All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

but aren't there alternates at every gym...?! Most teams down here start off a little bigger and the number usually dwindles down over the summer.

from what i've seen, a kid solely being an alternate usually does not work out. (which is why i am so intrigued if a gym finds a way to make it work) it's a lot of time and money to invest in possibly never taking the floor. most gyms i've seen end up just pulling from other teams as needed because it plain doesn't work. if it does work, the alternate usually has one "home" team, where they are actually actively practicing and competing. (like if you're just an alternate, do you get a tuition discount? only have to pay comp fees if you're on the floor? logistically it's just messy to me)

i like the idea of having a larger number practice through summer and seeing what works while leaving room for kids quitting and shifting... i just wonder if the smaller team size is chosen and you didn't dwindle enough, where do the extras go? (especially at a big gym like CA that potentially has waiting lists, so there aren't exactly openings all over)

I'll use CEA as an example on this topic - they may take 40+ girls to camp for senior elite and those extras may sit in on practices once or twice a week to keep up with the routine throughout the season in case injuries/quitting happens and they're needed, but they're usually taking the floor with Lady/Coed/Junior Elite and utilizing their skills in the meantime. just in case they never get called to duty on SE. (granted it's a bit different since you're almost guaranteed to be on more than one team at CEA, which i don't love... but in terms of alternates i feel like that's the only way for it to be successful) If it does work for CA, all the more power to you!

I can't wait to hear the final decision on Panthers. The suspense is killing me! Both are great divisions to be in

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I can't wait to hear the final decision on Panthers. The suspense is killing me! Both are great divisions to be in

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't expect a firm decision any time soon. My guess is that it will be weeks before that decision is made.

so i'm guessing they will be practicing with more than 30 girls? since more than 30 girls received a phone call saying "you made panthers!" so if they choose to go medium are there openings on other worlds teams for the extras who may not work on panthers? or if they're young enough do they go to jags? or are they simply alternates who may or may not get to compete?

i know you are not currently present so you may not have a specific answer... i just find this all intriguing at any gym because someone being a benchwarmer all season just doesn't fly in the cheer world. (understandably so, it's expensive.)

So true about expenses! I'm not sure about how CA an other gyms handle alternates but here alternates are given three options; stay an alternate, be moved to another team or be a cross-over and only pay for the team you compete with. The last option is my favorite as it gives kids whom aren't quite ready a chance to progress in higher levels while cementing skills they've already learned.

And onto a completely different topic, our of curiosity because of all the success in the IO divisions, does CA's tryout turnout for open teams closely match that of the Senior Worlds teams? :)

Few people would want to listen to whining about "CA Probs."
probably very similar to every gym out there. I did see your post before you edited it. Made me smile, since it shows we're all living in the same crazy world.

probably very similar to every gym out there. I did see your post before you edited it. Made me smile, since it shows we're all living in the same crazy world.

One of biggest things I have learned over the last few years is that people (ourselves included) have a hard time viewing things objectively or from others' perspective. Your view is highly colored by how it impacts you personally.

Examples:

Kids moving from one program to the another - If they are moving TO yours, it is because you provide a quality service and care about the athletes in your program. If they are moving AWAY from yours, it is because the other program recruited them and/or did something underhanded. If not that, then they are going there for a very superficial reason. (the "name", the cheerlebrities, etc.)

Opening a new gym - If you do it, it is to provide some of your treasured employees an opportunity to advance their career. If someone else does it, it is because they are greedy and trying to bully or destroy other businesses.

Post something on twitter/IG/etc. - If you do it, it is because you want to share something you are proud of or something that could make some your followers happy. If someone else does it, it is a strategic move specifically designed to hurt someone else.

Athletes celebrating a win - If they are yours, it is because they are happy. If they are someone else's, they are just trying to rub it in your face.

Coaches changing gyms - If you bring someone over, it is because you want to provide a better opportunity for that coach and his/her family and you believe they are a good fit for your organization. (Perhaps they even came to you requesting a job.) If your employee leaves for somewhere else, the other organization was targeting you personally and has somehow tricked the coach into believing they will be better off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back