All-Star Cheer Athletics (questions/rumors)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

One of biggest things I have learned over the last few years is that people (ourselves included) have a hard time viewing things objectively or from others' perspective. Your view is highly colored by how it impacts you personally.

Examples:

Kids moving from one program to the another - If they are moving TO yours, it is because you provide a quality service and care about the athletes in your program. If they are moving AWAY from yours, it is because the other program recruited them and/or did something underhanded. If not that, then they are going there for a very superficial reason. (the "name", the cheerlebrities, etc.)

Opening a new gym - If you do it, it is to provide some of your treasured employees an opportunity to advance their career. If someone else does it, it is because they are greedy and are trying to bully or destroy other businesses.

Post something on twitter/IG/etc. - If you do it, it is because you want to share something you are proud of or something that could make some your followers happy. If someone else does it, it is a strategic move designed to hurt someone else.

Athletes celebrating a win. - If they are yours, it is because they are happy. If they are someone else's, they are trying to rub it in your face.

Offering employees a job - If you do it, it is because you want to provide a better opportunity for that coach and his/her family and you believe they are a good fit for your organization. (Perhaps they even came to you requesting a job.) If your employee leaves for somewhere else, the other organization was targeting you personally and has somehow tricked the coach into believing they will be

better off.

This might be the best post in FB history!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Is there a list of the CA Austin teams for this year?

I know they've only announced:
Onyxcats - Worlds Division TBA
Crystalcats - J5
Pearlcats - 4.2

And then a side note, what theme are they going with for team names at the Frisco location? I haven't heard any news from there lately..?

I

Crystalcats - J5
Pearlcats - 4.2

And then a side note, what theme are they going with for team names at the Frisco location? I haven't heard any news from there lately..?
I know platinumcats is still a team, last year I believe they were senior 4

Crystalcats - J5
Pearlcats - 4.2

Ignore! (wrong thread)

Crystalcats - J5
Pearlcats - 4.2

Saphire Y3 is back - the only Youth team - no Mini
J1 Emerald back
J2 Coral back
J3 Jewel new
J4 Ruby back
J5 Crystal new
S4 Platinum back
S4.2 Pearl new team old S3 name
And Diamond and Onyx back

Some are large some are small but they are still working with the numbers so not sure which teams will stay large/small
Not sure about Frisco or NC

Crystalcats - J5
Pearlcats - 4.2

CoralCats - J2
CrystalCats - Jr 5
DiamondCats - S Co 5R
Emeraldcats - J1
JewelCats - J3
OnyxCats - S Co 5
PearlCats - S4.2
RubyCats - Sr Co 4
SapphireCats - Y3

I believe that Frisco will be a celestial theme (StarCats, SunCats, GalaxyCats, etc.)

when you opened Frisco and Austin, what percentage of kids would you say were Plano kids moving closer to home versus new-to-CA athletes altogether?

when you opened Frisco and Austin, what percentage of kids would you say were Plano kids moving closer to home versus new-to-CA athletes altogether?

We haven't really run the numbers on that yet, but I believe it is mostly new athletes for teams and about 50/50 for classes. Classes were getting close to capacity in Plano, so that was sort of part of the plan.

For the CA gyms that have had tryouts, do you know how many athletes tried out and got turned away because lack of room or if there wasn't a great team that matched their skills?

Also what happens when an athlete comes in that would fit nicely onto a certain level that you don't have available and there's not enough athletes to make a new team? For example if you only had 2 or 3 athletes come in who would work well on a J3 team but you old had J2, J4, and a S3. Would you send the athletes away or try to fit them onto a less than perfect matching team for them? If you offered them another team are you more likely to offer them to level down or level up, or offer changing from Junior to Senior even if it means they might be more likely to reject the team placement and change gyms? I assume this isn't really a big problem at Plano, but with the newer CA gyms with less teams I wouldn't be surprised if it was a problem.

For the CA gyms that have had tryouts, do you know how many athletes tried out and got turned away because lack of room or if there wasn't a great team that matched their skills?

Also what happens when an athlete comes in that would fit nicely onto a certain level that you don't have available and there's not enough athletes to make a new team? For example if you only had 2 or 3 athletes come in who would work well on a J3 team but you old had J2, J4, and a S3. Would you send the athletes away or try to fit them onto a less than perfect matching team for them? If you offered them another team are you more likely to offer them to level down or level up, or offer changing from Junior to Senior even if it means they might be more likely to reject the team placement and change gyms? I assume this isn't really a big problem at Plano, but with the newer CA gyms with less teams I wouldn't be surprised if it was a problem.

It is extremely rare for us to simply turn someone away who tries out. If anyone does get "cut", it usually only college-aged and above athletes where we only have Worlds-level teams and the competition for spots in insanely competitive. I can't remember the last time we just didn't have a team for someone 18 or younger.

We do everything we can to find a fit for athletes that want to join mid-season. We can usually make it work, but the options are sometimes more limited than if they had gone through the actual tryout or done a private tryout prior to team announcements. At that point, it is mostly about finding a place where they will help one of the teams that has already been formed. Their placement depends on where we have a need.

The "if you don't put my athlete where she wants, then we will leave and go somewhere else" threat doesn't typically work on us. I understand the athlete/parent perspective on that, but if we simply let people hand-pick their own teams or roles in a stunt group, then the whole system basically falls apart. We will try to sit down with the parent and/or athlete and try to explain why we placed them on a particular team, but it is incredibly rare that that conversation leads to the roster change that parent wants.

I'm so sad that Ocelots are gone they were one of my favourite team names ever. How can you not love them?

images

How many hours go into sorting teams and deciding placements? Not including the formal tryout, just deciding who goes where and what not.
Off the top of my head, I would think it is 50-60+ hours. I you consider 30-ish people working on it, that is nearly 1800 man-hours. If you count the phone calls, it is the rough equivalent of one person's full-time job for a year.

Back