All-Star Cheer Alliance 16 Competition

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think that's kind of the case with most sports that have a subjective scoring component though. It's difficult for casual viewers to understand because they aren't as obsessed as we are and haven't taken the time to learn all of the rules. Like NBC still uses that system of green, yellow, and red arrows to explain scores in artistic gymnastics even though the "Perfect 10" scoring system was replaced almost 11 years ago. And, truthfully, I don't think the scoring system in gymnastics is that difficult to understand, but to casual viewers who only watch during the Olympics, a quick explanation like "the score has two components: the difficulty score and the execution score and you add the two to get the final score" is necessary to help viewers understand the results of the competition. Casual viewers probably won't understand how cheerleading is scored if they stumble upon it on TV, but the commentators can just provide an explanation as to how routines are scored or how grand champions are selected when they are announced. To clear up confusion about scoring for both casual viewers and fans of the sport, I think a universal score sheet and a Code of Points would go a long way. But I think a COP would be difficult to implement and judge so who knows.

@Eyes On The Prize I don't want to to double post, but wasn't that certain organization involved in the Cheer Alliance Competition? I thought I read they sponsored the prom or dinner or something. Not trying to argue cause I agree with pretty much everything you've said, but I just think it's sorta funny that the Cheer Alliance was formed in spite of this organization, yet they were still involved in the competition in some form. And I also think it's funny how rising costs is a huge issue because of this company, but the Cheer Alliance decides to hold their competition in one of the most expensive cities in the world during one of the most expensive times. I just don't really understand the purpose of the Cheer Alliance and this competition lol.
From my understanding, they hosted the prom or fashion show or something on friday and then sponsored uniforms for the "grand champ" team. So they were technically there but did they make a large profit from it like they would from from NCA or their other big comps? They spent some money on the prom and now they are responsible for new uniforms for TGLC. Im sure they made some money but they didnt have control over the competition, they didnt benefit from ticket sales to the comp, didnt sound like there was Stay-to-Play restrictions for parents.

IMO, this seems like a good step forward in the whole "lets take back control of the industry" thing. Ill be the first to admit that in no way did i think it was perfect this year; there were definitely things that needed improvement, NYC was probabaly a bad place to have it for a lot of reasons, but if they tweak some things for next year and address some of the criticisms people had, then I think this really has potential. Do I think we need another invitational event? DEFINITELY NOT. But ill support the heck out of it if its a positive step out of the Varsity stronghold. I really dont mind if Varsity is participating in things. I just dont want them to be able to control all of it they way the do now.

Side note: It'd be cool to make the Alliance less of an invitational comp and more of a "kick off" competition for the season for some of the big world contenders. If they used the world scoresheets, itd allow the worlds teams to kind of see how their routines will stack up against others in their division early on in the season. I cant recall if other comps use the worlds score sheets but if there arent any, that could give Alliance a reason for existing, kinda give them an edge over Varsity comps. We already have a million comps that function the same. Do something different and create a reason for teams to come back, ya know?

Overall, I was unimpressed. NYC the week before Christmas (and the weekend after BUBT) was extremely expensive and it was too cold to really enjoy NYC for what it was. I felt like I was at a local comp in a high school gym. I didn't have issues with the simple backdrop. But the whole thing seemed, well, 'po-dunk' to me. I liked the ushers that kept rude people from walking up and down the aisles the whole time. The facility had very limited bathrooms but what they did have was clean. That was about the extent of what I liked. As far as the red carpet event, what a total waste of a $600 dress. My daughter stood on this red carpet for about 4 minutes. Parents weren't allowed to take photos and were rushed off to the 'parent lounge' which consisted of about 20 plastic chairs and 5 plastic tables. Most of us sat in the floor. My 13 year old was done with the dance portion after about 45 minutes. She said that the music was explicit and the dancing was worse. Uber after the event was soaring up to $75, so we elected to walk in the filth, slushy brown snow, and trash. We were accosted by a drunk homeless man who I thought I was going to have to kill (or be killed).

Overall I easily spent double than I do on a trip to UCA/Worlds/Summit in Disney - and we all know how expensive Disney is. I would prefer not to return.

I wonder how "invitational" it was. Spirix went and, though I respect the gym, it's not the mostly well-known gym in Québec. I know they are somewhat affiliated with Kick's Athletics (an EP) and it might be the reason why but...

I could almost cut and paste my comments from Champions League and use it as a review for this weekend.

First and foremost, my daughter and several of her gymmates did not get to watch the Saturday morning play-ins, because they refused to let athletes in who were in FULL uniform and competing later that morning without their wristbands. Their team meeting was scheduled after the play-ins so they would have a chance to cheer on the teams from our gym who were competing, as well as some of our previous athletes who were competing with TGLC. The whole reason that I was excited for this event was so that the younger kids could experience Worlds level teams. Luckily, we did get to see them at night, but several of the youth level kids did not go to that event because they were sold out or because they didn't want to stay out late since they were competing even earlier the next morning. Their one opportunity to see the Worlds teams was by watching the Play-ins and they were denied.

The ticketing procedure was a mess. We arrived when doors opened. (In the snow , at the entrance that they told us to go. Of course that entrance was locked and we had to schlep through wet snow, two blocks to the real entrance.). There were at least 100 people in line in front of us, in the PREPAID line, to exchange paper for bands. There was only one person working the line.

I doubled checked again (since everyone was getting conflicting answers) that level 1-5R athletes needed a ticket to Cheer Alliance that evening and they said yes. Another wasted purchase.My kid walked in with her just her athlete writsband.

They were struggling with sightlines they whole day from the judges table. They took away a row of seating from VIP/parents. About an hour into the Play-in event, they also took our front row along the side of the stage, leaving all of us without seats during the play- in event. About ten minutes later, they came back and put the seats back... which thankfully we reclaimed, but what the heck? lol

They need to add real stadium seating at this event. Sightlines should never be an issue.

Scoring seemed to be very focused on technique. Some of the level 5 scores surprised me, but, I fully admit that I was watching with a spectator's eye, not as a judge or a coach. The divisions that CP competed in, placement seemed right on. Her teams walked away with a first and a second.Imo, that was exactly what they earned.

The announcer needs to stop with the 9/11 comments about security, especially during the Cheer Alliance event. Do not use the fire marshall and terrorism, as an excuse for a crowded venue. If you really cared about safety, we would have been searched at the entrance. The comments about saving seats with backpacks, were over the top. It upset the native NJ and NYC people and put the out-of-towners at unease.

Pros..
The level of talent was amazing! I was blown away by what I saw. I could easily see this event growing into being known as one of the official starts of the season. As I mentioned earlier, our seats all weekend were on the side of the stage. It allowed us to witness the amazing connections that the athletes and coaches have. I could look into the crowds and easily understood how these kids get addicted to cheering. I also loved being able to see the shared moments of the athletes during the performances. The high fives, the words of encouragement shared, the looks at the coaches when some thing went wrong and the elated looks when it went right.

I found myself immersed in Twist and Shout families for most of the weekend. It added some extra joy because they were loving the whole NYC twist to the event. I also fell in love with the Cheer Athletics program. all I can say is WOW.

Top Gun Angels stole the show again during the prom, with their white gowns. They are stunning.

All of the management and staff tried to be helpful...most of the problems stemmed from lack of communication.

We stayed at the Westin Times Square. It was a great experience. Maybe not $600 worth of great ;) but still worth it imo. Parking was right across the street, and we used Uber most of the weekend. The venue was a distance away, but there really was nothing closer to be considered a host hotel.

All-in-all, this event has enourmous potential. It was not bad for a first time event. If they address their communication issues. Update their website with actual information, and work on the seating and sightline issues, then it could be amazing. It also sounds like they really need to up the "prom" event. The gyms want to attend. Make it so everyone wants to!

I'm 99% sure I sat right by you and your CP during the Alliance part (I was sitting on the floor & had a Hamilton beanie on and I was with ECE people). A WC coach came to sit next you at one point (if it truly was you), Rich I think is his name? He was hilarious. I'm really shy/socially anxious or I would've said something to you but I was too scared!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder how "invitational" it was. Spirix went and, though I respect the gym, it's not the mostly well-known gym in Québec. I know they are somewhat affiliated with Kick's Athletics (an EP) and it might be the reason why but...

I believe they were a play-in team. Any Worlds team could compete in the play-in round. It wasn't by invite only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm 99% sure I sat right by you and your CP during the Alliance part (I was sitting on the floor & had a Hamilton beanie on and I was with ECE people). A WC coach came to sit next you at one point (if it truly was you), Rich I think is his name? He was hilarious. I'm really shy/socially anxious or I would've said something to you but I was too scared!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

omg ...yes,that was me :)

and I can't believe you didn't say hi @maine2 ! That was Coach Tiy with us during Cheer Alliance, and Coach Rich took that seat earlier during the day (and came over briefly during the evening but he gets quiet when nervous). My poor CP kept getting booted to the floor, but it definitely was worth it to hear Tiy's narrative of the evening.

Last edited:
and I can't believe you didn't say hi @maine2 ! That was Coach Ty with us during Cheer Alliance, and Coach Rich took that seat earlier during the day (and came over briefly during the evening but hegets quiet when nervous). My poor CP kept getting booted to the floor, but it definitely was worth it to hear Ty's narrative of the evening.

Looking at a few of your pics I think cheer son was near you for a brief moment as well.

**Quietly waiting to let the dogs out**

That was the program uniform from the Orlando location. It's been almost 3 years since they gotten the black so I think a new one was due this year.
TGLC got new uniforms from Rebel this year. One of my dear friends daughter is on the team.

Back