Casts/splints New Rules

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

MomMomMamaMom

Cheer Parent
Mar 30, 2012
I haven't ever been a fan of kids going out on the floor with casts or hard braces, because I can't imagine it's safe for the person wearing it, or anyone who might come in contact with it. I thought the new USASF general rules addressed it, but in reading the actual rule it isn't overly clear. Just what is allowed? What about splints? I have read the text of the rule, but don't really get it. An unaltered brace could be hard or soft.... And I guess I think of metal as not soft, lol.

I haven't ever been a fan of kids going out on the floor with casts or hard braces, because I can't imagine it's safe for the person wearing it, or anyone who might come in contact with it. I thought the new USASF general rules addressed it, but in reading the actual rule it isn't overly clear. Just what is allowed? What about splints? I have read the text of the rule, but don't really get it. An unaltered brace could be hard or soft.... And I guess I think of metal as not soft, lol.
http://usasf.net.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/2013 Website/Safety/docs/USASF_Cheer_Rules_15-17.pdf

I see what you mean. As per the text, technically if brace is unaltered it doesn't need to be padded but it doesn't specific hard versus soft, metal versus nonmetal. And what constitutes an alteration? Would a simple additional piece of velcro for example fall into that category?

Back