All-Star Cheer Burnout

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 14, 2018
Does anyone ever get tired of the drama? My daughter has been in All star cheer for 6 years and I swear it gets worse every year. I stay out of the gym only pick and drop my daughter off. But the drama still finds me. Do all gyms have so much drama? Are all kids sports this dramatic? My daughter loves cheer but everything that comes along with it feels like it’s becoming too much. The gym owner seems to create a lot of the drama. The owner tells private business to her “friends” that are cheer moms then they spread it around. We have no other options as the closest other gym is almost 3 hours away. Please inspire me to continue this journey. My daily question is why do I pay so much money just to be stressed out.

Try talking to the gym owner.
Do you have any performance rec programs around you? I know there are some awesome programs that could enter the allstar divisions if they wanted to.

Try talking to the gym owner.
Do you have any performance rec programs around you? I know there are some awesome programs that could enter the allstar divisions if they wanted to.

Yes I’ve tried many times to speak to the gym owner and it goes no where. She’s lost over half of her program over it, and nothing changes. Our first year there was 175 kids last season there was 73, which will go down again this coming season. She’s honestly just left with girls who love the sport so the girls they have are amazing athletes. A few new older girls were trying out this season but it’s already been said they can’t create a team just for a few new ones because the girls they have left are all level 3 and up. 4 years ago we had a mini team of almost 30 last season we had no mini team. There’s no rec or school program that would be challenging enough for my daughter. It’s just so frustrating and just wish it was somewhat enjoyable. I stay out of it as much as I can, even at Summit asked for my room to be in the back corner so I could stay out of whatever was going to go on.

For sure all competitive organized activities, definitely not just cheer, come with a healthy dose of drama. Some adults are
more professional and better at avoiding drama than others though too. There's a good chance your daughter is not nearly as bothered by it as you. If that's the case, just let her do her thing and separate yourself from it as much as possible. I'd say my gym is somewhere in the middle of the drama continuum. When it gets to me I just stay away for a while.

We have had drama in cheer, in soccer....any kid activity that directly involve parents but more importantly owners/coaches who do not know how to shut it down, you will unfortunately find drama.

In your case, if an owner is telling her friends things that are going on in the gym and personal things about the athletes, you have a huge red flag being waved in your face that it is a toxic environment. It stinks you don't have any other options close by. Personally having gone through youth league/rec, school cheer and all-stars from start to finish with my cp, I would suggest you if try to find another activity for her if at all possible. Especially since you don't have another close by gym to check out. Just my .02.

Back