Catastrophic

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
Found this article this morning while the horrible thunderstorm in the north east woke me up! :mad:

I'm pretty irate at this article....
few points and opinions.
"Right now, cheerleading is out of control," said Dr. Frederick Mueller, director of the National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury Research at the University of North Carolina. "Kids are practicing all over the place without mats. They practice when they want to, do what they want to, and some coaches aren't certified and don't know what they're doing."
It's out of control!? no. at high schools if the kids are not practicing on mats then the athletic department should get involved and stop it, or fundraise to purchase the mats.
If some of the coaches are NOT certified wouldn't you think that's the school systems fault for not looking into it and having the coach present a form of certification of coaching? common sense ya'll.
i have so much more to say about this article, but i can't find the words.... why so negative?

The Surprising Most Dangerous Sports for Kids | Team Mom - Yahoo! Shine

A lot of people practice on grass (high school, warming up outside of a competition, etc.). At worlds we actually warmed up 2 1/2 high pyramids on the cement since the grass was wet (one at a time with lots of spots, of course).

I just read the article and I don't really think it's that negative. It's true, a lot of coaches aren't certified, especially in high school. They don't get support from their schools, access to trainers, etc. If they're practicing when they want to and doing whatever they want (which you're right, is exaggerated), then it's because they're not being given the same access to facilities as other teams.

Back