was made each girl trying for those positions explain to me privately why they wanted to be captain or co-captain. They had to tell the squad and run a practice before a vote was done. It helped me to see leadership skills as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are holding a leadership class starting this week for anyone on the team.

Those who excel will be eligible to participate in a Captain's and Coach's seminar which is a DVD seminar (because I can't afford to transport them to the live even).

We are going to ask the team for input on who they think would be good leaders, but haven't decided if any actual captains will come out of this. So far, my group of seniors this year are doing a great job of handling situations with my guidance the right way.

One thing I don't like about having "captain" and "cocaptain" is that I feel like we are a better team with about 50-60% or our team taking on the attitude of true leaders

Cp's HS team allows any senior who is interested to submit an essay to the coach on why they feel they would be good for the position. The coach has final say. The captains though really don't do all that much, and probably would benefit from some type of leadership class.

I know at my daughter's school, there is a criterion 1st- being upperclassmen (Seniors-Captains, Juniors-Co-Captains); 2nd- the number of yrs on the squad and she was not sure, but skill levels and then they are all nominated first by the coaches and I believe my daughter said that then a 2nd process occurs, like maybe these girls must demonstrate their ability to lead the squad and then the coaches choose the Captains and Co-Captains from the group nominated...
However,
Right now, this is how its been done, but last season, many of the Captains and Co-Captains needed help, especially from the many underclassmen that had more AS cheer experienced and the coaches lean more on the ex-AS cheerleaders by putting more tumbling and stunting in the routines, so maybe there might be some changes next season...

I do not have captains.

Too many power trips.

I've seen some schools at which captains:

*lead practice
*choose practice wear
*choose what campwear is ordered.
*determine who is benched.

Why would you give kids that much control? I make all decisions.

As far as leadership, I except everyone on my team who is not a rookie to act as a leader and encourage/help as needed.

I do not have captains.

Too many power trips.

*lead practice
*choose practice wear

As far as leadership, I except everyone on my team who is not a rookie to act as a leader and encourage/help as needed.

Who in their right minds would let high school athletes choose who is benched??? That is insanity.

Our coaches picked out our camp wear and our practice wear, to the best of my knowledge nobody else really had any say in it. Our captains would call out cheers for games, and choose our timeout/quarter performances (basically just a cheer with a stunt/pyramid/or tumbling in it, nothing fancy). I think they also got to create our courtwarming routine, but I think that was all of the seniors, not just captains. Same with our state rings, seniors got to design them. Our coaches just gave them a price limit so that people would actually be able to afford them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love this! I totally agree! As I said before, the team voted, as a result it was a popularity contest. The coach counted the ballots and of course her daughter was choosen as captian. I know the coaches daughter has choosen the practice wear, camp wear and uniforms as she has told us at parent meetings. The amount of practice wear and other items is quite excessive and the cost is nearly $3000. This not including the cost of competitions or travel. Soley uniforms and accessories.

When I was in high school, we didn't have teams based off skill (this has changed now) but it was based on age. So on JV, the returning girls as sophomores were eligible to be captain/co-captain. If those girls wanted to be captain, they had to submit a letter on why they wanted to be captain. Then the coaches asked everyone to write on paper who they would want to be captain/co-captain out of those choices but I'll be honest, I didn't think that was much of a deciding force on captain/co-captain. The same process was for varsity as well at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not have captains.

Too many power trips.

*lead practice
*choose practice wear

That last one could end so badly. Like, if Ashley was point flyer last year but was moved to basing because Amanda was deemed to be a better fit, she can bench her can get 'her' spot back.

Drama.

I do not have captains.

Too many power trips.

*lead practice
*choose practice wear

No way do I give ANY of my kids that much power. We do have captains though, but only because I feel like it is an opportunity to enhance leadership skills. And honestly, I know that I personally used it on college applications, etc, so I feel like I can pay that opportunity forward.

Basically, my captains lead warm ups/stretching and are expected to lead by example in pretty much everything we do. Anyone can start chants on the sideline, so that isn't a captain responsibility, but they are the ones I will speak to if there is too much down time on the sideline.

I hate captains. I had them for school tradition, leading cheers, being a check point for me so fro example, game day what shirt was decided to let me know what they picked or be my quick relay info touch point, but otherwise, there was really no "power". This past season, my team had this perception they had more power, and I think it was a combo of jealousy and just a loud mouth who never was happy with anything.

With that being said, I don't allow them to vote, but I do allow them to give input. So the ultimate choice is the coaches, but we will talk to returners and ask who they think would be a good leader and why. In addition, any athlete with interest to be a captain needs to answer questions on why they would be a good captain. It is a group effort but I was going to actually not have captains this year, then I left :) Someone elses problem...

This is the rubric for captain tryouts at my daughter's high school. Only incoming seniors can make captain/co-captain and they had to be on the Varsity squad the year before. Only juniors and seniors can make Varsity. My oldest was captain and my youngest just made co-captain, even though she was captain of the JV squad.
Each candidate will be judged by the following criteria:

1. Teacher Evaluation (20%)
2. Captain Portfolio (20%) - which is a very extensive portfolio where they have to create a pep rally routine.
3. Panel Interview (20%) - consists of 3 administrators from the district.
4. Tryout Score (20%)
5. Coaches Evaluation (20%)

This is the rubric for captain tryouts at my daughter's high school. Only incoming seniors can make captain/co-captain and they had to be on the Varsity squad the year before. Only juniors and seniors can make Varsity. My oldest was captain and my youngest just made co-captain, even though she was captain of the JV squad.
Each candidate will be judged by the following criteria:

1. Teacher Evaluation (20%)
2. Captain Portfolio (20%) - which is a very extensive portfolio where they have to create a pep rally routine.
3. Panel Interview (20%) - consists of 3 administrators from the district.
4. Tryout Score (20%)
5. Coaches Evaluation (20%)

My god, I had an easier time getting my first mortgage.

I know as an athlete I ran on the idea that I was my own captain because some girls on my team tried the authoritarian approach. I know as a teenager/young adult taking 'orders' by a peer never sat well for me, especially when they thought they had a say on punishments, or whatever.

Funny, when we voted for captains, people typically go for the meaner girls to be captain. So many think leadership is who is the scariest. Prob why I never was voted captain lol

My later years of HS, the captains started practice when our coach ran late. We'd stretch as a team and typically she would be there by the time we finished up. But more than anything we were in-school liaisons. I was the one who worked with admin and student groups for performances and pep rallies. One was in charge of making sure people knew material. One was coach's proxy. She gave orders from the coach's mouth just so she wouldn't have to send a billion emails, or deal with tons of texts from people asking questions. Like I've said, my coach was more of a mother figure, so it was not uncommon for us to text/call her individually.

Back