All-Star Chasing The Ring

• Thread starter Deleted member 11300
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If i found myself at a gym which didn't have a strong worlds team or one thst was choosing teams based upon reasons other than talent, I'd certainly relocate to a program which could allow my children to maximize their potential. Regardless of location, cost or popular opinion. I'd move anywhere for my child to find a group who appreciates her love of this sport.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I couldn't personally do it. I couldn't mentally handle it. If I would be living with family or close friends that would be different. In the end I'd rather drive 2 hours 3x a week rather than moving away. I have a HUGE respect for the athletes that do though. That's dedication right there.

This brings up another question. For big name contender gyms how do they handle the 'commuter' athlete? Do the other athletes welcome them and do all the programs even have housing arrangements? We all know Top Gun does and am pretty sure Cali does but what about the others like T&S, SoT, CA....

I love cheer more then the next, but at the same time, I personally think unless my child has some form of Olympic potential in ANY sport, I would need to decide what is the best for my family. Just because some day I may have one worlds level cheerleader, I may have 2 other children who excel in their travel soccer club at home or are just musically inclined. I just feel cheerleading isn't worth it. The outside world doesn't get cheer. I coach a high school and for example, a woman I take Zumba with does not understand what we do. She has 2 high school children in a nearby PUBLIC school district and it just doesn't sink to her that I also coach at a local high school and the girls compete and so on. She does not get it and thinks it's just an exercise class. Her son played football... their school has cheerleaders... no idea.

People know Olympic sports, diving, gymnastics, figure skating etc (and truthfully there are only a few training programs in the US to get them to the olympic level for these specialties), they know football, soccer, marching band and in every state there are some great programs and coaches for college scholarships and some of the best D1 coaching. Why cheerleaders are a mystery to most, I don't know, but I don't think it's worth uprooting someone to chase a ring. Its the memories that lead up to the ring too and family at that age is so important. Also, all over the country there are great teams who have a worlds ring shot.

So many high level athletes who have moved away in their teen years always say that it was great but they missed their families...

OK, rant over.

This brings up another question. For big name contender gyms how do they handle the 'commuter' athlete? Do the other athletes welcome them and do all the programs even have housing arrangements? We all know Top Gun does and am pretty sure Cali does but what about the others like T&S, SoT, CA....
This is my Issue. I don't mind that they want to be at this gym. Yay! Welcome! I do mind the complete lack of consideration to the other 30 athletes who are there each practice and Lord be with the soul who tells me their child will only be at weekend practices because its too much to travel during the school week. Wut? We've gone weeks not working a stunt or pyramid because some travelers Only come once a week. But, if my kid said she was missing due to a party, dance, school project, etc. she'd be threatened to bump to an alternate. Not cool to have a double standard.

This is my Issue. I don't mind that they want to be at this gym. Yay! Welcome! I do mind the complete lack of consideration to the other 30 athletes who are there each practice and Lord be with the soul who tells me their child will only be at weekend practices because its too much to travel during the school week. Wut? We've gone weeks not working a stunt or pyramid because some travelers Only come once a week. But, if my kid said she was missing due to a party, dance, school project, etc. she'd be threatened to bump to an alternate. Not cool to have a double standard.

I will say this does not fly at my gym. My kids (6 in the carpool) are at every practice and there are 3 practices a week in season. We have had a few move to cheer at our gym and its all on them. There are no privileges for commuters. If you want to be at our gym you will find a way to get to all practices.

I'm currently as y'all say "chasing a ring", but it's not just about the ring, it's about the jacket too! ;)

No, I'm totally joking!

For me, yes, I LOVE having the opportunity of being on a truly competitive Worlds team, but it's only PART of the experience. I have the best coaches that I've ever had! and I have tons of them!

If any athlete gets this opportunity, and they're willing to give up everything else, let them go!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || [

I think I was a commuter athlete before it was considered the norm... I traveled 2 hours each way about 5 days a week for practice. I would often stay on Saturday nights with a team member instead of driving home since we had practice on Sundays also, and I felt like it made me more connected with everyone. I had my own life, but I also spent tons of time with my team since I was so far away. They were my family, and still some of my best friends... I always felt like it was the best of both worlds-I had school and friends there and my team. I never felt out of place or not a part of the team just because I lived far, in fact it was probably opposite. People went out of their way to make sure I had a place to stay if I wanted.

I think I was a commuter athlete before it was considered the norm... I traveled 2 hours each way about 5 days a week for practice. I would often stay on Saturday nights with a team member instead of driving home since we had practice on Sundays also, and I felt like it made me more connected with everyone. I had my own life, but I also spent tons of time with my team since I was so far away. They were my family, and still some of my best friends... I always felt like it was the best of both worlds-I had school and friends there and my team. I never felt out of place or not a part of the team just because I lived far, in fact it was probably opposite. People went out of their way to make sure I had a place to stay if I wanted.

Do you think would be the same if you couldn't commute daily and maybe had to live with a host family for the season?

CP travels that distance for practice 2x a week and thinking he has had the same experience as you did so far.

Do you think would be the same if you couldn't commute daily and maybe had to live with a host family for the season?

CP travels that distance for practice 2x a week and thinking he has had the same experience as you did so far.

I think I cheered in a different era (a pre-worlds one). I loved having the balance of high school and my team and everything else... I don't thin I could have lived with a host family, but I never had that burning desire to win worlds. My national championships were a dream come true!

wow... maybe your tone is getting lost in the translation of text here, but, I am willing to bet it is not a "lack of consideration" on their part, and yes, Lord be with the soul of the poor kid who has parents angry for something that was agreed to with the gym owner. Perhaps you need to take up your frustration with your gym owner since they are allowing it, rather than with the athlete who made an agreement with the gym and spent thousands of dollars to relocate and spend a year away from home to fulfill a dream and was told it would be perfectly fine to commute and miss certain practices! I guess this is making me rethink allowing my CP to super senior at her dream gym.

I'm currently as y'all say "chasing a ring", but it's not just about the ring, it's about the jacket too! ;)

No, I'm totally joking!

For me, yes, I LOVE having the opportunity of being on a truly competitive Worlds team, but it's only PART of the experience. I have the best coaches that I've ever had! and I have tons of them!

If any athlete gets this opportunity, and they're willing to give up everything else, let them go!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || [

You are only partially joking about the jacket haha

I will say this does not fly at my gym. My kids (6 in the carpool) are at every practice and there are 3 practices a week in season. We have had a few move to cheer at our gym and its all on them. There are no privileges for commuters. If you want to be at our gym you will find a way to get to all practices.

I feel that's the way it should be too. If you are going to commit to a team for a season, do it at 100% like everyone else. Gym owners shouldn't make exceptions either because that may cause some grumbling among teammates.

wow... maybe your tone is getting lost in the translation of text here, but, I am willing to bet it is not a "lack of consideration" on their part, and yes, Lord be with the soul of the poor kid who has parents angry for something that was agreed to with the gym owner. Perhaps you need to take up your frustration with your gym owner since they are allowing it, rather than with the athlete who made an agreement with the gym and spent thousands of dollars to relocate and spend a year away from home to fulfill a dream and was told it would be perfectly fine to commute and miss certain practices! I guess this is making me rethink allowing my CP to super senior at her dream gym.
I'm not thinking of those who moved here. I don't know of any at our gym who moved to be here. I'm thinking of those who tryout, get placed on a wonderful team, and agree to fulfill the rules and obligations. Then 3 months down the road realize traveling 2, 3, 4 hours one way is expensive and time consuming and then tell me they will only be at half the practices. I start day 1 telling parents to think about the year as a whole. It sounds sexy now, but how will you feel that second month of school when kids are tired, bogged down with hw and the gas bills are rolling in. Plus you haven't competed yet so the hard work from summer hasn't been really seen yet.
We are not lacking for athletes so I doubt our owner would agree to that. But now that our alternates have moved to other teams or programs and choreography is done its trickier. I really don't think most parents who leave work early or miss another childs activity to get one to practice would be okay with someone missing half the practices because they just realized how time consuming it is to be in all star.
I didn't mean to come across as ugly I just wish some people would look at the big picture when they commit. I certainly don't think every commuter behaves this way.

I'm not thinking of those who moved here. I don't know of any at our gym who moved to be here. I'm thinking of those who tryout, get placed on a wonderful team, and agree to fulfill the rules and obligations. Then 3 months down the road realize traveling 2, 3, 4 hours one way is expensive and time consuming and then tell me they will only be at half the practices. I start day 1 telling parents to think about the year as a whole. It sounds sexy now, but how will you feel that second month of school when kids are tired, bogged down with hw and the gas bills are rolling in. Plus you haven't competed yet so the hard work from summer hasn't been really seen yet.
We are not lacking for athletes so I doubt our owner would agree to that. But now that our alternates have moved to other teams or programs and choreography is done its trickier. I really don't think most parents who leave work early or miss another childs activity to get one to practice would be okay with someone missing half the practices because they just realized how time consuming it is to be in all star.
I didn't mean to come across as ugly I just wish some people would look at the big picture when they commit. I certainly don't think every commuter behaves this way.

This explanation has a completely different tone and perspective than your previous comment. This I can see as a valid point but the previous one not so much if the deal was struck at the onset which is what I took it as being and am assuming so did quitthedrama.

Back