High School Cataloging And Organizing Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 10, 2015
Just curious what kind of system you use to track uniforms.

We have 3 uniforms, and 4 different bodyliners which we mix and match to create 5 different sets.

This has been the worst year of my career as far as having kids with missing pieces, and ordering parts, etc. The school didn’t have a good system in place when I took over the program, and I’ve just maintained the status quo despite the struggles.

Now I’m spending too much money on this. How do you keep up with your uniforms?

I had an issue with this my first year and have become a complete demon in following years to make sure it never happens again. Here's a brief rundown of what I do, and I've had exactly zero issues since I started. You've potentially done most of these things already, but I'll list out everything to be safe. I use Google Sheets to keep track of everything but know people use Excel or other programs instead.

1. I get all of the uniforms and put them in piles based off of what they are, then come up with a very specific name for them. I avoid terms like 'JV top' or 'Varsity skirt' because it may switch up year to year. A couple of examples are "GTM green shell, black side bands, 'YHS Roughriders' in white/black sparkle" or "REBEL skirt, dark green with black panel, white piping and "Riders". The more specific the better. I have a spreadsheet with every uniform name as well as how many of each size I have of that particular item, and the abbreviation I'll use for them moving forward (this is just to make it fit nice and neat in my passed out sheet)

2. Once I have all that information, I assign each uniform piece a number and write in in sharpie on the tag as well as somewhere inconspicuous on the fabric itself (usually the inside of the back of the neck). This means that even if the tag gets ripped off, the number is still on the piece itself so it cannot be confused. I do this for each uniform piece, and I always start with my smallest size as a 1 up until my largest size, which will be the same as the total number of that uniform piece that I have. I then document all of this on that Uniform spreadsheet that I mentioned above.

3. Now that everything is labelled and put into a spreadsheet, I make a separate spreadsheet for what I call the "pass out numbers". Before I give the kids their uniforms, I get them and their parents to sign a paper that basically says "the number uniform that is assigned to me is the one I'm responsible for, if that uniform is damaged, whether by me or another individual, I am the one who will be charged". This will generally get them pretty on top of making sure they always have their uniform and not somebody else's after they change out, so that they won't swap uniforms on accident. I also have them double check their numbers every couple of months just to make sure.

4. Any uniforms I'm not using I store in number order in a box with a printed off version of the spreadsheet that has the corresponding numbers to the sizes on it. This just helps me if I choose to use them in the future.

5. At the end of the season when they return the uniforms I inspect them and then store them back in number order. If any are damaged, I don't even look at which girl handed it to me, I just look at the spreadsheet to see who was responsible for it and apply the charge to their account. Haven't had this happen yet where it didn't match up, but hopefully their signed paper would help me be able to fight for the charge. I've only had three charges in my time though so it isn't a frequent issue.

Hopefully I explained that at least semi decently? I love spreadsheets and color coordination so I can go a little bit crazy with everything, but it definitely helps in the long run. Just takes a while to get everything set up - especially if your uniforms aren't already numbered.

I use a similar system to above posters. Each uniform is labeled in sharpie with numbers, usually by size, when we get new unis. Every uniform that is handed out is recorded by each athlete. I need that piece back at the end of the season, or they pay for a replacement. I've only needed 1 skirt replaced at the end of a season in 15 years, cos an athlete lost it.

In the past, my school has also charged a deposit fee of $200, post dated cheque to the end of the season. If the uniform is returned in good condition, the cheque is returned to the parents. If not, the cheque is cashed and a new uniform is purchased

I had an issue with this my first year and have become a complete demon in following years to make sure it never happens again. Here's a brief rundown of what I do, and I've had exactly zero issues since I started. You've potentially done most of these things already, but I'll list out everything to be safe. I use Google Sheets to keep track of everything but know people use Excel or other programs instead.

1. I get all of the uniforms and put them in piles based off of what they are, then come up with a very specific name for them. I avoid terms like 'JV top' or 'Varsity skirt' because it may switch up year to year. A couple of examples are "GTM green shell, black side bands, 'YHS Roughriders' in white/black sparkle" or "REBEL skirt, dark green with black panel, white piping and "Riders". The more specific the better. I have a spreadsheet with every uniform name as well as how many of each size I have of that particular item, and the abbreviation I'll use for them moving forward (this is just to make it fit nice and neat in my passed out sheet)

2. Once I have all that information, I assign each uniform piece a number and write in in sharpie on the tag as well as somewhere inconspicuous on the fabric itself (usually the inside of the back of the neck). This means that even if the tag gets ripped off, the number is still on the piece itself so it cannot be confused. I do this for each uniform piece, and I always start with my smallest size as a 1 up until my largest size, which will be the same as the total number of that uniform piece that I have. I then document all of this on that Uniform spreadsheet that I mentioned above.

3. Now that everything is labelled and put into a spreadsheet, I make a separate spreadsheet for what I call the "pass out numbers". Before I give the kids their uniforms, I get them and their parents to sign a paper that basically says "the number uniform that is assigned to me is the one I'm responsible for, if that uniform is damaged, whether by me or another individual, I am the one who will be charged". This will generally get them pretty on top of making sure they always have their uniform and not somebody else's after they change out, so that they won't swap uniforms on accident. I also have them double check their numbers every couple of months just to make sure.

4. Any uniforms I'm not using I store in number order in a box with a printed off version of the spreadsheet that has the corresponding numbers to the sizes on it. This just helps me if I choose to use them in the future.

5. At the end of the season when they return the uniforms I inspect them and then store them back in number order. If any are damaged, I don't even look at which girl handed it to me, I just look at the spreadsheet to see who was responsible for it and apply the charge to their account. Haven't had this happen yet where it didn't match up, but hopefully their signed paper would help me be able to fight for the charge. I've only had three charges in my time though so it isn't a frequent issue.

Hopefully I explained that at least semi decently? I love spreadsheets and color coordination so I can go a little bit crazy with everything, but it definitely helps in the long run. Just takes a while to get everything set up - especially if your uniforms aren't already numbered.
I use a similar system to above posters. Each uniform is labeled in sharpie with numbers, usually by size, when we get new unis. Every uniform that is handed out is recorded by each athlete. I need that piece back at the end of the season, or they pay for a replacement. I've only needed 1 skirt replaced at the end of a season in 15 years, cos an athlete lost it.

In the past, my school has also charged a deposit fee of $200, post dated cheque to the end of the season. If the uniform is returned in good condition, the cheque is returned to the parents. If not, the cheque is cashed and a new uniform is purchased

Thank you both

Do you have uniforms that are altered?

We have some that have been altered in the past, all of them from before my time (some of our uniforms are 10+ years old).

I wonder, is it typical for people to be refunded their unused uniform deposit? Or do programs often treat it like an insurance payment and keep it, e.g. Tiffany gets a uniform from the program's collection and so she doesn't pay for it, but she has to make a payment to cover possible damage or loss that she won't get back at the end of the season even if the uniform remains intact? (Might sound like a dumb question but I'm not a coach.)

@Official OWECheer We didn’t have any alterations done to units, other than tacking the back of a skirt to make it smaller on occasion. I did that myself and just undo them at the end of the season.

I’ve never had to keep a cheque. Uniforms cost just over $200 anyway, so there wasn’t a lot of savings. I also don’t hand out their year end gifts until I have their uniform back, so they tend to show up quickly. Also, in some years, I’ve actually collected uniforms in giant garbage bags at the end of the last competition, if I was worried about them not coming back. Like I said, I’ve only lost 1 skirt in 15 years, and she lost it on an out of town competition trip. I think she left it at the hotel, but them never did find it

Thank you both

Do you have uniforms that are altered?

We have some that have been altered in the past, all of them from before my time (some of our uniforms are 10+ years old).

I have the same issue with the ones from before my time being altered. When I numbered them I sort of eyeballed the altered ones to guess on what the altered size is, but unfortunately I have no other advice besides that for older uniforms.

With the uniforms I've purchased, I tell the kids very clearly "this belongs to the school and therefore under no circumstance is it to be altered. If you want one that fits perfectly, you have the option to purchase one yourself". This has been effective since I've come, and I do get the occasional kid who will just purchase the uniform to ensure they get the proper size (sometimes kids get sizes a little too big because I run out of smaller sizes), but most parents understand that these uniforms aren't theirs to mess with.

Yep, create your own 'sku' type number system. Then enter on a google sheet or excel.

Make a master of what sku = what uni piece and size
Then make a roster sheet with coordinating sku's entered for each kid's rental of that piece.

We do a uniform rental and maintenance fee each year. This helps fill the missing gaps and needs for new/replacement pieces as some wear out. In our team contract it says missing/lost pieces must be paid for by the athlete who it belongs to, regardless of who borrowed it or used it last.

We are completely allowed to alter uniforms year to year- because passing out uniforms is always a mess and nobody really ends up with what would be the best uniform for them. I've had to alter 2/3 of my uniforms every year so far that I've cheered in high school. Some of them this year were really bad, and I wish we had a better system so people didn't have to pay to get stuff altered but that's just the way it is for us. When they are passed out, you try on a couple of a general size because they've been altered and one might fit better.

So, a little off track but related. Did the parents fundraise for the initial uniforms and then just know they'd be kept by the school or did your school front the money?

We have parents buy the uniforms and keep them. If someone doesn't have the money, our fundraising group buys it and keeps it, hoping to resell the next year. We do two year cycles. If I told parents we would be fundraising for uniforms for us to keep and pass on each year, I think they would all have a fit...

So, a little off track but related. Did the parents fundraise for the initial uniforms and then just know they'd be kept by the school or did your school front the money?

We have parents buy the uniforms and keep them. If someone doesn't have the money, our fundraising group buys it and keeps it, hoping to resell the next year. We do two year cycles. If I told parents we would be fundraising for uniforms for us to keep and pass on each year, I think they would all have a fit...
We do that, but the fundraising is a wide coverage of expenses/savings: nationals trip, new unis, new mats, general squad fund to lower all costs for all families, 'scholarships' for families that cannot afford cheer.

We also do the uni rental fee ($100/year) to cover maintenance and replacements, and cleaning for the program owned unis. We have 6 for varsity, 4 for jv, but only use 2-3 per team. Gives us flexibility on theme days (blackout), throwbacks, and backfilling pieces (purple skirts usually look alike for the most part). Plus, the fee collects $3500 which can boost the uniform fundraising bucket level a bit too.

Ours are purchased and thus owned by the school.

Pluses: we don’t fundraise for them.

Cons: we are at the school athletic budget committee’s mercy on how often we can get new.

What is your programs definition of a fundraiser though? For my niece—-they host a kiddie camp, seek sponsors and host a competition. Nobody is out selling gift wrap or cookie dough. Last year parents were given a break down of each account. No child pays for anything (shoes, bag, camp wear, choreography, music, warmups etc .....literally nothing comes out of pocket for JV or Varsity). The “fundraising” in the past has been used for uniforms (this year or next the school is buying new game uniforms) and the uniforms stay at the school. The only point of contention is from JV who constantly gets uniforms passed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our uniforms are fundraised by the kids. The school chipped in to top off what we were short 1 year (about $1200 on top of the over $10 000 we had raised). We do 1 fundraiser each year, and all that money goes into the uniform pool, so we generally have enough to get new unis every 5 years or so without having to do more fundraising.

As a side note, the school has paid for new volleyball, basketball, soccer, track and softball uniforms (some junior and senior teams, men's and women's) for a total of 15 different sets of sports team uniforms over the last 9 years and I had to beg for the $1200 to avoid going into debt that year. Those teams did no fundraising whatsoever.

Back